Battery Dead - Punishment for cheating on my Zed - Advice Please

Stutopia

So I've been on a road trip to Barcelona since the 27th Dec (http://tinyurl.com/qe32tzo), I cheated on my Zed with a Peugeot 308 diesel which has, er.... excellent fuel economy. She's clearly found out and refuses to start.

Went to check on The Shark this morning and she's flat, not even the central locking wants to play, so I CAREFULLY opened her up and not a milliamp inside, even the dome LEDs have gone to sleep.

I noticed about a month ago she was taking more than the usual split second to turn over, so I am assuming small power drains over a week, exceptional cold temps whilst I've been away, a battery of a certain vintage, all combined = no juice.

What's the safest, gentlest way to begin her back? Using only things that can be bought from Halfords - as I need her tomorrow for work. Is it just easier to get a new battery and make the switch? I have no idea how old the current one is, as there's no receipt for it anywhere.

If replacement is the way forward, what SHOULD I be using (any need for genuine Nissan?) or even better, is there anything you can recommend - good for an extra 20bhp? ;) Never replaced one before so please be specific and links would be amazeballz, 2004 DE if it makes any odds.

Thanks

Edited by SuperStu

Cheers for quick replies, Bosch sounds good, any link at all? I tried to use the "find your car" thing on the halfords website, but It gave me a sorry please call our branch message and now I can't just "view all" because it knows I have a 350z (stupid cookies).

I was in the same boat as you a couple of years ago when the cold weather hit, I bought a halfords own brand that was in the book in the shop. There was a choice of 2 I chose the bigger one and it's been fantastic. I could run my stereo for hours and it will still start the car easily and never run flat. I have no problems recommending halfords own batterys

Previous to going away, how long was your commute? If its only a short one, like mine, you'll not be getting much charge into the battery each day, especially if you're urban driving to work where you'll spend X amount of time at lights etc. So each time you drive to work, you're probably losing a little power in the battery and the cold has killed it off. Jump it and take her for a good run for a half hour or so and she'll be fine again.

On the other hand, if you have a decent commute, then your battery is ****ed :lol:

Previous to going away, how long was your commute? If its only a short one, like mine, you'll not be getting much charge into the battery each day, especially if you're urban driving to work where you'll spend X amount of time at lights etc. So each time you drive to work, you're probably losing a little power in the battery and the cold has killed it off. Jump it and take her for a good run for a half hour or so and she'll be fine again.

On the other hand, if you have a decent commute, then your battery is ****ed :lol:

I'd not really thought about this, but it makes total sense (especially with my tunes cranked up) I only have a short commute (about 10 mins each way) but I'd been on a long blast to Leeds the day before I went away and also upto the Lakes a few days before that so it's not like it hadn't had a good few hours run...

I'll bear this in mind in future though, gosh darn it - this means I HAVE to go driving now, just for the sake of it ;) thanks!

Cheers for specifics peeps, I've got something to shoot for now. Just out of interest, I rang local Halfords after the website fail (I know, I know, I shouldn't have bothered) they told me they don't have them and can't order them :) It's a good job you lot know what you're on about, thanks!

Cheers for specifics peeps, I've got something to shoot for now. Just out of interest, I rang local Halfords after the website fail (I know, I know, I shouldn't have bothered) they told me they don't have them and can't order them :) It's a good job you lot know what you're on about, thanks!

I got my Bosch from EuroCar Parts and they fitted it for free, and took the old one to dispose of it. :thumbs:

Halfords do not have the 350Z in their battery database.

But I did purchase a Halfords Advanced Battery that has 510 cold start amps and 63 amp hours, item code is HCB005, dimensions are perfect fit for a Zed. Hope this helps

Thats great to know as it save me opening the bonnet (and more importantly windows up doors) to release it, to get the dimensions. Which are, in case anyone finds this thread on a search

• Dimension (LxDxH): 232x173x225mm

just replaced my battery with a Yuasa YBX 5005 65Ah 55A slightly worried no one recommend getting one above :blush:

That said it seems to be doing the job for me ;)

P.S. 2.5k Miles road trip WOW must of had a blast, i did a south of France trip a few years back loads of fun !!!

Edited by fellsteruk

I got a beast of a deal from eurocarparts on a battery for my car. Exide Premium 030. Think it was about 90 quid or thereabouts. Absolute monster of a battery.

That fit in ok at 270 long?

It was the same size as my original battery that I removed i'm sure. Fits perfect. Very High starting current and amp hour compared to the standard.

If you put your reg into euro carports it will show you all the available batteries matey

Cheers Neil. I'm just getting suspicious of these as I've had some poor experiences on bulbs and other bits not fitting after the magic plate search (not from ECP I might add).

just replaced my battery with a Yuasa YBX 5005 65Ah 55A slightly worried no one recommend getting one above :blush:

That said it seems to be doing the job for me ;)

See above post from Clark Motorsport on Yuasa... :scare: :scare:

Didn't see that, thanks.. Trust me to pick a lemon, O well fingers crossed the one i have will be fine if not it does have 3 years warrantee.... "cough"