how to make the zed drive better

ddcboyle

So recently ive noticed the zed doesnt seem as planted or sporty as I want it to be. I know it cant take corners like a fwd or front wheel, but I just keep feeling that when I take corners it doesnt feel like im driving a sports car. Its a bit like driving a very fast normal car. How would I go around making it feel that little bit more sporty without splashing thousands?

Im presuming its suspension area and maybe eibach struts? Its not for track, just for bendy roads so not looking to break the bank.

Ideally I want it to feel planted to the road

Sounds odd to me, I've always found the cornering ability excellent. Probably not quite as good as my was MR2 but that was midship and not as heavy.

Might be worth checking if you strut braces are tight. Try wobbling them from the middle, if they move they could do with being tightened up.

Tyres is also a good shout.

But to answer your question, id say either lowering springs or coilovers, and maybe anti roll bar.

Eibach springs or BC Racing BR series coilovers would be my personal choice.

So recently ive noticed the zed doesnt seem as planted or sporty as I want it to be. I know it cant take corners like a fwd or front wheel, but I just keep feeling that when I take corners it doesnt feel like im driving a sports car. Its a bit like driving a very fast normal car. How would I go around making it feel that little bit more sporty without splashing thousands?

Im presuming its suspension area and maybe eibach struts? Its not for track, just for bendy roads so not looking to break the bank.

This part worries me!

You should be able to take corners as fast if not faster than a FWD car of similar chassis/spec....obviously this is not a rule of thumb that all RWD cars are quicker in the bends than FWD.

In FWD the front tyres are applying the turn and momentum where are in RWD you are being pushed from behind and the front wheels are only doing the turning. Meaning traction is greater.

Your problem could be down to many issues.....alignment, tyres wear, tyre pressure, the actual tyres themselves! Worn shocks etc etc...!

• Like 2

Sounds odd to me, I've always found the cornering ability excellent. Probably not quite as good as my was MR2 but that was midship and not as heavy.

Might be worth checking if you strut braces are tight. Try wobbling them from the middle, if they move they could do with being tightened up.

But to answer your question, id say either lowering springs or coilovers, and maybe anti roll bar.

Checking strut brace, its only the front one above engine cover yeah? I took that off a while ago, to do spark plugs, might not have put it back on properly

They are relatively planted as standard, if its feeling wobbly then Id get the alignment checked and if its still not right start looking at replacing suspension bushes. If you want less roll then ARB's are generally the first stop, TBH though Id just go straight for coilovers as its not a lot more money for a lot more effect. :)

This part worries me!

You should be able to take corners as fast if not faster than a FWD car of similar chassis/spec....obviously this is not a rule of thumb that all RWD cars are quicker in the bends than FWD.

Youve never driven a 306 GTI-6 then ........ ;)

In FWD the front tyres are applying the turn and momentum where are in RWD you are being pushed from behind and the front wheels are only doing the turning. Meaning traction is greater.

But in FWD all of your weight is over the driven wheels, you can also shift weight past the point of drive more quickly. Which do you reckon is quicker in the wet?? ;)

Well my Zed was standard, original parts on over 100k and still felt sharp on turn in, sounds like something isn't right.

I strongly suggest you get it checked out before throwing loads of money at stuff to make it better mate....

I know what you mean about throwing a FWD drive around faster it is much easier and forgiving, you need big balls to do the same in a Zed :lol:

You should try it in a 2 tonne RWD Jag :drive1:scare:

Also good fun in a little MX-5 but only if I am on my own or I get told off :blackeye:

Edited by spursmaddave
  • Like 2

Checking strut brace, its only the front one above engine cover yeah? I took that off a while ago, to do spark plugs, might not have put it back on properly

Edit: There is a second in the boot but I may be being stupid and confusing it with a 370Z. The rear might just be a solid beam in the 350Z :lol:, never had the cover off mine.

Edited by longsh07

This part worries me!

But in FWD all of your weight is over the driven wheels, you can also shift weight past the point of drive more quickly. Which do you reckon is quicker in the wet?? ;)

I knew someone would throw the GTI-6 or DC2 out there, that's why I covered myself with the majority not the rule comment ;)

Lol well you shouldn't be driving hard in the wet anyway....O yeah and have you seen that new FWD Lambo?! :teeth:

• Like 1

Maybe its just me being a poof and scared of throwing car round a corner. Ill try tightening the strut bars, esp off and blast round somewhere and see how it feels.

Mpss are my next set of tyres to buy but vreds will last til the end of the year :/

And I like my oem wheels :lol: but may need to look at some 2nd hand rays since im wanting more from the car than just straight lines

Keeping it at the moment by the looks of it. Need to wait til parents buy a new house til I can look at moving to scotland (then see if im able to get a job quickly)

Ill have a look at tyres now, thats something I say im gonna do but always forget to do

going by your sig pic we have the same alloys! although mine are kitted out in MPSS i absolutly fly around corners <-- i have no idea why you have no confidence, the car sticks to road like friggen glue!

its gotta be something like

its all in your head

your tyres aint as good as the MPSS :)

as someone said above replace your bushes! (as worn bushes will turn your cars handling to crap) <-- if that were the case!

these cars from stock beat same year audi tt quattro round a track as demonstrated by TIFF :-), this car can handle - something aint working for you ?

This part worries me!

I knew someone would throw the GTI-6 or DC2 out there, that's why I covered myself with the majority not the rule comment ;)

Lol well you shouldn't be driving hard in the wet anyway....O yeah and have you seen that new FWD Lambo?! :teeth:

I also had the gti6 one advantage of fwd is that its more confidence inspiring and easy to correct if you go to far. Its easy to go fast in fwd it takes more experience and skill to go fast in rwd.

To be honest, you don't need to turn the ESP off to go fast around public roads (especially if your nervous about how far you can take the car..). I always leave mine on and can take corners at decent speeds. It would be gutting if the next post you made was 'So guys, I turned off the TC and got the woodland styling package for free'. :)

• Like 1

To be honest, you don't need to turn the ESP off to go fast around public roads (especially if your nervous about how far you can take the car..). I always leave mine on and can take corners at decent speeds. It would be gutting if the next post you made was 'So guys, I turned off the TC and got the woodland styling package for free'. :)

I was thinking the same

Kept esp on, tightened strut bar and pumped up tyres, they were on 28 so put to 35. Started growing some balls and seems like it probably wasnt down to the car, but just me being paranoid about it. I always kept thinking rwd car, back end will just kick out all the time.

Might go on fast driving course with the car, so I can find the limit safely :D

• Like 1