Going the FI route... Advice please :-)

HARMLU

IMO if your building the motor then ditch the SC idea and go for twins, built motor is overkill for a basic S/C build. Ditch the UTEC & go uprev or syvecs.

AAM basic kit is good enough for the figures your aiming for, I used it in my build. Cosworth fuel rails are not needed at these power levels but if you want rails then go for one of the higher spec AAM kits.

Don't forget gauges - Oil temp, Boost & fuel pressure at a minimum along with a wideband.

Have a look over on my350z.com at the Vortech bible also, I spent weeks reading that before my build

• Like 1

Plenty build threads which use the items you have listed. Have a search for some of the people who have posted already.

I have, but am using this thread to get further information for which I haven't already researched/can't find specifics on? Thanks for your input, but I have already done it :thumbs:

Thanks everyone for your help so far. Currently with regards to fuel system, I'm looking at:

Turbo XS ECU

Injector Dynamics 725 injectors (also still considering other options here)

Cosworth Fuel Rail

Walbro 255 fuel pump

AAM basic fuel return system

Has anybody had any experience of the aam fuel return system? In particular, with reference to fitting the system. I think my original ambition is a little strong and am considering rebuilding the engine last now. Obviously with that I don't want push the engine components that much (450whp I am thinking is far too much). I just want a reliable s/c set up that won't compromise the driveability of the car. After this I might decide to take it further or start a new project on a different car. Who knows what's in the future!

Merry Christmas!

I would forget the Turbo XS ECU, I looked into them when considering self tuning my DE, I don't think much of the features,

If your going to lave the engine for now then a basic SC kit, but with a decent stand alone ECU if considering going further at a later date, I really wouldn't use one of the signal fudgers or fuel systems that come with the Vortec kits, personally I think they are not good for engine longevity, if you put a kit together yourself you will then have all the underpinnings for adding more power at a later date, you can quite easily get 380WHP with a SC, I would save going turbo or running higher pressures for when the engine has been fully forged and re built.

I'm pretty much there with the parts list and will post it soon! In the meantime I am struggling to get an answer on oil coolers (I realise there are loads of threads on here, but can't get an answer to what I want).

Basically I want a sandwich plate that has a port for an oil temperature sensor (1/8 NPT) as well. To narrow it down even further, I want a thermostatic plate with a temp of about 85-90 deg. And I don't want to run two separate sandwich plates, nor do I want to use a sump plug adapter. The most suitable I have found is the Mishimoto plate (see link), but it doesn't specify any sensor ports on it! Any clear advice on this? Thanks everyone for your help so far, I am really looking forward to cracking on with this!

:surrender::boxing:

I'm pretty much there with the parts list and will post it soon! In the meantime I am struggling to get an answer on oil coolers (I realise there are loads of threads on here, but can't get an answer to what I want).

Basically I want a sandwich plate that has a port for an oil temperature sensor (1/8 NPT) as well. To narrow it down even further, I want a thermostatic plate with a temp of about 85-90 deg. And I don't want to run two separate sandwich plates, nor do I want to use a sump plug adapter. The most suitable I have found is the Mishimoto plate (see link), but it doesn't specify any sensor ports on it! Any clear advice on this? Thanks everyone for your help so far, I am really looking forward to cracking on with this!

I think you'll struggle to find what your looking for they don't seem to be available. I ended up running two sandwich plates, a Mocal 92Deg from driftworks for the cooler and a plain ebay one with 1/8th NPT ports for the oil temp. But if you've been searching, you've probably seen my posts on the subject.

I think you'll struggle to find what your looking for they don't seem to be available. I ended up running two sandwich plates, a Mocal 92Deg from driftworks for the cooler and a plain ebay one with 1/8th NPT ports for the oil temp. But if you've been searching, you've probably seen my posts on the subject.

Haha, yeh I have sam, thanks it's been useful to see the options! I can't see why it's so difficult to put a sensor port in a bit of aluminium! Perhaps I am missing something!

I do like the mishimoto plate though and is just what I want, minus a sensor port. I don't think I will go mishi for the cooler but maybe for the sandwich plate and use a standard plate for the sensor. Just not a fan of the idea of putting two plates on there.

I must admit I really didn't want to use two. Two places for a leak to occur and looking a little untidy but mine has been fitted for a couple of years now and I've no issues with it on road or track.

I'm sure if you got the sandwich plate you want, you could drill and tap it for the temp.

I must admit I really didn't want to use two. Two places for a leak to occur and looking a little untidy but mine has been fitted for a couple of years now and I've no issues with it on road or track.

I'm sure if you got the sandwich plate you want, you could drill and tap it for the temp.

yeh, just looking at this now as I think it may be my only option. Thanks for the advice :thumbs:

Are you planning on running an oil pan spacer or a larger sump? If so go for the AAM one & take the temp reading off there & get a thermostatic sandwich plate for the cooler ;)

No, not at this stage. I have changed the plan slightly to do the supercharge before the engine build so initially not massive power. But I have looked in to it a little. Would you recommend having one for circa 400hp?

edit: Power reasons aside, I'm liking that option :D

Edited by HARMLU

You can never have too much headroom for fuelling, so assuming you're happy with the cost then I can't see any issues at all.

Good stuff, I had it in my mind that it can run lumpy if injectors are too large.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by HARMLU

Running larger injectors can affect idle stability, larger injectors are more prone to bad atomisation at idle due to the size of the pintle opening having to be larger, and some ECU have more trouble controlling them, you can get around it by increasing fuel pressure but its not the ideal way, that why I suggested not going too large with injectors if your only running 4-450BHP.

Running larger injectors can affect idle stability, larger injectors are more prone to bad atomisation at idle due to the size of the pintle opening having to be larger, and some ECU have more trouble controlling them, you can get around it by increasing fuel pressure but its not the ideal way, that why I suggested not going too large with injectors if your only running 4-450BHP.

Thanks I will have a word with Horsham when they re open in the new year and see what they say as they will (hopefully) be tuning the car.

Car just passed mot with no advisories. I had a feeling that would be the case but it's still a nerve racking time!

So I have just purchased Tein Springs and eibach spacers off Ewen @clarkmotorsport.

The build thread can begin very soon!!

Thanks I will have a word with Horsham when they re open in the new year and see what they say as they will (hopefully) be tuning the car.

I had the id725 fitted while I was still na and there was no noticeable negative effect on idle.

Edited by OllyB
  • Like 1