Advice for upgrades

Alcran

Good morning Zed lovers and perverts.

I recently purchased my 350z 2003 plate. Fairlady import.

The upgrades im looking at are.

1,Plenum spacer (Top)

2,Plenum spacer (bottom) Maybe

3, Full exhaust

4, Air Filter

The lower Plenum is optional as im looking to keep the cost down. I would love to hear your guys idea's and opinion,have you done this already and how was it? And are these mods a good idea etc,

Cheers

Alcran UK Hampshire

No worries. Number 5 is definitely recommended, but don't have ot done until you've done the others first.

And remeber to document it all in a build thread with pics. We like pics :thumbs:

Good mod's shopping list so far but as 14N mentioned you will need a re-map to see any real improvement. The Zed will feel & sound a lot better though after you get all that and a re-map done for sure.

I'd also add to number 3 a pair of "High Flow Cats" (HFC) to go with the full exhaust system. B);)

Hi mate, welcome. You won't be able to get a bottom plenum spacer as far as I know. I was always under the impression that it was for rev-up engines instead of the DE.

It's a lot of money for minimal gains, IMO it would be better getting suspension and brakes done first to really enjoy the car.

Quite a few of us (including myself) decided on decats instead of HFC's.. That's just personal preference though.

As far as air filters go, for performance go for a panel filter with the velocity stack mod on here OR for sound, go for an open cone filter. Note, if you go for the cone, you're best off buying or making a heat sheild.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies, Yup completely agree, not looking for massive power gains, from what I've read if you want massive power, you need to spend mega money, So I'm just going for that bite to restore whats been lost over the years, and to make her mine.

SamN sounds silly but if i remove the Cat will that not effect the MOT? is it a bolt on/off so when do go for another MOT i just bolt them back on?

Ideally i guess it would be best to save up for the whole lot done in one swoop.

once again thanks for your advice all.

Cats (theres two on DE) simply bolt on / off.

But simply can prove a right basterd to do - some of the bolts are hard to get too.

FWIW - velocity stack n panel filter - didn't find made any difference.

Exhaust / decats - other than noice, can't say I noticed much.

Throttle controller - maybe a placebo effect, but car throttle is sharper making it feel a bit quicker.

A remap is probably your best bet to increase hp - and at least you'll notice were your cash has gone. But its a never ending circle - to get the best from a remap you'll need exh, filter, spacer etc.....and then you'll want a supercharger!!!!

Watch out for Wizurd's forthcoming post/update, his car is going in to Abbey this weekend for some of the mods you've mentioned inc the uprev. Welcome to the forum.

cheers mate :)

like other have said you'll need an uprev in order to get any changes from the mods.

I'm having mine done this week with:

Plenum spacer

Cone induction filter

Berk hfc's

Already got a non standard back box on but no other exhaust mods.

I'll let you know what changes I get from the car. I'm guessing a little more bhp/torque but really the benefit will be in driveability since the uprev removes the limiting on the first three gears I believe.

Have fun with the mods though. I know I am :) welcome as well

• Like 1

In case you're interested the mods I'm planning on doing are as follows:

Plenum - done (get one from Wasso - theyr'e great quality).

Velocity mod - done (get it from flyboy)

HKS panel filter - done (get it from any of the traders here).

Exhaust - to do

Remove cats - to do

Lightweight flywheel - to do

Remap - to do.

If you're lucky you might scrape together anything from 10-20bhp, and similar amount of torque. However, it improves throttle response and makes the car a bit more urgent and more useable.

What's the bottom plenum spacer? You will need a remap to notice any difference... even then, the power gain isn't that much.

I think i might have got confused with that one, i was reading a snippet for the top, then i got mixed up with a complete engine rebuild when i was reading between the lines.

Cats (theres two on DE) simply bolt on / off.

But simply can prove a right basterd to do - some of the bolts are hard to get too.

FWIW - velocity stack n panel filter - didn't find made any difference.

Exhaust / decats - other than noice, can't say I noticed much.

Throttle controller - maybe a placebo effect, but car throttle is sharper making it feel a bit quicker.

A remap is probably your best bet to increase hp - and at least you'll notice were your cash has gone. But its a never ending circle - to get the best from a remap you'll need exh, filter, spacer etc.....and then you'll want a supercharger!!!!

Dont think i'm going to bother with the Cat's seems like a right pain in the bum :)

Don't forget other important upgrades which can improve the driving experience, like improved brake lines, coilovers, racing pads, quality tyres etc.

It's not just about a few extra BHP. I think you should do the uprev optimisation first though, which sharpens-up rather than transforms the car. Then maybe some HFCs to add some rasp. Just don't overlook rolling chassis improvements.

• Like 1

Watch out for Wizurd's forthcoming post/update, his car is going in to Abbey this weekend for some of the mods you've mentioned inc the uprev. Welcome to the forum.

cheers mate :)

like other have said you'll need an uprev in order to get any changes from the mods.

I'm having mine done this week with:

Plenum spacer

Cone induction filter

Berk hfc's

Already got a non standard back box on but no other exhaust mods.

I'll let you know what changes I get from the car. I'm guessing a little more bhp/torque but really the benefit will be in driveability since the uprev removes the limiting on the first three gears I believe.

Have fun with the mods though. I know I am :) welcome as well

I would like to hear about your epic adventure when your back :)

Don't forget other important upgrades which can improve the driving experience, like improved brake lines, coilovers, racing pads, quality tyres etc.

It's not just about a few extra BHP. I think you should do the uprev optimisation first though, which sharpens-up rather than transforms the car. Then maybe some HFCs to add some rasp. Just don't overlook rolling chassis improvements.

Hi Dt,

Yeah completely agree with you on that, I'm not going bonkers with massive power gains,Just getting her back to what she should be :) so 15 to 20bhp should be enough