Rear Mounted Turbo

.:Bullen:.

[And despite not actually disagreeing with you since we last discussed mixed tyres, youre wide of the mark on the lag as well - even in 8ft of boost pipe theres not very much air, and its not like youre filling a vacuum either, youre just pushing along whats in the pipe already. See here:

I can only go off my own experience, which was changing an air to air intercooled system to a water to air one, which involved removed about a metre of pipework. Throttle response was massively increased, even on a small system like that.

You're not just pushing along what's in the pipe, you're compressing it. To compress it means that you have to add more into the same size space, which if the pump (turbo) size doesn't change then it must take longer. Whilst a rear mounted turbo may well be acceptable for people coming from big turbos who are used to having large boost thresholds, they're just not for me. Each to their own though, as always :)

What's that middle car? That looks amazing! :D

technically rear mounts may be laggy and if you were relying on the turbo ie on a small engined car i think it would be crap but on the 350z it feels pretty smooth no kick in the back

I can only go off my own experience, which was changing an air to air intercooled system to a water to air one, which involved removed about a metre of pipework. Throttle response was massively increased, even on a small system like that.

I know its counterintuitive but every rear mount setup Ive read about has said the same thing, no noticeable increase in lag. And the middle car is a Mustang but sadly I cant find out much more about it, I know STS make quite a few kits so I guess it must be popular in the states :)

• Like 1

Ekona is talking about lag... not noticeable lag :p

without a doubt rear mount is going to have more lag than a conventional setup but it doesn't seem to have the all or nothing feel of conventional laggy systems so unless your playing top trumps

in the real world rear mount setups aren't bad :lol:

Probably a good idea to say that I do mean lag, and not threshold. They don't always go hand in hand!

My own turbo on the MR2 has a relatively low threshold, and is mapped so that the boost increases the further up the rev range you go. Starts at wastegate, then up to 8psi, then 10psi at the top end. Gives a real rush of power throughout, and also it means that it's not having to wait until 10psi is made all the way down when the compressor is barely spinning.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Accidentally found the STS rear mounted turbo whilst looking for something on youtube (this guy has a bunch of them uploaded):

https://www.youtube....arch?query=350z

I'm sure you guys have seen them anyway but I didn't even know you could have turbo's mounted in your butt :teeth:

I imagine it's cheaper to purchase compared to supercharging, I've no idea just looks less complicated with fewer parts (fewer bits, cheaper right ? :lol:).

Ah didn't see this thread either:

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/78039-diy-rear-mount/

Edited by RobPhoboS