Wheel spin

Davectr

I've only had my 370z roadster (auto) for a month or so and just wanted to ask the more experienced Z owners a question. This is only the 2nd RWD car I've had (had an S2000a few years ago) and it seems to spin up the rear wheels a bit too easily. I know the roads this time of year are cold and wet/damp, but I don't thrash this car (not confident in it yet),and it's got good tread on the tyres. Please don't shoot me down as i really do like this car, but it's not excessively powerful or fast in standard trim. I'm just wondering if this behaviour is normal or do I need to have the car checked out?

Cheers

Dave

Mine does it all the time but it does need new tyres, traction control kicks in all too often, best thing is if you are changing down to accelerate/ overtake then choose a gear above what you think you need

It's def much more lively than my 350z ever was

Edited by GIXXERUK

If it's in the wet most of the times, must be the Bridgestone standard tyres. An upgrade is necessary to Michelin Pilot Super Sport :)

What other mods on your suspension?

Yes it's on standard Bridgestone tyres

what father Octmas said

+1

When does it happen? And do you seriously say 300bhp RWD is not powerful? You should think again.😉

No, what I said was its not excessively powerful, meaning a lot of Z's are modified and hence more powerful than standard 😉. If mine spins modified ones must be treacherous in anything but dry conditions, is what I meant 😄

its all down to the driver in my opinion. I drive to suit conditions and very rarely have wheelspin. However if i want I could get it to wheelspin in 3rd with the nos. Theres times and places for booting it. You may just be picking the wrong time to do it.

Imho I'd adjust driving style as this is the cheapest option available.

Having had 3 ZEDs I have found that once the tyres get below 3 to 4mm of tread on the rear, and I suspect whatever they are, given the 4 types I have used, that as the roads currently are even a light right foot will spin the wheels, not helped if the tyres have not got up to full operating temperature.

I also think it is probably a case of learning the 'limit' in adhesion that only time with your 370, given what you have said about your confidence level, will tell. ;)

its all down to the driver in my opinion. I drive to suit conditions and very rarely have wheelspin. However if i want I could get it to wheelspin in 3rd with the nos. Theres times and places for booting it. You may just be picking the wrong time to do it.

Imho I'd adjust driving style as this is the cheapest option available.

Neil, trust me, the Bridgestone are crap, specially in wet.

Neil is correct.....................however father Octmas is even more correct :teeth:

I do agree with him also. I nearly died on that track day with re040's bridgestones are poo

But as with anything a slight adjustment with driving style to prevent it is cheapest option, although, this does remove some of the fun from the car than having better tyres and being able to drive more relaxed.

• Like 1

trust me, the Bridgestone are crap, specially in wet.

The RE050's are not "crap" Adrian although the RE040's were/are - but having said that it is clear that many of us that swoped to the MPSS have found an altogether new level of grip but I have to say there is more road noise with them which is not so good.

• Like 1

Cheers Octet, as stated earlier I'm a new owner, and have followed your build thread with great interest but I fear you could get me into trouble with her indoors - I promised not to modify this car, but have already started and keep getting so many ideas off this forum! 😄

• Like 2

trust me, the Bridgestone are crap, specially in wet.

The RE050's are not "crap" Adrian although the RE040's were/are - but having said that it is clear that many of us that swoped to the MPSS have found an altogether new level of grip but I have to say there is more road noise with them which is not so good.

I think I'll reconsider the mpss if there is more road noise ! Cheers for the info Colin