Snow socks...

zippypooz

Ok this is a little early BUT, I was wondering if anyone had tried snow socks on their Zeds during previous winters?

I'm imagining zeds are pretty useless in the snow what with big fat tyres (19's on mine) so was just curious to hear from anyone who has used socks...I was also wondering how the car does actually drive in the snow as i've not had the pleasure yet!!! (Eeeeeeks!!!) :cold::drive1:scare:

Im in West Sussex in the UK...and have big fat tyres and being rear wheel drive too i was expecting it to be a bit of a handful!!...but im thinking winter tyres are gonna cost a small fortune!!...whereas socks are about £40-£50...i spose anything is better than nothing!!

TBH the Zed was hopeless in the snow last year for me, it was actually out with CS having work done at the time and I couldn't get it 500m home up the slope to our car park, stayed there for 8 days. Winter tyres are going on this year. I remember some threads where people used the snow socks with good effect but not sure theyre for me as you have to keep getting them on and off.

Hawker

• Like 1

Unless you've got a four wheel-drive if your stuck = your stuck - However (not for the Zed) we bought three sets for two cars and one for a van & they did the trick.

Our cul de sac has a very steep incline then on to a very very busy main road with lots of traffic, so you've either got to rip it up & hope theres a gap because once you stop your stuck & got to try again.

Bought ours sets from SADA and drove out as if there was no snow at all even stopped on the top. Must say all front wheel drive cars but our neighbour bought a set after he saw our results and flew out in his ................. BMW ....................

• Like 1

Just to let you know I invested in a car cover as per my recommendation earlier in this forum & parked the Zed up for the winter.

2 years earlier in my previous 350Z i tried the run up approach in our street got stuck :surrender: 5 hours later & with a street full of shovels i eventually got the Zed back to my drive :rant: parked it up till the summer and bought a £1,000 Pajero hey ho happy winter motoring sold the Pajero for the same money in the summer to a caravan person.

£34 from SADA at the time Worth every penny.

Winter tyres last longer than summer tyres in winter and...

Summer tyres last longer than winter tyres in summer so...

Over the lifetime of both sets of tyres, you get more miles for your £ than running a summer set for the same time period all year round.

Blimey im gonna employ you as my accountant!!!!!!!!

Winter tyres are be used when the average temp hits below 7c. So from about mid October to mid Jan and yes they are for cold weather, not just snow. However they work really well on snow.

Which ones do you go for BBK?

• Like 1

The last snow we had caught me out big time. Took me 4 hrs to do a 4 hr journey. I had summer tyres on and drove around with my snow socks ready for when I just couldn't cope any longer.

386A561E-90CE-47E4-9AE7-8B28B7664C02-9869-000006F237AE62BF.jpg

I had to jack my car up to get the buggers on but they saved my bacon.

I will this year dress with winter tyres to cope with the ruff stuff and still take my socks for when I get really stuck.

They're great for emergencies but a nuisance to put on. Easy to get off though.

• Like 1

The last snow we had caught me out big time. Took me 4 hrs to do a 4 hr journey. I had summer tyres on and drove around with my snow socks ready for when I just couldn't cope any longer.

386A561E-90CE-47E4-9AE7-8B28B7664C02-9869-000006F237AE62BF.jpg

I had to jack my car up to get the buggers on but they saved my bacon.

I will this year dress with winter tyres to cope with the ruff stuff and still take my socks for when I get really stuck.

They're great for emergencies but a nuisance to put on. Easy to get off though.

So how good are these socks mate??

Got the same as Wasso, you'd be wise to get the 'Autosocks' brand if using the Zed in the winter. Mines always just sit in the compartment behind the passenger. They are worth there weight in gold! You can pick away on steep hills and everything... get them! There a bit pricey but def worth it!

350Z-AS5-2-13c_zps2108cc52.jpg