Selling a car to overseas buyer

Mrs Buster

Now that I am the proud owner of Bluebell, the time has come to part with my beloved Daffodil (yellow MX5).

I advertised the car on Pistonheads and have received an enquiry from a chap in northern France. Amongst other things, he is asking for the chassis number. Is there a valid reason for this or is it a scam?

Most likely a scam, lots and lots of these about at the moment. If 'he' emailed you, Google his email address and that will usually pull up loads of results. I had about 10 emails from people supposedly wanting to buy my previous car when it was for sale so I just ignored them in the end and removed contact via email on my adverts. If someone is seriously interested then they will phone.

• Like 1

I was a member back in 2006 on the Supra UK forum, wanted to sell my Supra but had no offers. One day I got a private message from a dealer in Sweden who wanted the car.

He came over the following week with £5,500 in cash in his backpack, I parked up outside the bank and we both watched them count every penny into my bank account. An hour later and off he went with the car.

Unbelievable, but true!

Most likely a scam, lots and lots of these about at the moment. If 'he' emailed you, Google his email address and that will usually pull up loads of results. I had about 10 emails from people supposedly wanting to buy my previous car when it was for sale so I just ignored them in the end and removed contact via email on my adverts. If someone is seriously interested then they will phone.

*sigh*

It's incredibly common for Frenchies to buy a car from the UK, and make the initial contact via email. It's what I would do if buying from abroad and my foreign language wasn't as good as it could be. Again, it's something I'd chase up if I wanted the sale, not ignore.

Convertibles are much more expensive in France apparently. My mate recently sold his Astra Convertible to an ex pat living in France. My mate was skeptical initially but when the guy turned up with cash in his hand and agreed a price he was persuaded. The guy explained that for an identical Astra but LHD in France he`d have to pay nearly double the price.

They did a deal, the buyer drove the car back to France, then re-registered it there. Once he was back in France, he even sent the old tax disc back to my friend so he could claim back his road tax.

Everything went nice & smoothly and everyone was happy.

Well I have been emailing back and forth today and he's asked for more photos which I will send when I get home.

His intention is to fly into Bournemouth where he wants me to pick him up (enter Keyser and Buster for this bit). I have told him pound notes only so watch this space!!

Well I have been emailing back and forth today and he's asked for more photos which I will send when I get home.

His intention is to fly into Bournemouth where he wants me to pick him up (enter Keyser and Buster for this bit). I have told him pound notes only so watch this space!!

Might be worth having a look at a Lotus forum like SELOC and searching there, a lot of Elises/Exiges get sold to European buyers, as they offer much better value. When I was selling my Exige I had 2 queries from Europe for every 1 from the UK. It was actually a UK buyer in the end but it is fine to sell overseas as long as you do the correct checks. I think there maybe something a bit funky with the V5 as it's being exported, but can't remember if that's the buyer or sellers responsibility.

I sold a motorbike to a guy from France

He gave me a deposit through paypal, then came over on the euro, saw the bike and was happy. We then went down the high street and i watched him take 4.5K out of the ATM which he had arranged with his bank. We then went to my bank and paid it in.

Once that was done and i was happy we went back to the house and i watched him ride off on the bike.

I was concerned it was a scam but if you take precautions it should be fine. I made sure the timing was right so the money he gave me could be paid into the bank before he took the bike. That way there`s nothing to worry about.

*sigh*

It's incredibly common for Frenchies to buy a car from the UK, and make the initial contact via email. It's what I would do if buying from abroad and my foreign language wasn't as good as it could be. Again, it's something I'd chase up if I wanted the sale, not ignore.

This.

The french guy who bought my Skyline told me that over there most Jap cars cost big money so its cheaper to buy from the UK.

The guy who bought my car needed a copy of the front page of the V5 & also the chassis number so that he could insure it in France & it would cover him to drive it in the UK

And if their English isnt so good?

If someone can explain to me how someone can fly into an airport with a bag full of cash and it still be a scam Id like to hear it.

If someone can explain to me how someone can fly into an airport with a bag full of cash and it still be a scam Id like to hear it.

Counterfeit money?

I had my XKR on ebay and it was an older gentleman from Germany who flew over with his son and paid cash for the car and drove it away. He was a collector and some of the cars in his collection that he was telling me about were unbelievable.

Picked him up at Edinburgh airport and gave him a road test by driving back to Hamilton where he was staying at services over night before driving down to get a custom exhaust fitted by Arden before heading home.

Counterfeit money?

I knew someone would say that :lol:

I wouldnt sell to you anyway though, youre from another country :p

It's unlikely it's a scam- I sold my exige to a european buyer (german) and that was £20k of cash. There is always a risk of it being counterfeit and the only way to be sure (without buying many, many counterfeit pens!) is to go to the bank, with the buyer and pay the money in. This is fool proof and much safer IMHO. Bank transfers are also good but i'd stay well clear of paypal for a transaction like this- there are all sorts of ways to loose your money, especially if it's over ~£500 as you're not covered by the usual paypal guarantees.

To be fair, I dont think telling chassis number would be much of a problem considering we all have bonnet up in car shows, showing the number.

However, why would they need the chassis number?

For insurance ;)