how to make the zed drive better

ddcboyle

Kept esp on, tightened strut bar and pumped up tyres, they were on 28 so put to 35. Started growing some balls and seems like it probably wasnt down to the car, but just me being paranoid about it. I always kept thinking rwd car, back end will just kick out all the time.

Might go on fast driving course with the car, so I can find the limit safely :D

Good man, I never turned ESP off, well not intentionally I had to drive for a few months without it due to a fault :lol: But just have confidence, have you ever been on a drive with other members, I can't tell you how much confidence it gives you watching the guy in front take a corner and not seeing their brake lights flicker..... you can then take a brave pill and do the same, just cover the brake just in case :drive1

Kept esp on, tightened strut bar and pumped up tyres, they were on 28 so put to 35. Started growing some balls and seems like it probably wasnt down to the car, but just me being paranoid about it. I always kept thinking rwd car, back end will just kick out all the time.

Might go on fast driving course with the car, so I can find the limit safely :D

Good man, I never turned ESP off, well not intentionally I had to drive for a few months without it due to a fault :lol: But just have confidence, have you ever been on a drive with other members, I can't tell you how much confidence it gives you watching the guy in front take a corner and not seeing their brake lights flicker..... you can then take a brave pill and do the same, just cover the brake just in case :drive1

Never brake in the middle of a corner... :scare: :scare:

• Like 1

Im hoping to start going to meets more often, and hopefully get better at pushing the car. I always thought i would be awesome at driving but just have a paranoia about power to rear wheels (even though all sports cars are 4wd or rwd lol)

Just remember the rules for going fast.. Brake, Change, Turn in, Power through the corner. :thumbs: (if your really brave, just a dab of left foot braking).

I know it's a different car but its the same front engine rwd platform. When I first got my zed I was pretty bored by the handling, I'd come from a sorted Capri that I'd owned for years, so I knew how to drive it. The zed felt well as you desribe really, not very exciting. Then two things happened, firstly I realised I could go wayyyyyyy faster round corners and I then had my alignment sorted and replaced some worn crap. I quickly realised at this point it was very planted and I could go even faster.

Moral of the story is get it checked out then try harder. Front wheel drives are a lot easier to drive fast at first, but once you learn to drive a rwd car properly you will kill things. Robert who lives in Hampshire, his z32 which the rolling stock is pretty stock just prolly bushed etc, that car is faster round a track even in the wet that a 911 turbo. Get it checked out mate.

Get some instruction. Proper performance instruction, preferably on an airfield or track so you can really push it.

Next, get a decent geo setup. Not just the wheels pointing straight, but go somewhere who can tailor your car to do what you want it to.

Then get some better boots. MPSS, will make a massive difference again. Also get some Rays on, £500 and you will notice the difference.

If, after all that you still aren't enjoying the car, then it's probably not the right car for you.

• Like 2

Depending on how much you want to do these are the things you should look at

Rays with good tyres, Conti sport contact 3 or Michelin pilot super sport

Good set of coilovers. Hsd, MeisterR etc

Adjustable rear camber arms and toe bolts, Eibach

Proper alignment, kaiser motors etc

Good brake pads and braided lines with good brake fluid and a braided clutch line, Ebc yellowstuff, hel braided brake and clutch line with ate superblue fluid

And finally for good measure a proper service with gearbox oil change and molyslip then diff oil change

Trust me after that lot you'll realise what an awesome car the z really is and how capable it is in every aspect

Honestly mate, my Zed had standard OEM alloys on it and it drove pretty well, but after i had a go in NeilP's zed with the ray alloys it felt totally different.

OK Neil has probably done a hell of a lot of upgrades to his car, but even he said the rays make a big difference!

I only ever had rays but they are very light and any weight saved on the wheels makes a huge difference on a nicely balanced car like the Zed. I personally wouldn't worry about anything more than rays, decent pads & discs when needed and braided lines. That will make a big difference and when you have got used to that think about other options if needed :thumbs:

After ive finished the repairs and wrap, ill grab a set of rays :D never been a big fan, but if their black, their not gonna stand out anyway and I could do with having a bit more fun in corners.

Pads and discs getting done this month, so rays should be on the christmas list :)

Took the car out today for a spin, pushed a little bit more and tbh I think alot of it is just me worrying about the car sliding. But ill keep going until I hit a certain point then try rays and mpss :D

Thanks for all the replies :)

After ive finished the repairs and wrap, ill grab a set of rays :D never been a big fan, but if their black, their not gonna stand out anyway and I could do with having a bit more fun in corners.

Pads and discs getting done this month, so rays should be on the christmas list :)

Took the car out today for a spin, pushed a little bit more and tbh I think alot of it is just me worrying about the car sliding. But ill keep going until I hit a certain point then try rays and mpss :D

With the TCS on you won't slide unless you are being REALLY silly.... Just push till it feels on the edge, if it does break free the TCS will catch it ;)

Obviously best not on the open road ;)

• Like 1

With the TCS on you won't slide unless you are being REALLY silly.... Just push till it feels on the edge, if it does break free the TCS will catch it ;)

Obviously best not on the open road ;)

It's all about the 'touch' and the 'feel' isn't it SMD ;)

After ive finished the repairs and wrap, ill grab a set of rays grin.gif never been a big fan, but if their black, their not gonna stand out anyway and I could do with having a bit more fun in corners.

Pads and discs getting done this month, so rays should be on the christmas list smile.gif

To me it sounds like your brain has clicked on the Rays are the solution, i have your alloys but with MPSS, and my car goes round bends like a hooligan! being chased on foot by a police officer :p