Mpss problems? Advice needed.

CrustyCrab

Hi people,

It's a bit of a weird one...

Had a full geo set up done at Abbey Motorsport (awesome as usual) and needed new tyres so i have just bought 4 Michelin Pilot Super Sports to finish it off.

I have GT Rays and got correct size tyres.

Now the problem - it just doesn't feel quit right!

After the alignment was done it felt like a new car but now with new tyres it feels like it is veering or perhaps a bit tram liney. Now I have noticed it its really sticking in my mind and bugging me.

Tyre pressures are 30 psi all round and I'm pretty sure the right wheels are on the right axels but will check tomorrow. Spoke with Mark and he is giving me advice but I just wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas?

Thanks,

Crab

5 psi in a tyre makes a massive difference to the feel and handling of the car!

Pump your tyres up, most people have them a little higher than the recommended pressure on the zed.

Stick 36 in them and adjust up and down accordingly to how it feels. You may need to have different pressures front and back, so bare that in mind.

Wheels on right place are easy to check so get that done. Even the best mechanics will make mistakes sometimes.

If not take it back to abbey, I'm sure they will have no issue getting it on a ramp and checking it all out

Yeah, already spoke to Mark and he's been going through the options so no worries there.

5 psi in a tyre makes a massive difference to the feel and handling of the car!

Pump your tyres up, most people have them a little higher than the recommended pressure on the zed.

Stick 36 in them and adjust up and down accordingly to how it feels. You may need to have different pressures front and back, so bare that in mind.

Ok I'll make sure they are all properly adjusted and see what it feels like then.

Maybe tyres on back to front? Shoot the pressure up to 35 just to see though.

THe tyres are on the right way round, already checked that one :thumbs:

I find that if mine drop off from 35 (to say 31) the car feels quite different. For whatever reason mine don't seem to hold 35 for very long (any ideas anyone?). I've recently gone up to 36 (assuming I can trust the digital readout on the machine) and it feels good. Sometimes when I accelerate on say a roundabout when they're low, my ass feels the car just shift a little over - not slide, just shift a bit. I put it down to pressures and maybe the Michelin's have softer tyre walls than the Bridgestones I had before. Happy to be corrected though.

I agree with this. I was recently convinced I had somewhere along the line knocked tracking out as the car was fidgity and drifting left - until I checked pressures and found one rear tyre (a Michelin MPS2) 7psi softer than the other 3. Pumped all tyres back up to 35psi and everything was fine again. Of course the MPS2 was a recently new tyre, so it remains to be seen if I have a slow puncture :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

How the buggery I missed this thread, I have no idea.

Glad you got it sorted dude. Oddly though I would actually recommend dropping a couple of PSI with the MPSS due to the stiffer sidewalls, but that's personal preference. I used to run my Zed on the MPS2 with 33F/34R, I just found it gave a better balance but then that was in combination with an aggressive geo so it wouldn't work for everyone. If 35/35 works for you, then definitely stick with it :)

So what should you put in them when there warm? As by the time I ge tto the garage the tyres will be hot. I have been trying different settings, popped 37 in when hot other day but feels very light so going drop them down a touch

The required air pressure when "warm" will vary depending on what the temperature of the air in the tyres is. I'm sure you could take a temperature reading and figure it out with some basic maths but it's much easier to drive slowly straight to the garage in the morning and if it's really that far to the garage then add a few PSI to compensate, then measure with a handheld gauge the next morning to see if it's fallen to 35 or not.

• Like 1