Rear Mounted Turbo

.:Bullen:.

Hi guys just been having a browse around the net for turbo kits & was looking into the rear turbo. I think its mainly done in the states by STS but its looks a pretty simple setup & I can easily knock this up myself at work.

I was just wondering what peoples opinions are and what size turbo would be best im not looking for mega power 400 be nice so maybe a garrett t28 ?

Also map wise I believe uprev can now do turbo fitments ? any help and advice appreciated

How much lag would you like with your turbo, sir?

More pipework between turbo and intake = more lag. More lag = less driveability. With a rear-mounted setup, you're exchanging throttle response for ease of maintenance. Only you will know if that's something you're prepared to compromise on.

Rico did it, but I can't remember his username. I meet him a few times and I think I have his phone number. He was from the state's and work for the USAF. and brought his own car over to the UK with the STS setup on it. I had a passenger ride, so I haven't driven it. But I do remember it sounding like a tiefighter in starwars, and I don't remember thinking oh god how laggy is this. I can't say it is or it isn't because i didn't drive. And it was a couple of years ago.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4

I know there is going to be a slight bit of lag as obviously the length of the pipe work. But if I heat wrap the exhaust it should minimise the lag?

The setup suits me quite well as I can fabricate it pretty easy at work which is my main reason of wanting it ha

How do you think reducing heat reduces the lag?

A turbo works by compressing air and forcing it into the combustion chamber. The more air between turbo and chamber, the longer it takes to compress that air. Wrapping of the exhaust will not make any difference to the lag, only help to reduce intake temps in the engine bay, a feat which is better accomplished by intercooling or chargecooling. No harm in wrapping at all, but it won't benefit the car in the way you think.

You won't be increasing the lag a bit, you'll be increasing it massively by a factor of however much longer rear mount pipe work is to front mount. I'm guessing at at least twice as much, more likely three or four times.

I know there is going to be a slight bit of lag as obviously the length of the pipe work. But if I heat wrap the exhaust it should minimise the lag?

The setup suits me quite well as I can fabricate it pretty easy at work which is my main reason of wanting it ha

How do you think reducing heat reduces the lag?

A turbo works by compressing air and forcing it into the combustion chamber. The more air between turbo and chamber, the longer it takes to compress that air. Wrapping of the exhaust will not make any difference to the lag, only help to reduce intake temps in the engine bay, a feat which is better accomplished by intercooling or chargecooling. No harm in wrapping at all, but it won't benefit the car in the way you think.

You won't be increasing the lag a bit, you'll be increasing it massively by a factor of however much longer rear mount pipe work is to front mount. I'm guessing at at least twice as much, more likely three or four times.

Keeping the gasses hot spins the turbo faster apparently. Some "race" cars wrap front to back since hot air travels faster.

You could be right and in theory you are 100% right but unless you have tried it on the car you don't know how it will be.

Keeping the gasses hot spins the turbo faster apparently. Some "race" cars wrap front to back since hot air travels faster.

It does, but that's an incredibly minor part of what wrapping does. It's mainly to prevent heat soak more than anything. When your exhaust gas is already 1000c, keeping it at 1050c (which is well over what wrapping can achieve) will do nothing. I've tried identical applications before and after wrapping on other cars, and the only difference you see is intake temps. For a giggle, we removed the intercooler and shortened the pipework by roughly half a metre, and I can tell you that made an incredible difference to how the car drove in terms of lag.

Power wise I'm aiming for 400 nothing too crazy it's not drivable. Supporting mods I was going to get new fuel pump. Probably bigger injectors ? And that's roughly all I have thought about so far.

Fair enough. However, and with all due respect, I would look into this a lot more before you commit to this project, as there's plenty more there you'll need like the intercooler, ECU, oil supply for the turbo (assuming you go for an oiled one), as well as the fueling side you mention. Don't forget you'll also need to do the brakes and tyres too, if you haven't already. Have a read of the other turbo threads on here, as apart from the location of the turbo itself being different for you you'll need everything else a normal install will. :)

Good luck, I always like to see folks fabbing pipework and stuff up for their own cars.

The benefit of a rear mounted turbo is to fit a supercharger as well.. Agreed with Ekona, all the pipe work running up and down the car is pointless, might as well just mount it behind the engine next to gearbox.. or go twin turbo.. I suffer no lag what so ever with boost in at 2.5k revs

• Like 1

been looking into this myself wont be till next year as i've just replaced my engine due to a horrible knocking noise , couldnt find where it was coming from after pulling it out it turns out to be the flywheel falling apart

but at least i have a decent engine to boost now.

anyway to the point from what i can see the rear mount setup is easy to do as a diy project yes it's laggy ,the turbo has to sized carefully usually a t04e or gt35 and you have the complication of having to scavenge the oil from the turbo generally with an electric pump which can be troublesome but it's a simple easy conversion and by the time the air reaches the engine through all that pipework and an intercooler the charge temp is pretty cool important if youre running a standard high compression engine which i will be

I have a genuine Turbowerx scavenge pump imported from the states, was contemplating this idea myself but have gone turbo in the engine bay now so no longer needed. the pump has seen 5 mins work and id be open to offers... would ofcourse sell the pump via the for sale section on the forum.

• 11 months later...

just for the record, I never looked at rear mount turbo setup. I looked at boosted performance the Canadians kit, AWESOME kit but it won't fit RHD cars and me or he wasn't willing to either sell or buy the kit without knowing so went the APS route. Still would buy the Boosted Kit if I had a LHD hands down. "stuck" with my APS now :D

Yeah you do, it's just minimised. You cannot run a turbo with zero lag, unless you break the laws of physics ;)

Anti-lag anyone? ;)

And despite not actually disagreeing with you since we last discussed mixed tyres, youre wide of the mark on the lag as well - even in 8ft of boost pipe theres not very much air, and its not like youre filling a vacuum either, youre just pushing along whats in the pipe already. See here:

Biggest problem with a rear mount in a 350Z would be ground clearance IMO, its crap as it is without sticking more @*!# under the car. If you want 400hp, strapping a charger on is the best bet, to get the most out of any Z33 turbo setup you need to forge the engine IMO which is big cash.

Rear mount looks cool though:

IMAG0022.jpg

mmfp_0804_02_z+rear_mounted_turbocharged+.jpg

SSPX0100.jpg?t=1236657179

• Like 1

[And despite not actually disagreeing with you since we last discussed mixed tyres, youre wide of the mark on the lag as well - even in 8ft of boost pipe theres not very much air, and its not like youre filling a vacuum either, youre just pushing along whats in the pipe already. See here:

I can only go off my own experience, which was changing an air to air intercooled system to a water to air one, which involved removed about a metre of pipework. Throttle response was massively increased, even on a small system like that.

You're not just pushing along what's in the pipe, you're compressing it. To compress it means that you have to add more into the same size space, which if the pump (turbo) size doesn't change then it must take longer. Whilst a rear mounted turbo may well be acceptable for people coming from big turbos who are used to having large boost thresholds, they're just not for me. Each to their own though, as always :)

What's that middle car? That looks amazing! :D