RX8

Ekona

EP3 Type Rs are starting to get a bit long in the tooth now, would you not consider an FN2? Ignore what the haters say, it's actually a decent ride and the interior is a vast improvement over the EP3.

In reference to rt biscuit, I must remember to use quotes. :\

Edited by mouthwash

Uneconomical? Yeah, not great on mpg. Only 3mpg worse that a Zed, though.

Burns oil? It's by design, it keeps the rotor tips oiled from the sump oil. Fit a second bottle full of oil to pump in and you'll never burn the sump oil again,

Always go bang? Nope. They do need a rebuild from time to time, but again that's by design.

In return, you get a beautifully smooth engine that never lugs, revs to high heaven and sounds very unique, whilst contributing a low CofG allowing the handling to be sublime.

I had a 192......the economy is chronic. If I had the 240 I guess it would have been a bit more palatable.

Never seemed to use that much oil though.

EP3 Type Rs are starting to get a bit long in the tooth now, would you not consider an FN2? Ignore what the haters say, it's actually a decent ride and the interior is a vast improvement over the EP3.

In reference to rt biscuit, I must remember to use quotes. :\

had an FN2 years ago, always had a soft spot for the EP3, i like the fact i looks like amini estate, and easy to drop all the seats and turn it in to one.

Wow a 2007 car with 34k on the clock, 18s and bose for 2600!!!! How are they so cheap?

Also does the reliability get better the newer the model due to revisions? I remember my old place a colleague had a 54 plate iirc and it would never start etc use oil and generally look worse for wear

But for the price its almost tempting!

They do get a little bit more reliable, but not a huge amount. Biggest change IIRC was the fitting of a much larger starter motor instead, which made cranking the engine easier and less likely to cause issues. There were other smaller changers to improve cold start and the notorious flooding probs, but nothing that would stop me buying a car of any vintage.

The later ones are so cheap due to the higher road tax. Crazy how another £200 a year will put people off buying a 20mpg car!

I know sounds silly :lol:

Looks like the model to go for is the PZ, with 18" OZ alloys, Prodrive fettled aero and suspension in the form of bilstein dampers and eibach springs 15mm lower. Different mirrors and rear spoiler. Also apparently a different exhaust and engine map for the PZ so slightly higher than 231?

Actually really tempting! Off to do some more research

I had a RX8 for a while, fantastic car, really loved it. Would love to go back to one some day, very practical with the suicide doors. Only issue is the MPG being so much worse than the Zed for commuting. I was getting 18mpg in the RX8 and now 28MPG in the Zed

I had a RX8 for a while, fantastic car, really loved it. Would love to go back to one some day, very practical with the suicide doors. Only issue is the MPG being so much worse than the Zed for commuting. I was getting 18mpg in the RX8 and now 28MPG in the Zed

I found this. Teens round town.....twenties tickling it on the motorway.

Zed was low twenties rounf town and low thirty/upper twenties on a motorway tickle

Ive been thinking about one of these as a track car, but I always think about my mate's ownership of one...

Bought for £6k, mint with about 30k miles on it; under acceleration it seemed to jump, or lose power for a second, so he panicked and sold it for £4k a month after buying it :lol:

Still, I remember it handling really amazing even in the wet

I had a BB 231, with a few tasteful mods. Took it all round Europe twice, two Le Mans trips and a couple of other Euro jaunts, got a bit temperamental up in the Pyrenees, rattle in a can type noise (known issue, drop in compression/coil packs), great handling car and more comfortable than the Z. Had great practicality and not a bad turn of speed. Unfortunately, and it was the trips up the Alps/Pyrenees that highlighted this, there is no dicernable torque, very linear.

When warm, you needed to hit the 9.5k RPM (bleeped at 9k) for a bit of pace in the lower gears, you couldn't do it in 5th or 6th and stay under 120 mph, in fact I don't know anyone that has beeped in 6th!! It does have corrosion, reliability and inherent faults, but uses NO MORE oil than an average diesel.

In the end, 16-17mpg around town, no torque and plummeting re-sale values did it for me. I was travelling down to Stoke one evening and came off my jct with a 350 beside me and, in a moment of juvenile behavior, we had a bit of a play, it was like I was going backward, I was well and truly owned!!

The biggest fault with them is flooding, when the engine floods, it's a pain in the ar5e to get going. There's a shut down and start up procedure that's in the quick (idiots) guide, that unfortunately not all owners used, that can mitigate against flooding, this could cause catastrophic cat failure.

I only flooded mine once in nearly 4 years, the night before I picked up my first Z!!

Oh forgot to mention, Lexx took my front end apart and helped me fit oil and air con radiator protective grills (Racing Beat ones) a must fit option.

Posted this before I think, three of us in Pamplona, the real Bull Run!!

post-13779-0-05618100-1392572922_thumb.jpg

I still have a video of you dancing (badly) in Le Mans after we made the Whisky wall!

I also have pics of what you gits did to my brand new 350z! :lol:

Yeah, the Racing Beat grills are a must to protect the oil coolers and AC from stone damage.

I keep getting tempted to take a punt on one for a few £k and supercharge it.

Thing is, they look a little dated now imo.

But to drive.....easily one of the best handling cars I have driven.

I had a BB 231, with a few tasteful mods. Took it all round Europe twice, two Le Mans trips and a couple of other Euro jaunts, got a bit temperamental up in the Pyrenees, rattle in a can type noise (known issue, drop in compression/coil packs), great handling car and more comfortable than the Z. Had great practicality and not a bad turn of speed. Unfortunately, and it was the trips up the Alps/Pyrenees that highlighted this, there is no dicernable torque, very linear.

When warm, you needed to hit the 9.5k RPM (bleeped at 9k) for a bit of pace in the lower gears, you couldn't do it in 5th or 6th and stay under 120 mph, in fact I don't know anyone that has beeped in 6th!! It does have corrosion, reliability and inherent faults, but uses NO MORE oil than an average diesel.

In the end, 16-17mpg around town, no torque and plummeting re-sale values did it for me. I was travelling down to Stoke one evening and came off my jct with a 350 beside me and, in a moment of juvenile behavior, we had a bit of a play, it was like I was going backward, I was well and truly owned!!

The biggest fault with them is flooding, when the engine floods, it's a pain in the ar5e to get going. There's a shut down and start up procedure that's in the quick (idiots) guide, that unfortunately not all owners used, that can mitigate against flooding, this could cause catastrophic cat failure.

I only flooded mine once in nearly 4 years, the night before I picked up my first Z!!

Oh forgot to mention, Lexx took my front end apart and helped me fit oil and air con radiator protective grills (Racing Beat ones) a must fit option.

Posted this before I think, three of us in Pamplona, the real Bull Run!!

You can push start it to get it going after flooding. I found that to be the easiest way. Had my RX8 for almost 2 years. Was a REALLY fun car to have. The only reason I got rid was because the engine messed up. Now, just waiting to pick my 350z up. Anyone care to list the upgrades/downgrades from a rex to a zed?

It was between the Rx8 and 350Z for me, especially after a series of Rx7's.

I think they are cracking cars at a very attractive price and if i wanted something i would probably enjoy more on the track i probably would have gone for one.

Sadly i think they have crucified the rotaries reputation with the masses, had they released it with a rotary that lasted (100k + miles) it would have been a perfect headline for a new Rx7, but in reality, it was just another nail in the coffin :(

• Like 1

All this talk has got me hankering after another one :bang:

It's the car I owned for the longest, and probably the one that has given me the most pleasure to drive. It was certainly a better B Road car than my 350z was, although the 350 was better to drive long distances (I took them both to Le Mans at one time or another).