Shocking MPG! Help!

dave572

Hey everyone,

My MPG has slowly been getting really bad. My gauge sometimes reads around 4km/l and can go up to 8km/l.. For a full tank I usually get under 200miles to a tank :s.

20mpg etc is fine but not this! :o

The car has an HR y pipe, back box, centre silencer out and induction kit.

I do mixed driving on dual carriageways and city driving, can anyone shed some light on what I could check out?

When the car is cold, it seems like there is a lot of resistance in the diff, I think there is a whining noise coming from it, it is an intermittent thing.

The car is a 2004 350z roadster (import).

It is so odd this has happened in a short space of time, MOT has been done recently and wheel bearings etc checked so I don't know where to go from here.

I would appreciate it so much if you could guys could help :D

Dave

8kml = 22.6 mpg thats not to bad, what i average in my import

long journeys can get around 9-10 kml sitting at 76mph thats like 26mpg+

its a 3.5l V6 - gonna drink fuel when cold, if i reset my kml before i leave in the morning it can be as low as 2.5kml

also make sure you arent converting to us MPG - i was doing that, left me like wtf for a while :doh:

I use the reading on the clocks as in the miles, when I get to a certain point on the fuel gauge and also for the average I use the digital read out. I used to get in the teens before as an average! :o

Even if I am granny shifting I can't get it anywhere near that again, even on motorways or anything :s

I used a converter a while ago online and it led me to believe I was getting 18 or so mpg when it was say 14km/l ...can't remember the figure but I was maybe using the wrong converter :s.

I used castol edge sport 5w30, I changed it about 250 miles ago. I change the oil every 4k or so.

I guess I will keep and eye on it and report back, I shall reset the trip and change my driving style to see the differences.

I used just a hair under a quarter of a tank, this was 44 miles .. A blast through country roads and motorway driving yesterday lol

I didn't understand a word of that.

Best thing to do is to run the car until the low fuel light comes on, then fill the tank. Reset the trip counter, then run the car until the light is on again. Fill the tank again, then make a note of the trip readout and how many litres you filled up with. Divide the litres by 4.54 and you have the amount in gallons, and you can then divide the miles by that number for a true readout of your mpg. :)

I didn't understand a word of that.

Best thing to do is to run the car until the low fuel light comes on, then fill the tank. Reset the trip counter, then run the car until the light is on again. Fill the tank again, then make a note of the trip readout and how many litres you filled up with. Divide the litres by 4.54 and you have the amount in gallons, and you can then divide the miles by that number for a true readout of your mpg. :)

+1

It's the only way for an accurate reading.

What induction kit did you get... maybe the maf needs a little clean or something. I take my time to let the engine temp warms up properly before doing anything spirited as i notice when its cold start the petrol goes down faster and the exhaust/ induction noise sounds deeper..

Your lucky, here are my MPG running mostly in town, with the occasional blast on the M1 / M25.

e2yda7et.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

68pounds to fill?

When my light is on and i max it out its 81pounds something! Where do you get your petrol dude? lol

Some of the fill ups are not full fill ups. I may have a quarter of a tank left when I fill up. It's an average cost per fill up.

jemuteva.jpg

Your lucky, here are my MPG running mostly in town, with the occasional blast on the M1 / M25.

e2yda7et.jpg

68pounds to fill?

When my light is on and i max it out its 81pounds something! Where do you get your petrol dude? lol

Some of the fill ups are not full fill ups. I may have a quarter of a tank left when I fill up. It's an average cost per fill up.

jemuteva.jpg

Nice cool app..think il download and see mine =)

You say it is an import so have the guages been changed to read mpg?

As others have said, first thing is check actual miles (not klms) between brim fill-ups and see what you are getting, remembering that every gallon is 4.54609 litres.

18mpg is what my partner gets when she drives the car (she doesnt pay the fuel so doesnt realise what mpg means), when i average 26. Could it just be how you drive the car? I start on 2 gear and go to 5th at 30mph anf 6th at 40mph. I average around 22-26 for town driving. The partner changes to 5th at 60 and 6th at 70.

Not saying your not driving right, maybe just gear changes?

18mpg is what my partner gets when she drives the car (she doesnt pay the fuel so doesnt realise what mpg means), when i average 26. Could it just be how you drive the car? I start on 2 gear and go to 5th at 30mph anf 6th at 40mph. I average around 22-26 for town driving. The partner changes to 5th at 60 and 6th at 70.

You pull off in 2nd gear? That is not good for the zed clutch tbh. 1st gear in the zed is pretty long itself.

You pull off in 2nd gear? That is not good for the zed clutch tbh. 1st gear in the zed is pretty long itself.

Just been taking off in second from what ive read on various mpg saving forums, didnt realise it can cause damage from 2nd. Ill keep quiet now :p

A Zed is not supposed to be a car on an economy run...if your worried about

how much it cost to run..its NOT the car for you, get a diesel or a 1.6 litre Eco Ford.. :scare: :scare:

Biggest crap I've ever heard ever. Why didn't they make it 800bhp and make it do 3mpg then? Because a GT should be half decent on fuel.

how much it cost to run..its NOT the car for you, get a diesel or a 1.6 litre Eco Ford.. :scare: :scare:

Biggest crap I've ever heard ever. Why didn't they make it 800bhp and make it do 3mpg then? Because a GT should be half decent on fuel.

Ouch

WTF..!! :scare: :scare: :scare: :scare: traineau5.gif

Surely that's all relative to each person though Dblock.

I believe my 350Z is half decent on fuel for what it does but my MPG scares some of my work mates who are more used to much higher MPG from there diesels & petrol eco powered slower cars.

Each to there own but I have to agree in part with Will that if MPG is such a concern for some drivers then maybe owning a 3.5litre V6 is not the answer.

I try not to do "crap" on here "dblock"..!!

If you buy a Zed expect to pay money to run it...

Its irrelevant about MPG, we get around Brands in the F5000 ...2,8 MPG..

Have a Happy Christmas. vil-pernnoel.gif

Why did you way "crap" and "Dblock" lol.

Look at even the Bentley continental gt. the v8 and w12. Not highly strung engines. Considering their big sizes not bad on fuel either.

I run my 350z daily and manage 30mpg+. I could have got something much much faster but it would have been much worse on fuel making it not useful for a daily.

Surely that's all relative to each person though Dblock.

I believe my 350Z is half decent on fuel for what it does but my MPG scares some of my work mates who are more used to much higher MPG from there diesels & petrol eco powered slower cars.

Each to there own but I have to agree in part with Will that if MPG is such a concern for some drivers then maybe owning a 3.5litre V6 is not the answer.

I agree. Imagine though your car had a few faults like the 1st lambda sensor and maf had gone funny. So now your car is getting terrible mpg. Is it helpful to say well don't buy a 350z for mpg. Even though it could be a problem with other things.