Steve from Scotland, looking for a baby GT-R

Hi guys and gals. My name is Steve, I'm 25 and as the title suggests, I'm from Scotland and looking to buy a 350Z (I would love a 370Z, but they're a little out of my budget just now). My other half and I have been looking for a fun car to do us for a few years, before we decide to start a family. So this is kind of the last fun car I will get to own until the yet-to-be-conceived child is a little older.

I've owned Jap cars (MR2 Turbo, MR2 N/A, Celica and Silvia) and bikes (Yamaha R6 and Suzuki GSXR600) in the past, so I know my way around cars a little....I'm not an expert by any means. As you can see from my small list, I love my fast cars and would like another, but getting the other half to agree to this was difficult, until she saw the 350Z, which she loved the looks of. So, it's basically a family car or a 350.....guess which one I want.

I just have a couple of questions before I go out there and start shopping:

1. I have been told that the 350's powerplant was changed (From a Renault to a Nissan engine), but I can never remember in which year. I've been told to stay away from the older version as it has less power and is less reliable. Any truth in this?

2. Is there anything engine or bodywork wise that I should be looking out for when either test driving a car or looking around it? Subtle signs of a bad 350? I obviously know the basics of what to look and listen for, but some cars have hidden faults that others don't?

3. Mileage. Being a Japanese car, I'm guessing that they are pretty much bullet proof, but everyone wants one with low milesage. Is there any point where I should avoid? Above 70,000? 80? 90?

4) Running costs. I have looked at insurance and am happy. I know the tax, but what about petrol and maintenance? Can anybody give me a rough idea of mpg and reliability?

That is all I have for just now, but if I do buy one, I'll be along shortly to show you.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Steve.

:welcome: healthy amount of zeds this side of the border, and living only a few miles away or the guy above me is more than a bonus!

Across the whole range you have de 03 to 55 all reliable, 06 uprev reliable but known to consume a lot of oil. 07- HR different eninge with more power. If you can come to glasgow on sunday you will get a look at everyone of them and also supercharged ones to wet your appetite :thumbs:

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

Chubby Ninja, if you're from Dundee, then it's just creepy. I live a couple of miles outside Dundee.

I can't make it to the meet, unfotunately, as it's a little short notice, but perhaps another one.

Haha na mate im just outside stirling, was starting to think you were taking over my identity :lol: oh well hopefully u can make another one. As hensh says the HR has more power but that doesnt mean the DE is slower 😉 :lol: also theres a buyers guide on this site which is worth a read 😊

• Like 1

:welcome: healthy amount of zeds this side of the border, and living only a few miles away or the guy above me is more than a bonus!

Across the whole range you have de 03 to 55 all reliable, 06 uprev reliable but known to consume a lot of oil. 07- HR different eninge with more power. If you can come to glasgow on sunday you will get a look at everyone of them and also supercharged ones to wet your appetite :thumbs:

It will be more than your appetite thats wet when i take u out in it hensh haha. Oops forgot it a family forum :lol:

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Steve. Mpg all depends on how you drive it. You'll see better results from motorway driving than you would around town obviously but on the whole I don't think it's too bad. If you've had a few performance car's already then you know your going to be using more fuel than a 1.25 Fiesta Zetec anyway. :lol: Buyers guide here; http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/22880-guide-for-new-memberspotential-buyers/ :thumbs:

Steeev88, on 24 October 2013 - 18:32, said:

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

Chubby Ninja, if you're from Dundee, then it's just creepy. I live a couple of miles outside Dundee.

I can't make it to the meet, unfotunately, as it's a little short notice, but perhaps another one.

Haha na mate im just outside stirling, was starting to think you were taking over my identity oh well hopefully u can make another one. As hensh says the HR has more power but that doesnt mean the DE is slower 😉 also theres a buyers guide on this site which is worth a read 😊

I second that and welcome :-)

If you have the coin get the HR 07+ but check it's not a o6 just sold later you can tell the HR

Japanese= bullet proof engines (I have a bill for over £3500 for my teutonic oil burner). Have an 04 and can't fault the reliability whatsoever. The extra 20hp on the later ones will win the bar stool competition but in the real world it's how you pedal it. Whatever you go for you won't be disappointed. .............and welcome :welcome:

Hi mate,

Where abouts out of dundee?

1. VQ denotes it always been a Nissan engine but it has been used in renaults in different tunes but really who cares. There is 3 different versions 276, 296, 313. The 276 and 313 are regarded as the most bulletproof and easiest to mod.

2. Buy on condition not miles. Clicking axles or sloppy suspension isn't good.

3. Again buy on condition not miles. The engines are generally strong but check gearbox, clutch etc. A well cared 100k is better than a hammered 50k car.

4. Generally reliable, 9k service interval on motorway 28-30mpg and around town 18-24mpg.

I would say drive one first they are alot slower than what you think.

Hi mate,

Where abouts out of dundee?

1. VQ denotes it always been a Nissan engine but it has been used in renaults in different tunes but really who cares. There is 3 different versions 276, 296, 313. The 276 and 313 are regarded as the most bulletproof and easiest to mod.

2. Buy on condition not miles. Clicking axles or sloppy suspension isn't good.

3. Again buy on condition not miles. The engines are generally strong but check gearbox, clutch etc. A well cared 100k is better than a hammered 50k car.

4. Generally reliable, 9k service interval on motorway 28-30mpg and around town 18-24mpg.

I would say drive one first they are alot slower than what you think.

I live in Carnoustie, but in around 4 hours I move to Arbroath (Hence the main reason I can't make it to the meet) Where abouts outside Dundee are you all? I've seen a few Zeds going around here, but not too many.

Thanks for all the Welcomes guys. I've been on lots of forums and this has been the warmest welcome I've received, which is a good sign of a good forum.

Thanks for the info from everybody, especially Z Legend. The fastest car I had was my 309bhp MR2 turbo. Weighed 1200kg's and did 0-60 in around 4.7 seconds. Problem was, it was 19 years old and not too reliable. I know the 350Z will be a little slower, but I wouldn't reckon by too much and it is has the rumble of a V6, which outweighs the suction of a nice turbo to me. Plus, the Z can be tuned, which I would do. I've seen a lot of places and people that can put single turbos on the Z and reach near 450bhp. (I may be out on that, but who knows).

Here's a pic of my MR2, just so you can see and tell me if I mod right, or wrong:

This was a common occurance -

IMAG0175.jpg

Lots of Carbon -

IMAG0019-1.jpg

Car -

IMAG0016.jpg

I know this isn't an MR2 site, but it was my pride and joy before she died. She had Lenso D1R's, 17". Carbon engine cover, carbon spoiler, carbon boot lid, boost controller, Intercooler, C26 Turbo, XSPower Exhaust system and side skirts, small lip and rear corner edgers. She had 309.4bhp and 267.1 lbs/ft Torque. Hope you like her....this is what I'm replacing after all.

Ahh,I live in Dundee, work in Arbroath. Used to have friends in Carsnooty lol.

I'd just say test drive one before committing to buy one. Trust me it will be ALOT slower than your mr2. It weighs about 400kg more and has less power. Plus turbo/supercharging the car is still pretty expensive. BUT i know how slow the Z is but it puts a smile on my face whenever driving and feels good to drive IMO.