air filter

Red_Nic

Hi,

I'm new to this site and am struggling to find some answers, so sorry, please bear with me.

I need to replace my air filter. I have hoovered it out a few times but now it is looking corroded and very sorry for itself.

I wanted to find some forum threads about which air filters I can get, which are best, and why.

I searched "air filter" in Forums, and I got back a long list of conversations that mentioned the words "air filter" but after reading 15 of the threads, none of them clearly said , these are the air filters you can buy, this is standard, this one is best and why, this one is cheapest, here are the sellers.

If you can help with links to relevant threads or can list the info I need, I'd be very grateful.

what 350Z parts websites do you use when checking parts prices?

thanks

(im also struggling with editing the font size, and copy+paste keyboard shortcuts wont work, and typing posts! letters keep getting missed off so im typing so hard and slow! very odd coz its fine on all other internet/email/word screens so it cant be my keyboard......)

post-21545-0-87800200-1389977090_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I'm new to this site and am struggling to find some answers, so sorry, please bear with me.

I need to replace my air filter. I have hoovered it out a few times but now it is looking corroded and very sorry for itself.

I wanted to find some forum threads about which air filters I can get, which are best, and why.

I searched "air filter" in Forums, and I got back a long list of conversations that mentioned the words "air filter" but after reading 15 of the threads, none of them clearly said , these are the air filters you can buy, this is standard, this one is best and why, this one is cheapest, here are the sellers.

If you can help with links to relevant threads or can list the info I need, I'd be very grateful.

what 350Z parts websites do you use when checking parts prices?

thanks

(im also struggling with editing the font size, and copy+paste keyboard shortcuts wont work, and typing posts! letters keep getting missed off so im typing so hard and slow! very odd coz its fine on all other internet/email/word screens so it cant be my keyboard......)

At the bottom of each post, is a 'Report, MultiQuote, and Quote' Button. Click the Quote button, which will add it into the reply field so you don't have to copy and paste :)

So I'm guess you're after a new Airfilter. Would you like one for Noise, Performance or just standard to replace your current?

Also I get that bug, I find once you've pressed backspace every now and then, it moves your cursor to a different section and ruins your sentence :lol:

Edited by grundy225
  • Like 1

Hello Red_Nic, welcome & nice avatar btw. ;)

If you are after a standard air filter that just fit's into the standard air box then there are a few different panel filters available which will work but tbh there's not really a lot of difference between them other than whether the filter is dry/pre-oiled/different colour/material type etc. I'd recommend a K&N or Cosworth panel filter imo.

K&N is the cheaper option of those two I believe and has a life time guarantee (just needs to be cleaned & re-oiled each year). Available for around £40 from Tarmac Sportz a trader on here; http://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/GB/350z_03-06_K_and_N_Drop-In_Filter/350z-33-2031-2_.aspx

If you are after an upgrade air filter to replace your standard air box and make a little more noise then there are a lot more options depending on your budget, year/model & what sort of position/look you'd like to achieve.

For instance I have just purchased and fitted to my 350Z a Stillen air induction kit from Tarmac Sportz which is a great bit of kit which comes with a K&N cone filter and polyurethene heat shield. It is expensive at around £250 but is especially good if you want more performance without the negative effect of heat soak which some open cone filters with no heat shields or poor heat shields can suffer from.

At the lower end of the market (price wise) is the JWT Pop charger air induction kit which is a very popular kit. This kit is priced very reasonably at around the £150 mark and comes with a heat shield & replaceable cone filter. http://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/GB/350z_03-06_JWT_Popcharger_Intake/350Z03JWTPOP_.aspx

Worth noting this kit will give you more induction noise than a standard air box as will most induction kits.

Lot's of choice here to take a look at; http://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/products.aspx?CategoryId=dd876c45-6d4a-41df-bc25-7c19903fe703

Although there are other traders on here too which may be able to help you with filters so shop around for the best prices. Hope that helps. :thumbs:

NB: With regards to the forum problems ~ letters being missed off etc & having to type slow. I have the same problem as you when I use my Samsung laptop and I think it may be down to the IE I'm using. :surrender: Currently using my fiancee's laptop & it always works fine.

• Like 1

Hello Red_Nic, welcome & nice avatar btw. ;)

If you are after a standard air filter that just fit's into the standard air box then there are a few different panel filters available which will work but tbh there's not really a lot of difference between them other than whether the filter is dry/pre-oiled/different colour/material type etc. I'd recommend a K&N or Cosworth panel filter imo.

K&N is the cheaper option of those two I believe and has a life time guarantee (just needs to be cleaned & re-oiled each year). Available for around £40 from Tarmac Sportz a trader on here;

Oh. Now I'm confused again. I clicked the £40 Tarmac sports link u gave in your original post, so I could buy it. But it shows a square flat thing.

The thing I want to replace which I thought was the air filter is the red cone thing with fins on like the photo I put in my original post.

Please can someone confirm this red cone thing is an air filter and what is the flat square thing for £40 at the Tarmac sports link?

I want a direct replacement for the red cone thing.....

Sounds like you already have an aftermarket induction kit fitted

• Like 1

You'll have an aftermarket kit on already, id get rid of it and buy a standard airbox and use a HKS panel filter

Reason for using HKS is its a dry filter so will only need cleaning and not re oiling which could potentially damage the mass air flow sensor.

• Like 2

Sounds like you already have an aftermarket induction kit fitted

Can you take an under bonnet picture and post it up?

Oh! Let me start again and give u photos. I got really confused!

I have an aftermarket air filter system by Injen. I want a replacement for the red cone air filter on the end. Can someone give me options and links to buy a replacement one.

post-21545-0-37527900-1390151120_thumb.jpg

post-21545-0-63528600-1390151165_thumb.jpg

Edited by Red_Nic

You'll have an aftermarket kit on already, id get rid of it and buy a standard airbox and use a HKS panel filter

Reason for using HKS is its a dry filter so will only need cleaning and not re oiling which could potentially damage the mass air flow sensor.

Could u explain why u would recommend taking an aftermarket kit off and making it standard again? Surely aftermarket kits are better in general? Is your reason just the dry filter explanation above?

Thanks

Oh! Let me start again and give u photos. I got really confused!

I have an aftermarket air filter system by Injen. I want a replacement for the red cone air filter on the end. Can someone give me options and links to buy a replacement one.

This look's to me like the kit you have fitted; http://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/GB/350z_03-06_Injen_Cold_Air_Intake/350z-SP1986P_.aspx

Tarmac Sportz are a trader on here so you could always send him a PM to see if he has any replacement cone filters for this particular kit.

You could just buy a K&N cone filter or similar to fit it but I wouldn't want to link you to a cone filter as there are so many different sizes that it would no doubt be the wrong one without knowing the fitment size. :thumbs:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The stock airbox setup (albeit the revup version) is known to be the best for power due to the design and ability to keep heat soak at bay, the aftermarket unit you have on has no heat shield so will draw a lot of hot air in from the engine bay.

The HKS is a dry filter meaning in contains no oil like its rivals k&n etc so won't cause any possible issues with the mass air flow sensor being contaminated with oil, usually happens when the filters are cleaned and too much oil is put on.

Hope that helps :)

• Like 1

Could u explain why u would recommend taking an aftermarket kit off and making it standard again? Surely aftermarket kits are better in general? Is your reason just the dry filter explanation above?

Thanks

The main reason people go for after market Air Filters/Induction kits is just down to the sound, Increase in 'roar' when the throttle is fully open. You will never feel the performance benefit of these, you will only see maybe 2-4 BHP difference on paper AFTER a re-map.

As other people have said, the stock air box is just designed and setup right to get the true benefit from air flow.

I always use Pipercorss replacement panel filters and stock air boxes with good flow from genuine outside air rather than warm/hot air from the engine bay. Like HKS they are not repliatnt on oil so help avoid nasty additions to the system, but also help maximise flow at the right revs (3-4000).