swap coupe for convertible at garage?

ddcboyle

I doubt many garages would swap one for one for any car unless they were trying to offload a lemon. It would also depend on what convertible too and the current value of each car in question.

In any case they will demand more for a convertible at the moment just because of the weather.

roadster prices vary depending on the season. Prices high over the summer and low during winter. You may have more chance in the winter but i doubt it, garage will only want to swap if they benefit and can make money from the transaction

There is nothing in it for a garage to do this. They are in business to make money and no two cars would be so alike there would not be a price difference. Stick with the Coupe, it's too hot for a Roadster now , unless you have a large hat and lots of sun lotion and without meaning to be negative - the weather won't last - sadly........

Edited by Wendy

Roadster prices are not as strong so in theory yes but you will always lose out as the dealer will pull your pants down on your car then sell you his at a higher price.

Roasters don't look right anyway. 370z roadster...now your talking :D

Edited by S1 HNK

Okay. I sold my 07 HR roadster at a garage last year for about 9k. They stuck it on their forecourt for £12k. Baring in mind that roadster prices for an 07 are (or were this last few years when i checked) typically 2 grand higher than the coupe. And that the garage will give you about 30% below their forecourt price for your car there is no way they would do a straight swap.

In my 07 example, if id had driven up there the next day in an 07 coupe they would have given me probably 7k for the coupe, meaning id need nearly double that to get my roadster back from them.

Not only that, this time of year, convertibles increase in price by around 15% as dealers know when a bit of sun comes out a lot of people want soft tops, so they are very very unlikely to budge on screen prices unless, as someone else said, they have some sack of poo car they want to off-load quickly, or you are swapping an 07 coupe for an 03 roadster.

Ive been keeping an eye on the roadster prices over the last 3 years and im still amazed at what some dealers are trying to sell their roadsters for on ebay. 10k for an 04 plate for example...

EDIT: Although for just £17.99 you can easily swap your coupe for a roadster using this:

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=152431

Edited by rabbitstew

Don't think the roadster comes into the equation, it's the fact when you drive into a dealer they will show you the CAP value which is generally a good bit less than you see the same model of car selling for privately.

But their car is at full retail price, they don't show you the CAP price of their car.

When I was just looking for my new 350 the past few weeks, I had set a budget of £7k and there were 2 roadsters on Autotrader in this bracket, I bought one on an 05 plate with 72k miles, full service history, full years MOT, brand new tyres all round etc etc for £6,300.

All of the Coupe's around same age and mileage were also selling between £6-£7k.

Get your car sold and buy a Roadster, it's the dogs dangles in this weather, get a cracking suntan while the wind blows thru your hair ;)

• Like 1

Any idea if id be able to swap a coupe for a convertible at a garage, 1 for 1?

We're all jumping to the same conclusion here. We're assuming he means a 350Z roadster, when he's simply stated 'a convertible'.

I have a colleague with an S reg MGF that would happily do you a 1 for 1 swap.... :teeth:

• Like 3

I wasnt for the coupe because of the soft top, but with a nismo kit v2 it does look awesome. Was thjnking of selling mine but then its the thing of, I just put new exhaust clutch and flywheel on car. Probably end up selling my coupe for 7k and buying roadster for 7k that ill need to do the same for, if not have to pay 8k for roadster and do more to it.

Didnt think garage would do it, just didnt knoebif coupes sold easier than roadster and maybe they would have swapped, but guess not :lol: thanks for replies though :)

Maybe ask dealer if they would swap 1 for 1 with additional 1grand or 2grand depending if the roadster came with some good mods

I always love reading what people say about the motor trade when they obviously know nothing about it!

If you want to know just a little bit of truth.

general dealer markup is 20%.

there will always be more margin in a vehicle the dealer bought at trade rather than a customers trade in. If you can establish which it is you will have a greater ability to bargain with the dealer.

they are not trying to pull your pants down, they are making a living, if they were actually robbing everyone blind they would be retired by now.

Dealers pay 20% VAT on the profit they make. Most people dont ever think about this and slate the dealer for trying to make a fortune.

CAP and glasses are trade guides, they are prices often based on what a car would make at auction or a sale to the trade (especially CAP). Dont assume the value you might get shown is what your car is worth, its worth what the dealer is willing to pay.

Dealers do also get it wrong, more often than you might think and can loose thousands on a bad deal.

last but not least, if you think a dealers job is easy then give it a try yourself and see how many sleepless nights you suddenly have...

• Like 1

I was contemplating a roadster at first, but I put a thread on PH why do I see so many convertibles with the roof up.

Answers back mainly, it's to hot, or worse time to put the roof down is in the sunshine, they put the roof up and switch on the air con.

Dry overcast day in the winter / autumn / spring, seemed to be the choice of ideal weather.

Killed off any remaining nagging doubts that I wanted one.

Trouble is clutch & flywheel are servicable parts, yeah its a selling point that they have just been done but don't expect that to push the price up... ditto for pads/discs etc all very nice but doesn't add any value to a car, just makes it more attractive than another that has older servicable parts...

I was contemplating a roadster at first, but I put a thread on PH why do I see so many convertibles with the roof up.

Answers back mainly, it's to hot, or worse time to put the roof down is in the sunshine, they put the roof up and switch on the air con.

Dry overcast day in the winter / autumn / spring, seemed to be the choice of ideal weather.

Unless its raining my roof will be down, no point having a roadster if you arnt going to enjoy it

Unless its raining my roof will be down, no point having a roadster if you arnt going to enjoy it

I agree, I used to have an Elise and everywhere I went, the roof was off unless it was bucketing down with rain. I couldn't see the point of a convertible and not taking the roof off.

I doubt many garages would swap one for one for any car unless they were trying to offload a lemon. It would also depend on what convertible too and the current value of each car in question.

In any case they will demand more for a convertible at the moment just because of the weather.

He is offloading a lime lol. It's green:)

I always love reading what people say about the motor trade when they obviously know nothing about it!

If you want to know just a little bit of truth.

general dealer markup is 20%.

there will always be more margin in a vehicle the dealer bought at trade rather than a customers trade in. If you can establish which it is you will have a greater ability to bargain with the dealer.

they are not trying to pull your pants down, they are making a living, if they were actually robbing everyone blind they would be retired by now.

Dealers pay 20% VAT on the profit they make. Most people dont ever think about this and slate the dealer for trying to make a fortune.

CAP and glasses are trade guides, they are prices often based on what a car would make at auction or a sale to the trade (especially CAP). Dont assume the value you might get shown is what your car is worth, its worth what the dealer is willing to pay.

Dealers do also get it wrong, more often than you might think and can loose thousands on a bad deal.

last but not least, if you think a dealers job is easy then give it a try yourself and see how many sleepless nights you suddenly have...

Calm down dear :D