Recommend me a cheapish high mpg low tax run around

wizurd

Did think about an ibiza and types like that but it's really just a to b and cheapness I need. Still looking on the net for now. Tried looking for some driving reviews on the kind of cars I've looked at already. Just wondered if anyone else had one of those city car types and if any of em had any enjoyment in the drive. Will try some test drives tomorrow.

Why worry about driving reviews :shrug:

If you want cheapness just get something that does 70mpg ish like a VW Fox....

Cheap

Economical

Fun

You can get any 2 of those but not all 3 IMO :p

Sent from the Jaaaaaag at the golf club

YAAAARRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPP

What about my Seat Toledo V5

£1600 - Leather / Alacantra interior (especially for you SMD x), 6CD multiplayer, Sat Nav, massive boot with folding rear seats, climate control, good small saloon size, 2.3 litre power plant 0-60 in eight seconds......perfect shed!

Edit - Maybe not quite the mpg the Ops after though I've got late 30's from it

Edited by Bockaaarck

Did think about an ibiza and types like that but it's really just a to b and cheapness I need. Still looking on the net for now. Tried looking for some driving reviews on the kind of cars I've looked at already. Just wondered if anyone else had one of those city car types and if any of em had any enjoyment in the drive. Will try some test drives tomorrow.

Cheap

Economical

Fun

YAAAARRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPP

£1600 - Leather / Alacantra interior (especially for you SMD x), 6CD multiplayer, Sat Nav, massive boot with folding rear seats, climate control, good small saloon size, 2.3 litre power plant 0-60 in eight seconds......perfect shed!

Edit - Maybe not quite the mpg the Ops after though

Nice but not gonna be cheap on tax or have the mpg I'm guessing? :-)

Edited by wizurd

Cheap

Economical

Fun

YAAAARRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPP

Edit - Maybe not quite the mpg the Ops after though

Nice but not gonna be cheap on tax or have the mpg I'm guessing? :-)

Mmmmm yep, I may have overlooked those issues .....oops

the suzuki swift has a great chassis on it, not sure if its in your budget, or if they do a small enough economical engine. my mother in law has a vw polo and she loves it, they did a 3 cyclinder diesel version, i did test drive one a while back when my wife had one as a test car. sounds odd but was quiet tight.

if you want really tiny, have a look at the proton savvy, my bodyshop has one as a loan car, it has a gutless engine and you really ahve to work it, but it costs £30 to fill up and takes for ever to drain the tank. and its built on a clio chassis. ;)

Edited by rtbiscuit

I had a Renault Clio 1.2 until I sold it to my daughter earlier this year. Economical, reliable and the couple of problems I had were cheap to fix. Had it from 2006-2013, drove it down to Cardiff many times.

Pete

• Like 1

Afternoon.

Basically my fiesta r reg is dead. I use that daily and the zed on the weekends. Been looking around for a cheap run around replacement. Now I can get another fiesta W reg probably for about a grand. But the tax and mpg ain't that great. Also been considering spending more and getting a newer city car type vehicle. Just wondered if anyone has these type of cars, what they're like or any other recommendations for a car that's got a high mpg and low tax.

Cheers.

motorway or city driving. Motorway a good diesel and city I'd get a small petrol.

Thanks for all the suggestions :) its mainly city driving which is why I was thinking petrol rather than diesel as well . Will have a look at that passat though as well

Thanks for all the suggestions :) its mainly city driving which is why I was thinking petrol rather than diesel as well . Will have a look at that passat though as well

Then I'd stick to petrol 100%. Better mpg round town. Unless your doing silly millage a blown turbo, injectors or dmf will make it expensive IMO.

Fingers crossed got a cheap runner to see tomorrow.

Suzuki alto 54 plate 55k miles. Looks all neat and tidy. £995 with 6 months tax and mot. Over 50mpg and 30 quid a year tax.

Total box on wheels but then my zeds for the pleasure trips, this thing just needs to get me to work and back each week.

Hopefully get it tomorrow so I can stop racking up the miles on my zed.

Thanks for the suggestions all

• Like 1

Cheap

Economical

Fun

YAAAARRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPP

Edit - Maybe not quite the mpg the Ops after though I've got late 30's from it

There is always one isn't there :p

It is usually me so fair play :lol:

YAAAARRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPP

Fingers crossed got a cheap runner to see tomorrow.

Suzuki alto 54 plate 55k miles. Looks all neat and tidy. £995 with 6 months tax and mot. Over 50mpg and 30 quid a year tax.

Total box on wheels but then my zeds for the pleasure trips, this thing just needs to get me to work and back each week.

Hopefully get it tomorrow so I can stop racking up the miles on my zed.

Thanks for the suggestions all

I was going to say enjoy but thats not appropriate :lol:

YAAAARRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPP

My other half has a 1.1l Kia Picanto, its a great drive, crap plastics and not much poke above 50 though, but as I say, it drives very well. Vehicle tax is only £36 a year and it gets good MPG (no exact figures, sorry!).

The only major downside is that they are quite feminine looking, but when I'm driving the car it makes no difference to me.

• Like 1

Lol i was totally expecting these kind of reactions :D

I just thank god that I've got the zed for real fun.

I'll update once I've seen the car later on and if I get this one I'll put up a pic for a laugh.

As for the picanto was trying to find one but couldn't in my price bracket.

One big advantage of having a little economical car to run around in - when you get back in your zed at the weekend by god it feels fast and the seats just hug you.

I've spent the last 2 weeks driving around in a fox, motorways were interesting trying to steer into the wind. Got back in the zed on monday and wow feels like an F1 car.

• Like 2

Well no luck with the alto. Engine management light was on. They told me they keep getting it cleared with no errors but keeps coming on. Colour was different under the bonnet at the front and the one wing wasn't the same height as the bonnet plus big rattle at times looking at it because the back box would need doing soon. Apparently they used to work in a dealership and get the part ex cars cheap. O well keep looking. Made me laugh though as they said the colour was different because they had tried t cutting it to get the colour back but they hadn't bothered to replace the broken and missing wheel trims.

My Zed gave birth to this last year!

Got pi**ed off putting £100 a week into my Warrior.

Park where you like,zero road tax,£110 a year fully comp,55 mpg.

Done the maths and its cheaper than a moped and you dont get wet!

The only downside is not a lot happens after 70mph and you would not want to be in an M25 pile up!!!

038_zps91a2f5b2.jpg