Broken Engines

Jetpilot

Interesting to read, My engine died 2 weeks ago currently being rebuilt and from the looks of it it was due to the combination of low octane fuel and lack of oil. Just wanna say now that this was done be the previous owner/s. As I only had the car for 4 months before its started knocking. When Julian at garage D stipped it he said it was text book result of the bad fuel and lack of oil. Once it starts knocking and burning oil it was game over from there.

Strangely enough going back to the whole RPM convo, when mine was running the knocking it was only really loud at 2,500 - 3,500 RPM. I was also running Mobile1 5-30 but with my new build it will be running Lucas oil and will be running nothing less than 98 octane that for sure.

Interesting to read, My engine died 2 weeks ago currently being rebuilt and from the looks of it it was due to the combination of low octane fuel and lack of oil. Just wanna say now that this was done be the previous owner/s. As I only had the car for 4 months before its started knocking. When Julian at garage D stipped it he said it was text book result of the bad fuel and lack of oil. Once it starts knocking and burning oil it was game over from there.

Strangely enough going back to the whole RPM convo, when mine was running the knocking it was only really loud at 2,500 - 3,500 RPM. I was also running Mobile1 5-30 but with my new build it will be running Lucas oil and will be running nothing less than 98 octane that for sure.

Thanks for the input buddy. You can never have enough information imho and appreciated the post with your findings and facts on oil used etc

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1

Sorry if this is a really silly question..

Apart from checking the oil level are there any other signs that your car is burning oil? Would you be able to smell it for example?

I have an 04 plate uk gt model and its a high miler. Service history is fully completed and on time and if you looked through at the folder of receipts you can tell mine has been looked after. Im just curious to know if there is anything specific i should look out for that might suggest sonething big is on the horizon engine failure wise. Or does it just go pop!

Just a thought

I would only run a genuine oil filter apart from recommended filters from traders/tuners who are in the know.

Could cheap filters also be a contributing factor.

Thinking about internal filteration breakup causing oil flow issues.

Never heard of filters causing problems certainly not in the last thirty odd years, always used Blue Print filters in all my cars, which some would consider cheap. And as I mentioned earlier in this thread using low octane fuel and inducing det will certainly result in a holed block.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky

I agree oil starvation has to be the most likely cause whether it be due to low levels or not changing the filter often enough and possibly getting oil starvation in places.

I've mentioned this one in a post somewhere else....and don't laugh now .....but I believe there's a chance it could be down to that bloody dip stick. I've checked my oil on a couple of occasions in the past and got a ok reading. But good job I'm boarding on obsessive compulsive cos checking it again and agin highlighted I had got it wrong. When I push the dip stick in I get oil smears that can be mistaken for the oil level if not looked at closley.

Ok you can lol now but in the hands of a novice the dip stick can be a dangerous tool ha ha

Never heard of filters causing problems certainly not in the last thirty odd years, always used Blue Print filters in all my cars, which some would consider cheap. And as I mentioned earlier in this thread using low octane fuel and inducing det will certainly result in a holed block.

I also have used blueprint on mine. Have done for years including my last car which was used for trackdays on a regular. Never had any problems with blueprint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree oil starvation has to be the most likely cause whether it be due to low levels or not changing the filter often enough and possibly getting oil starvation in places.

I've mentioned this one in a post somewhere else....and don't laugh now .....but I believe there's a chance it could be down to that bloody dip stick. I've checked my oil on a couple of occasions in the past and got a ok reading. But good job I'm boarding on obsessive compulsive cos checking it again and agin highlighted I had got it wrong. When I push the dip stick in I get oil smears that can be mistaken for the oil level if not looked at closley.

Ok you can lol now but in the hands of a novice the dip stick can be a dangerous tool ha ha

I agree, the DE dipstick is abysmal as far as being able to get a decent reading, I too always take several readings making sure to wipe it every time, if your lucky you will get a level on one side and just a smear of oil half way up the other side of it.

I mention oil filters as some have a non return valve which stops all the oil draining back to the sump. It holds some in the oil ways ready for when you first start up and the pressure builds getting it to where it should be quicker.

Often a problem with astras etc. Cheap filter and you can here the top rattle when you start up before the pressure buiilds. Get a genuine filter and the problems not there.

The real answer for failure has to be the way the engines have not been looked after and not treated well due to poor serviceing, cheap parts and fluids.

Yet again decent service history and mechanical empathy from the owners will give you longevity.

The top end rattle on a lot of cars on startup is down to hydraulic tappets not holding pressure well, drain down of the cylinder head is pretty much un avoidable, as nearly all filters are fitted low down on the engine block, and the refill time is a second or two, However low oil pressure during startup shouldn't be any problem with modern oils, engine design has changed quite a lot in the last 40-50 years mainly due to the development of oils, engines can achieve mega mileages (if maintained correctly) these days because of it.

At least you guys get a dipstick, the 911 doesn't even have one :(

Really? How do you check the oil level then? ..or is it a case of you don't and you have to take the car to a Porsche dealer?

All electronic now. When the engine is warm and running, you access the oil level via the OBC. Trouble is it's not massively accurate (its in four sections over 1.5L), and how do you know if the sensor is working correctly? I'm not a fan at all.