Air conditioning - does it go lower than 18degrees?

Mooresy14

Am I being thick? (Probably) but my AC doesn't seem very cold. I've checked the manual and put the AC on and have it on lowest setting ie 18 degrees and it just feels like air being blown through the car. Doesn't feel like cold air.

Anyone know how to get the lowest air con on a 54 Z? Should I not even be touching the temperature dial and buttons?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

My aircon at 18 degrees freezes me to the point of having goosebumps, even in that really hot weather we've been having recently. I'd get it regassed or at least checked over. My old S14 needed regassing every couple of years as it would blow warm and after regassing it was freezing again.

Your not meant to regas aircon as its a closed system. IMO before you get it done just use aircon for 2-3 days all the time and I bet it will go ice cold again.

+1

so the only reason it should ever need a regas is if its leaking? mines booked in regas on saturday - i've run it during the hot weather and its not working at all - mind you they have regas it to find the leak dont they. Why should running it constantly make any difference?

There is only one reason to ever turn aircon off and that's if you're on track and need every pony you can get.

They may not need regasing, but they need serviced every few years.

At my service last year I was offered AC re-gassing for free so I accepted, at this years service I now apparently have a leaking AC condenser as there's UV dye visible. As my AC still works perfectly I'm not going to swap the condenser just yet, but could the dye be from overfilling?

Your not meant to regas aircon as its a closed system. IMO before you get it done just use aircon for 2-3 days all the time and I bet it will go ice cold again.

no it wont, I'm an a/c engineer if it has lost its charge which most cars will do, it will need recharged.

Air coming out of vents should be well below 10degree Celsius with seconds of being turned on. Running a system for extra time will not make it work.

An air con regas consists of-

Reclaim any old refrigerant.

Pressure test with Oxygen free nitrogen to ensure no leaks.

Vacuum the system out to remove any moisture.

Recharge system with correct weight of gas.

This is the correct procedure for regassing any a/c system.

At my service last year I was offered AC re-gassing for free so I accepted, at this years service I now apparently have a leaking AC condenser as there's UV dye visible. As my AC still works perfectly I'm not going to swap the condenser just yet, but could the dye be from overfilling?

No, if theres dye visible theres a leak.

I'm not sure about vehicles but in buildings there is big fines for having refrigerant leaking due to the effect it has on the atmosphere.

+1

so the only reason it should ever need a regas is if its leaking? mines booked in regas on saturday - i've run it during the hot weather and its not working at all - mind you they have regas it to find the leak dont they. Why should running it constantly make any difference?

They pressure test with nitrogen to find the leak

mines the same, hole in the radiator (which im guessing is the condenser).

mines the same, hole in the radiator (which im guessing is the condenser).

Yeah that's the condenser

Hi Neil,

I've been wondering about my AC didn't realise we had an pro on here.

My AC works fine, cold all the time perfect. However it's not been touched since it rolled of the production line 9 years ago.

Do I need to get it serviced? Having read conflicting advice on the web I'm unclear.

Like I say works perfectly. What does a service involve?

Thank you

Steve

No it's doesn't have to be service. The condenser can do with a clean down and, if you can get into it , the evaporator could be disinfected and freshened up to improve performance. As long as its working fine i wouldn't worry about it though.

• Like 1