Broken Engines

Jetpilot

At least you guys get a dipstick, the 911 doesn't even have one :(

Really? How do you check the oil level then? ..or is it a case of you don't and you have to take the car to a Porsche dealer?

All electronic now. When the engine is warm and running, you access the oil level via the OBC. Trouble is it's not massively accurate (its in four sections over 1.5L), and how do you know if the sensor is working correctly? I'm not a fan at all.

Not sure I'd trust that either. :dry:

I use the oil pressure guage as well as with the zed, as mentioned before the dip stick is crap. when I had low pressure I was low oil, hence why I use it. I cant wait to get my car back with a freshly rebuilt engine so I know I can look after it and no other idiot has neglected it. I'm gonna look after the new engine more than myself ha ha

Oil pressure isn't a good representation in the zed tbh. Id stick to checking the dipstick once a week to be safe

Yeah I do agree but in between checking the dipstick keeping an eye on the pressure can give you some indication. I know cause I noticed it when my engines was on the way out and burning oil, the relation between low oil and low oil pressure matched up. If my oil pressure dropped before my weekly check I would know to have a look.

I would never just go by the pressure as I do love taking the dipstick out as its so easy to put back in! :p

You can have reasonable oil pressure but not enough oil in the bottom end of the engine. I'd always keep it topped up to the max as oil starvation is the usual cause of engine failure. Oil pressure does let you know of there's something not right but not on every occasion.

If there is, I can't see one. I suspect it's more to appear tech-savvy as well as to appease affluent owners who wouldn't dare sully their hands by opening the engine bay.

Which is really sad, if I'm right.

Could be true as well. Maybe an advantage for a clueless owner if the car could tell you your running low on oil 500ml-1l before your min on the dipstick though? It's like that on mercs now a days. Unless you go into the hidden service menu the car won't tell you how much oil you have in the car. It will only say oil OK or add more oil!

Why?

A 10w40 is the same when warm as a 5w40. Really, you want a thinner oil in the winter than in the summer, to get lubricating more quickly when cold.

They are still out there.... :surrender:

Yes you are correct but if your read what I wrote, I didn't say I was gonna but a thinner oil in the summer did I? I was replying saying I was running a thincker oil than what the other guy said, no mention of changing it to a thinner oil in the summer.

So yeah they are still out there :lol:

HA HA I was implying I was gonna change the oil you just assumed I ment to a thinner oil. I totally agree with what you were saying about the thinner and thicker. I'll say it straight next time :teeth:

On the subject of oil, has anyone herd of nano oil or something that sounds like that?

• Like 1