Condensation Problem Solved

Johnny A

I was having a problem with really bad overnight condensation in the rear window of the Z.

Checked the hatch seals etc and everything looked fine. Also, looking online, it seems a pretty common problem and a few sites recommended one of those bags of silica gel crystals which absorb the condensation in the car and can be dried out in an oven or on a radiator when "full".

I thought it was worth a go and bought one of these off EBay:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1e86d72254

Here's a pic of it in the car (sorry about the poor quality):

post-9975-0-80495900-1392714305_thumb.jpeg

Anyway, it seems to work really well and the rear window is now clear in the mornings. :thumbs: I haven't needed to dry out the crystals yet (an indicator strip on the outside of the bag tells you when you need to do this).

I run my car with the aircon on at all times but I've found that that doesn't stop condensation accumulating if the car is sitting overnight (or worse, for a few days), in Winter conditions. No problem at other times of the year.

Also, if you have overnight condensation, while the aircon plus the rear demister will clear the window eventually after you start driving, it takes a fair bit of time and leaves dried water droplet marks all over the inside of the glass.

Can I use a few of those little silicon bags you get in packaging? :lol: The one's that say 'Do NOT eat, Do NOT throw in the BIn' - So they just end up floating around at work...

I know the ones you mean but aren't they a bit small (sauce sachet sized)? I've got one under my seat in the 350 (away from dangling cables) but I think it's 500g or a kilo. Works like a charm if you remember to 'recharge' it every now and again.

Thanks for the recommendation!

I will be buying from this seller, HOWEVER... The seller sells 2 x 500g bags for less than 1 x 1KG bag. (About £3 less)

Would this not be the better option? Because then I could throw one in the back and the front? For less money...

Correct me if I'm wrong guys!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I will be buying from this seller, HOWEVER... The seller sells 2 x 500g bags for less than 1 x 1KG bag. (About £3 less)

Would this not be the better option? Because then I could throw one in the back and the front? For less money...

Better than me throwing out 100's of little sachet's like confetti all in my car :lol:

Better than me throwing out 100's of little sachet's like confetti all in my car :lol:

Well yeah compared to that mines a brilliant idea hahaha

i posted on here before with the same problem and found these on ebay and have bought 2 one has worked well and have a spare to swap over when other one is fully absorbed!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ThoMar-1kg-Air-Dry-Car-Van-Dehumidifier-For-Condensation-Steamy-Windows-/300850927795?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item460c1cd8b3

I bought the 2 x 500g bags off this seller for £8.50 instead. Throw one in the back and one in the front!

Can't understand his pricing tbh as surely there's more material used for 2 medium bags than one large bag and the same amount of gel granules are present. Hmm.

Top tip, I bought 2 as well :)