Whats the deal with price differences? UK Vs JDM...

nismo

Hey all

Just looking thro peoples "Whats my car worth" threads and seeing a lot of "well its import so its worth less" comments...

As im new to the 350Z (but not imports) whats the deal with this? Ive seen the specs on a link someone popped up on my newbie thread (thanks!) so is it just that the import is lower spec so worth less? Or is it because some people struggle with import insurance? Or is it something else?

Just curious :)

Edited by nismo

It's an unreasonable fear of the unknown.

The insurance is not noticeably any different, the tax is the same, the parts are largely the same. The differences in spec can be wider than the UK - they did do some lower spec JDM zeds, but equally they do some slightly higher spec cars too.

As there are so many JDM zeds in the country, parts availability is not an issue either.

On my import Insurance difference is about £80. Tax is £280 a year. Battery posts are different and battery is smaller. Lots of labels in Japanese. No clock, indicator stalk is on the right hand side and the wipers are on the left (quite annoying if you drive different vehicles). However mine has a few nice unique mods on it like a kakimoto exhaust, prodrive alloys and underseat lights. All in all I'd say don't let it being an import put you off, I looked at plenty of uk cars that weren't in as good as condition as mine.

Thanks for all the replies!

Ive had imports before so not worried about insurance. Ive never found insurance a problem really either (touch wood I shant!) but to be fair I had a good headstart at getting into "sporty" or foreign cars from a younger age cus until recently insurance companies loved us girlies haha! So yeh insurance doesnt bother me from the whole JDM point of view! :)

I know on the UK (correct me if Im wrong) the cheaper tax band is around the 2005/06 changeover isnt it?

Does the JDM not follow these rules?

My previous import was in the nice old tax bracket.

Lol at the wipers! Honestly I dont know how I havent had sh1t from other drivers the amount of times Ive sat behind people holding the high beam wondering why my windows werent cleaning haha or giving the windscreen a wipe when Ive been flashing people out!

Plus also like Crb says the condition of a lot of these imports is pretty good for the age - all in all I wouldnt be put off by an import unless something stupid like tax being double or parts being unable to get hold of! Most things I want I tend to add anyway or upgrade, although this time im feeling lazy and hoping to find something with a few nicies on as i wont have the time for modding much in the near future!

Edited by nismo

JDM - tend to be cheaper to buy, and cheaper to sell on. Just Joe Public general feeling on imports. Cant see it changing.\

Pre March 23rd 2006 for cheaper tax for UK cars.

a lot of the JDM cars had tiny shitty brakes (as they were limited on top speed).

By the time you delimit them, mess around with other bits n bobs - may as well by a UK one.

Although all the "JDM owners" will disagree - a UK car will be easier to sell on (like for like).

Edited by aidan

I think the tax goes on the date imported, so if you were to import an 04 import today, you'd be paying the higher tax, whereas if you buy one that's been here since pre march 06, or a Uk pre 06, you'll pay the lower rate.

I find it a bit odd as quite often the import versions of cars already in the UK are more expensive to buy here.

Just look at the JDM civic type r for example.

I know nothing of he Type R's, however, maybe the JDM has a higher spec? More power?

I think the tax goes on the date imported, so if you were to import an 04 import today, you'd be paying the higher tax, whereas if you buy one that's been here since pre march 06, or a Uk pre 06, you'll pay the lower rate.

It's the date they're first registered in the UK, so it's possible to be imported in February 2006 and sat around for a few months before being registered in April 2006, it'll still be the higher tax band, but the principle is still the same.

Thanks again all!

I think I'll be best to just look and see what I like, if it has everything I need I don't mind where it's from, but at least if it's jdm and has everything I need I can barter for a lower price ;)

I'm terrible for not looking ahead...the resale value won't bother me - until I come to sell haha ;)

Although...Interesting point on the limiter and smaller brakes - both things I'd want to remove/upgrade so might be worth maybe if I don't rush into anything, save some more pennies and buy something done or uk

Arent the damper different on the uk cars - retuned for our potholed roads? I remember reading an article in evo about it - The nissan technology centre (somewhere down south) did the work.

Yes, but because they are stiffer the JDM rolls bars are smaller. Odd.

I wouldent let imports put you off, but just make sure if you do get an import you get one with brembos, leather and the Bose system then when you come to sell it, it is closer to the UK spec cars. Plus to buy a brembo set up on it's own it's around £700 so will save you updating the brakes at a later date. Plus they have better rear bumpers which all the cool Kids have lol.