Bloody parking fines

coldel

Maybe something for Ricey to mull over but the missus had a bit of an incident at work.

She works for public sector at the moment, a university, and she parks in the staff car park where you get fined by a privately hired firm if you are not showing a parking permit. Well, as she is only temporarily there, she has a paper document which she puts on the dash. You can probably guess the rest but she parked up the other day, it got blown off the dash and onto the seat and she didn't notice. Came back in the evening, ticket.

She appealed it sending through a copy of the permit showing it dated during the period she received the ticket and proof that she is actually staff, and it got rejected. She is going to pay the £30, I know you can throw the court summons and all that away if you don't pay but I think she will pay as she doesn't want the stress of it all.

Really, the University has done nothing to help her. I am utterly staggered at the apathy of these public sector companies.

/endrant

Has she not gone to POPLA yet? That's the next step, and I guarantee that it'll be sorted there.

And you can no longer throw the court stuff away, they can legitimately go after the registered keeper now (providing certain conditions are met between land owner and management company).

Oh parking fines are bastards! Hate them! Got 2 myself last week... One while working at M&S and parked in their loading bay(which,we discovered after getting ticket, belongs to council, not M&S) and 2nd one was for parking in restricted zone...but it wasn't at that time, as its only restricted between 10-4, I parked there at half 4 to unload tools etc...got back to the car and had ticket... Observation time 16:31-16:32... Pretty sure it's got to be 5mins? And its past restricted hours anyway? Wa**ers!

Edited by Vlad

Oh parking fines are bastards! Hate them! Got 2 myself last week... One while working at M&S and parked in their loading bay(which,we discovered after getting ticket, belongs to council, not M&S) and 2nd one was for parking in restricted zone...but it wasn't at that time, as its only restricted between 10-4, I parked there at half 4 to unload tools etc...got back to the car and had ticket... Observation time 16:31-16:32... Pretty sure it's got to be 5mins? And its past restricted hours anyway? Wa**ers!

Surely you can appeal the 2nd one quite easily then, if the observed time is outside the restricted time.

Surely you can appeal the 2nd one quite easily then, if the observed time is outside the restricted time.

I did :) appealed both of them

Pay it but make it clear you are not accepibg of the fine and you are only paying to avoid court action.

Complain again and give 21 days to respond. After 21 days or a negative response advise them that you will be serving them an N1 court summons for small claims pertaining to an unlawful ticketing.

Very important. ......ensure that both the parking management firm AND their client (the university? ) are addressed in all correspondence as if you as asking both of them.

Make it absolutely clear that the university will be a codefendant in any proceedings to instigate.

Sit back and watch the scuttle.

• Like 1

Pay it but make it clear you are not accepibg of the fine and you are only paying to avoid court action.

Complain again and give 21 days to respond. After 21 days or a negative response advise them that you will be serving them an N1 court summons for small claims pertaining to an unlawful ticketing.

Very important. ......ensure that both the parking management firm AND their client (the university? ) are addressed in all correspondence as if you as asking both of them.

Make it absolutely clear that the university will be a codefendant in any proceedings to instigate.

Sit back and watch the scuttle.

Where's the button for "love this approach"?

If SMD's prediction comes true return to me for some unfair or constructive dismissal advice :teeth:

True, but how do you prove anything, 2 people equally good but only that seperating them :shrug:

Not saying it is right, just that it happens...

Sent from the golf club...

You don't....first thing you do is abandon all hope. Then you become a really dangerous problem

In this case the simple proof of the paper sheet should have been enough but hopefully an oversight...

I don't agree all private parking conpanies are scammers, if you drove to work and the car park was full of christmas shoppers would you be happy?

Around my flat we have a private parking firm and everyone complains but I pay for a garage and parking space so why should they park wherever they like for free :shrug:

Hope you get it sorted with minimum fuss Col :thumbs:

If SMD's prediction comes true return to me for some unfair or constructive dismissal advice :teeth:

True, but how do you prove anything, 2 people equally good but only that seperating them :shrug:

Not saying it is right, just that it happens...

You don't....first thing you do is abandon all hope. Then you become a really dangerous problem

Just being realistic mate, not saying don't do anything about it, just that it happens.... ;)

I am more than happy to be a dangerous problem, bring it on :boxing:

I mean IMHO for 30 quid I probably wouldn't bother my arse unless I was proper bored. Especially with SMD's rightly pointed out consequence.

I can afford to be a little more cavalier with my decisions than someone bringing up young Alfie I guess.

Cheers Dave, think we are just going to pay up - its only £30 and a lesson learned. I guess what got my goat was the complete lack of support from the university on her behalf, given she has been there as a temp for over a year now. And that she has been managing a team and running the whole show 'informally' since the boss walked out 'stressed' 2 months back. And the lowest paid person there...but don't get me started on that.

Depends if she wants the temporary job to become permanent really :shrug:

Shouldn't matter I know but we all know it does these days of larger workforce than job market...

Fair point, who'd employ someone who rolls over on a matter of principle like this. :)

If they don't charge for the parking then they can't sue for damage if you don't pay. Just ignore all correspondence.

I received a ticket on a car park for not parking correctly, there is no charge for using this car park. I ignored all requests / demands and have heard nothing since. It is different when there is a car park fee not paid as the company are out of pocket and hence they can sue for damages.

The worst they can do is tell you not to park there again.

If they don't charge for the parking then they can't sue for damage if you don't pay. Just ignore all correspondence.

I received a ticket on a car park for not parking correctly, there is no charge for using this car park. I ignored all requests / demands and have heard nothing since. It is different when there is a car park fee not paid as the company are out of pocket and hence they can sue for damages.

The worst they can do is tell you not to park there again.

If it's like the University I work at then they do charge staff & students for parking. I have to pay £20 per calendar month to park there as a full time employee. When I was on a temporary contract I didn't pay for parking and was issued with a temporary parking pass each day to allow me to park in the car park. Sort of like a guest pass. The car park, mental as it sound's is run by NCP parking authority I believe and that is who issues fines (not the university who have nothing to do with it). One of the guy's I work with got a ticket last summer even though he has a permit pass. He was so pi**ed off because what had happened is the sun had been so hot that day that it had melted the glue which held his badge holder in place so the permit had dropped in the foot well. He did manage to get his ticket cancelled after a lot of arguing I believe but that is rare. I've had a ticket too but then I did park in a disabled bay which I stupidly parked in accidentally when half asleep one morning. :lol: Backed in & didn't see the wheel chair symbol on the ground. :blush::D