Shafted by Google

350zedd

links_zps9126dd61.jpg

So how do you run an online shop without a search engine!!? It's not much fun being at the mercy of Google. All to do with illegal links. That's pretty bad news for business! 6 weeks of work to do and a large cheque to write before we can put... in another request to reconsider. Our last request was rejected. If it works, we MIGHT get our website back in April if we're very lucky. If you run a business from a website - get it checked out before it's too late. You've been warned!

Sorry for the confusion....I'm no expert but here goes.....

Google are updating the way they work and tidying up the web! This means that many of the old methods of SEO (search engine optimisation) no longer work.

Up until recently, links were seen as a good thing for your website - ie. links from other websites to your own. A link could be an endorsement from a customer on a blog, or a recommendation on a forum...they all made your website more attractive to google. SEO businesses jumped on the bandwagon and bought cheap links in bulk...pretty much a link to your website on a blank page.

Effectively these bulk links tricked google into thinking that your website was a high-quality, popular website with good content.

Google no longer want to be tricked like this so they are being extra fastidious about link quality.

If the links to your website are numerous, unfavourable, questionable, dead or obsolete (very likely on an older website) google can take a manual action against you. You do not necessarily have to have been involved in any dodgy link building activities! far from it!

A manual action means that your website no longer appears in the google search engine and your website cannot be found through google! Bad news for online shops!

The process to get back on google is lengthy.

Firstly - all your links must be 'cleaned' and if you have 16,000 of them that is going to take some time.

If your link is not of supreme quality (ie. it is not 100% relevant to your site) it has to go. To get rid of a link, you have to contact the webmaster for the website that hosts the link...and ask them to remove it. In the likely event there is no reply you have to request removal of the link 3 times - before google can see that you have done your best and will automatically disavow the link.

Once you're ready, you can submit a reconsideration request to google. They may take up to 4 weeks to answer you. And the answer may be no, it may be yes.

And so the process continues....it's a gamble because no one is 100% sure what links are acceptable any more....as even healthy links have been rejected.

So get checking the links to your website, get them checked out...and if you get penalised - good luck!

Wait, so you're upset that all those cheap SEO tricks will no longer work, and you'll actually have to put some effort into advertising your website?

Or have I got that completely wrong?

I think he means he has a legit website which is backed by the original SEO optimisation theory. SEO companies have ruined it and now google is cleaning up the mess (rightly so) but as a result people who have innocently let the links lapse or perhaps are not absolutely 100% linked to their website are being taken offline whilst they clear it up.

Totally me agree with google to be honest but perhaps it's a bit harsh taking people straight offline before they've even been given a warning or time to sort it

Can't you pay google to promote your site? I'd look to do that in the meantime.

Funny you know, I specifically won't click on the sponsored links as i just associate them with the pain in the arse banners that we're talking about eradicating.

I know they're not but the word sponsored sort of says 'not that good but paid for because we can't get there off our own merits' to me.

Edited by Ricey
  • Like 1

Can't you pay google to promote your site? I'd look to do that in the meantime.

Funny you know, I specifically won't click on the sponsored links as i just associate them with the pain in the arse banners that we're talking about eradicating.

I know they're not but the word sponsored sort of says 'not that good but paid for because we can't get there off our own merits' to me.

I agree, but reputable/known brands are appearing in the top 3 (I've noticed this more in the last year or so). It's probably a more costly place to be too? If you can afford it and you have a compelling offer that you can fit into a couple of lines then this is where I'd expect you could guarantee the most hits to your site. If the OP temporarily can't get exposure then this has got to be worth a look.

From a consumer POV anything that helps get genuine, relevant results now in the myriad of sites is great. I hate it when you get a result which takes you to a page of links or a rubbish search tool or an article which has 8 lines of text per page but forces you to click through 18 pages to get to the end.

From a small business POV it'll be a right royal PITA.

I blame SEO, it'd be a redundant service if sites could be properly indexed/searched but that would mean the entire web would need to honest about what it's up to. Unlikely.

Good luck sorting it out, can't be easy going up against the search monopoly. I can't remember when I used a search engine other than google, I think it was the 90s and I was after some Eclipse jeans :lol:

Yep..we've fallen foul of the big google tidy up...

We've been on the web for 10 years, so the 16,000 links we've built up are all legit as far as we're concerned. Problem is...no one is entirely sure what google classes as a good link - I guess we're about to find out!!! It has put small and big people out of business though, no joke!

Yep..we've fallen foul of the big google tidy up...

We've been on the web for 10 years, so the 16,000 links we've built up are all legit as far as we're concerned. Problem is...no one is entirely sure what google classes as a good link - I guess we're about to find out!!! It has put small and big people out of business though, no joke!

Hope it works out ok then, I guess it's for the greater good in the end

Sent from the golf club...