Replacement suspension - more comfortable

grahamc

Well after getting a load of rattles (interior) fixed and the wheel balancing and alignment done, the car is much better to drive now.... the only thing is that the suspension is just rubbish. Its very harsh, crashy, doesnt take bumps very well, etc.

So need ideas on what to change to that will be good for comfort on the UKs potholed (to hell) roads....

I dont mind fitting coilovers, just needs to be comfortable. Will be changing the wheels and calipers as well, so may as well do the suspension at the same time. I have run the BC coilovers on my previous impreza and they were quite decent albeit a little rigid.

Car is 2002 jspec fairlady.

I found BC coilovers actually improved the ride of my 350, the reason being, that when they were on soft, they were nice and comfy. When they're on hard they're good for the driving. The standard suspension is trying to do both jobs and is crashy and not great. It only takes a minute or so to swap the suspension from hard to soft.

Well personally I think that the Tein Street coilover's are very quite and give a great ride for street use, unlike some other kits on the market they are designed specifically for UK roads (and with pot holes in mind!) The kit is called Street Flex and uses rubber top mounts so you wont get the noise factor of pillow balls. They are a little more than some of the others :)

Thanks all

Graham, BC or our newly developed KW dampers will suit you fine.

Both leave the rear spring in the same position. but do have adjustable ride height.

I also have found some Headlamps for you, will email you.

Thanks Mark, please include the prices of the KW kit

Well personally I think that the Tein Street coilover's are very quite and give a great ride for street use, unlike some other kits on the market they are designed specifically for UK roads (and with pot holes in mind!) The kit is called Street Flex and uses rubber top mounts so you wont get the noise factor of pillow balls. They are a little more than some of the others :)

Thanks - could you PM me a price on the TEIN kit?

• 3 weeks later...

It depends on what you are looking for.

For all around value for money, the Zeta-S does a great job.

You can have a comfortable ride on softer setting for road use, and a stiffer setting will create a responsive suspension for occasional track days.

And for those who are looking for advance suspension in the region of the Ohlins DFV, we now offer the MeisterR GT1 coilovers.

The GT1 coilovers are design, machined, and hand build in the UK.

They are design to be comfortable on the motorway, responsive on the fast road, and competitive on the track.

We dare to say the GT1 is one of the most advance 1-way adjustable suspension on the market. :)

And of course, they are much cheaper than the Ohlins DFV as the MeisterR GT1 coilovers is only £1550 including VAT and delivery.

But it depends on what you are looking, but the Zeta-S and GT1 will fit the need of most owners depending on their budget.

Jerrick

And of course, they are much cheaper than the Ohlins DFV as the MeisterR GT1 coilovers is only £1550 including VAT and delivery.

Hey Jerrick,

Your website doesn't list the GT1 as available for the Z33? I'm glad I have the Zeta-S already, otherwise I'd be tempted with the GT1. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Have a set of 2nd hand BC coilovers that I should be collecting this weekend.... and then just need to order the front block to the 370z calipers to fit on a 350z and while I wait for that, I will be ordering some 18s to go over the brakes :)

• 1 month later...

If you don't want to lower your car more than 0.7 inches and are looking for comfort I'd recommend you the Nismo S-tune suspension. I've tested a few coilovers in other Z's (TEIN Flex, BC Racing, D2 Racing, etc.) and eventually fitted the Nismo. For me there is no better commitment between comfort, efficiency and without having to struggle with multiple regulations.

Hey Jerrick,

Your website doesn't list the GT1 as available for the Z33? I'm glad I have the Zeta-S already, otherwise I'd be tempted with the GT1. ;)

It sort of a new development, but it has been going very well. :)

The Zeta-S are nice all rounder, the GT1 just take that and raise the bar with more advanced internals.

You have to admire British engineering still because what we have done with the GT1 are not things that had been done by many others in the world :)

Jerrick

• 3 weeks later...

car visits Sly on Friday and will stay with him for 3-4 weeks. While I am on holiday, driving the GTR the around France, Italy Germany and Switzerland, Sly will be hard at work fitting the suspension, brakes and doing a few other odd jobs on the car.

While I am on holiday, driving the GTR around France, Italy Germany and Switzerland.

It's a hard life and totally not jealous at all!!! :boxing:

Did I forget to mention that I officially stopped working on Monday and I am currently unemployed :D sitting at home having a F&F marathon.........

While I am on holiday, driving the GTR around France, Italy Germany and Switzerland.

Did I forget to mention that I officially stopped working on Monday and I am currently unemployed :D sitting at home having a F&F marathon.........

So unfair, but I'm sure you've worked hard and deserve it! :)

So unfair, but I'm sure you've worked hard and deserve it! :)

I would love to agree and say "yes".................... :D

Only joking! Have worked hard for it all, been buying property since I was 19 and been doing lots of overtime since November