Need a winter car...

Katy

I'm looking to get myself a second (well, third really) car as I've got some concerns about using the Zed as my daily driver in the pending winter weather. Looking for a 4 door, 4WD on a budget of approx £2k. The less I spend on this the better...

I don't really care what it is, but something I could have a little bit of fun in wouldn't go amiss, and if it's got a big boot then I can justify keeping it all year round! ;) Obviously old Scooby's are in scope, but what else should I look at?

Your suggestions please...

Not sure if its in budget, I'd imagine it would be but how about a Suzuki Jimny?

Not exactly sporty but well respected by 4x4 enthusiasts.

Or maybe a fiat panda 4x4. Every year I go away snowboarding I always see lots of these in the resorts.

Scooby!!! that's my winter driver i got a bugeye one so they are in scope for that money n/a ones even cheaper cant complain with mine does what says on tin,anything else might have 4wd but prob will fall down on looks side.

space side got 2 zed bumpers in car an exhaust and still had boot room for shopping ...all in one trip lol

Edited by jumping350

Why 4WD? Unless you live in the proper sticks, then a cheapy FWD hatch on winter tyres will be equally as effective. Having owned an Impreza recently, I can promise you they're not as good in the snow as you would hope!

Or just get a set of winter wheels and tyres for the Zed. I use mine as a daily all year round. Starting the "What's a Zed like in the snow" discussions early, but it's fine with the right tyres and if you drive to the conditions.

It's all the other drivers that aren't driving to the conditions or think they're immortal in their 4x4 that are more of a concern.

Why 4WD? Unless you live in the proper sticks, then a cheapy FWD hatch on winter tyres will be equally as effective. Having owned an Impreza recently, I can promise you they're not as good in the snow as you would hope!

+1 my girlfriends 1.1 peugeot 206 has never been stuck in snow, and thats still on summer tyres! with winters on it would be an unstoppable force!

Thanks guys, appreciate all the suggestions. If it was just me in the car I'd be more inclined to take my chances, but I'm not happy having my toddler in the front seat of the Zed in bad weather. Just one too many risks for me I'm afraid.

We don't exactly live in 'the sticks' but most of my daily driving is done on country roads to/from work and nursery. We've struggled in the past to get the FWD (VW Golf) up the local hills without snow chains on, hence my request.

Just seen a Toyota Surf on Autotrader and (secretly) quite liked it. They're fairly high up, safe and indestructible aren't they??

If your really worried just get a set of winter tyres/wheels....Used them for the first time last winter, I was so surprised at how good they were I went out looking for fresh snow out in the middle of where, the only other cars I saw out and about were tractors and 4x4 pick ups..The only time I came close to getting stuck was in about 6 inch of fresh snow, where I think even a 4x4 would struggle. Funnest part of the winter was watching a VW Golf try to follow me up a hill..he got about half way up and than just slid down hill with all wheels locked!!! My car on the other hand just carried on over the hill.

8402607588_6c2cee0ecb_c.jpg

....after one really heavy bit of snow the car park at work was a covered, a few people had to stay overnight because their cars wouldn't move...I couldn't resist the temptation to do some donuts :lol:

8402700068_26c7347f3f_c.jpg

Your child, your peace of mind, your decision. But decent winter tyres on a zed would be safer than cheap summer tyres on a fwd car. The only dangerous thing would be your right foot. Just don't put it down in snow!

I've got Michelin Pilot Alpines on mine. Lovely!

Edited by The Bounty Bar Kid

Your child, your peace of mind, your decision. But decent winter tyres on a zed would be safer than cheap summer tyres on a fwd car. The only dangerous thing would be your right foot. Just don't put it down in snow!

Really interesting what you all say about a good set of winter tyres. I had no idea they were so effective.

Sorry - genuinely didn't mean to turn this into a 'winter tyres' thread when we're still in August! :blush:

• Like 1

Still wouldn't mind a go in this though: http://www.autotrade...h69hn?logcode=p

Plus, it would solve the immediate problem I've got of not being able to transport my new Zed front bumper to the sprayer ;)

How far away is the sprayer? Could they pick it up for you?

Hmm, you caught me out! Sprayer's less than 5 miles away, and yeah he probably would pick it up :blush:

(quick, think of another excuse to need a big 4x4)

Absolutely bang on the money, Id even go as far as to say a Zed on winter tyres is potentially better than a Scoob on summer tyres, its slowing down and turning where you generally have problems :)

• Like 1

Really interesting what you all say about a good set of winter tyres. I had no idea they were so effective.

Sorry - genuinely didn't mean to turn this into a 'winter tyres' thread when we're still in August! :blush:

Irrespective of how the power gets to the wheels, its the tyres that are touching the tarmac.

SnowZed_zps6ca95b1f.jpg

Me and my Zed made it to work and back home again in these conditions with winter tyres fitted. This pic was taken in the office car park which is normally full of cars - so you can see how many others made it (or just weren't stoopid enough to try) :lol:

• Like 1

As a rule, 4WD > FWD > RWD, but then you have 4WD > FF > RR > MR > FR as well. All about where the weight is in relation to the power.

That said, winter tyres throw everything out of the window. The Impreza on RE070s was a disaster in the snow, but in a fun way. The same car on winters would've been superb.

We are probably going to get rid of the focus at the end of the year, same conundrum, what to get next, Becks wont spend more than a couple of grand on a car (thats for me to do with silly go karts!) I think she likes the idea of a 4x4 but a smaller one, Jimny looks a bit too small though.

We are probably going to get rid of the focus at the end of the year, same conundrum, what to get next, Becks wont spend more than a couple of grand on a car (thats for me to do with silly go karts!) I think she likes the idea of a 4x4 but a smaller one, Jimny looks a bit too small though.

Honda CR-V looks quite sensible (and marginally cooler than a RAV4) plus, you can definitely get one for under the £2k mark...