New Car Tax Rules

richmillions

Actually makes a lot of sense. No more ambiguity, no more wondering if you've git a dodgy disc (it does happen), just a plain rule that keys everyone know where they stand. Paying monthly is a boost too, if you're rubbish at saving.

That's not the same thing. That's them guesstimating what you'll be using, and is down to the individual to sort. The VED system is not even comparable.

It's the same as paying for your TV licence by DD. Or a magazine subscription. Or anything else, basically.

But yeah, I guess they expect most people to just do it monthly via DD from now on. I mean, why wouldn't you?

Normally I would, but isn't it actually dearer to pay by DD? Goes against the general rule of thum eg. electricity bills etc.

A one off cheaper payment online in five minutes is no great hardship. A bit mean to those that may need to spread their payments, a continuation of the old, dearer, bi-six month payment I suppose.

Looking forward to ripping the clutter out of the corner of the screen though. Now if only they could find a way of ditching the number plates the looks would be much improved....

I don't think anyone knows what the monthly cost will be yet. I certainly wouldn't expect it to be cheaper though!

I can live with paying a couple of quid more, tbh. VED is the cheapest part of car ownership, for the vast majority of people.

That's not the same thing. That's them guesstimating what you'll be using, and is down to the individual to sort. The VED system is not even comparable.

It's the same as paying for your TV licence by DD. Or a magazine subscription. Or anything else, basically.

Completely agree, we had a ludicrous amount demanded on a guestimate last year, simple phone call and happened to mention we'd been looking at other suppliers, problem solved :)

I don't think anyone knows what the monthly cost will be yet. I certainly wouldn't expect it to be cheaper though!

I can live with paying a couple of quid more, tbh. VED is the cheapest part of car ownership, for the vast majority of people.

I seem to recall the monthly cost will equate to the same over all cost as buying 6 months at a time, which I seem to think is being dropped from 10% to 5% over paying annually.

There is, of course, a fair chance that this complete b*ll*cks that my brain has just made up to make me look stupid for sh*ts and giggles. It does that from time to time.

ETA:

Yay, my brain doesn't hate me today :D ;

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/tiin/vehicle-excise-dd.pdf

At present, paying VED bi-annually attracts a surcharge of 10 per cent. Biannual and

monthly payments made by direct debit will attract a lower 5 per cent surcharge

Edited by ilogikal1