Car Names - The Rubbish Kind

Stutopia

How cares how any one says nike or anything.

the electric up! is going to be called E Up! and the sporty one GT Up!

Is the sporty one going to be a f**k up?

LOL! going to say that to the next up! owner I see. Might say Up! yours?

Thought you didn't approve of this thread bro? :lol:

What you talking about bro? D stations has been in since go-live, he's all over these type threads :lol:

Why did you put a laugh after what you said. Wasn't really funny was it.

Apologies, I couldn't find one for "smiled on the inside". Maybe it's near the question marks.

I think you mean 'who', not 'how'. And of course people care how words are pronounced, as it would make life significantly more difficult if we all pronounced words differently.

It's called 'language', and that's how they work: By people using a common form so that they can be understood.

Could be. Seems a bit of a risky strategy naming it after a fictitious character from a specific religion perhaps?

An earlier post suggests it was taken from a top suit at Vauxhall, but that seems extremely egomaniacal!

The adam is a pretty terrible name, but the car isn't all that bad, partner owns one so have first hand experience. Its a little gutless but the build quality is decent and there is a good gadget level for its price point.

I think you mean 'who', not 'how'. And of course people care how words are pronounced, as it would make life significantly more difficult if we all pronounced words differently.

It's called 'language', and that's how they work: By people using a common form so that they can be understood.

So in your daily life you pronounce everything correctly. No you don't.

The name was created in 1931 by a predecessor of Nissan, the DAT Motorcar Co. for a new car model, spelling it as "Datson" to indicate its smaller size when compared to the existing, larger DAT car. In 1934,[1] after Nissan Motor Company. took control of DAT Motorcar Co., the last syllable of Datson was changed to "sun", because "son" also means "loss" (æ) in Japanese, and also to honour the sun depicted in the national flag, hence the name "Datsun" : Dattosan (ダットサン, Dattosan?)

• Like 1

Could be. Seems a bit of a risky strategy naming it after a fictitious character from a specific religion perhaps?

An earlier post suggests it was taken from a top suit at Vauxhall, but that seems extremely egomaniacal!

Did you have to use the word fictitious? Seems disrespectful to me.

Of all the places, this thread turns up on a Fairlady owners club .......... gayviolet.gif

Datsun are undisputed masters at stupid car names - Cherry, Stanza, Violet, Bluebird, Sunny, Cedric, Largo, Rasheen, Laurel and Serena are all painfully bad (unless you happen to be an urban homosexual) and it makes you wonder if they did it deliberately :lol:

And Adam was ficticious unless you are a creationist, in which case your opinion doesnt matter. :)

Edited by docwra

Did you have to use the word fictitious? Seems disrespectful to me.

Thanks for picking that up, reading it back now I can see how it might be taken that way by some readers. Apologies to those who were offended, it was not my intention, it merely reflects my view on matters theological. I suspect the potential group of offendees is relatviely small given even the most zealous believers I've met, to date, don't consider the story of Adam & Eve to be a literal transcription of the events which took place to form our, or indeed any, universe. However, small as that group may be, I'm sorry and I shall endeavour not to offend you in future.

Personally, as an atheist I wouldn't be offended if someone suggested Adam wasn't fictitious as in the earlier thread, despite it conflicting with my own viewpoint. I'd simply disagree, but not everyone reacts in this tolerant way.