Dropping to 40 profile on standard Rays

EvansJD2112

I'll need to replace all 4 tyres soon and settled on Vredestein ULTRAC SESSANTA

I can save a decent chunk by dropping to a 40 profile.

Other than the speedo not reading quite right, any downside?

Mytyres best price fitted I can find.

245/45 = £172.20

245/40 = £142.20

Might look a bit ..off as the 45's fill the arches ok, not sure how the 40's might look, possibly too small?

No lol.

Gets rid of the balloon tyre look.

Makes the car a little lower.

Tyres cost less.

Better range of tyres like f1a2's.

better response when turning in.

less weight.

Better looking.

I wouldn't go with the vreds though. They are alright but other tyres last much much longer than them.

• Like 1

I'll need to replace all 4 tyres soon and settled on Vredestein ULTRAC SESSANTA

I can save a decent chunk by dropping to a 40 profile.

Other than the speedo not reading quite right, any downside?

Mytyres best price fitted I can find.

245/45 = £172.20

245/40 = £142.20

If u can get to ruislip tyres (west london) its 140 per tyre and that includes fitting

Just be aware that you may encounter some issues with the TCS systems, as some cars really don't like being run on anythjing other than 45 profile tyres. You may be okay, you may not.

Personally I wouldn't risk it as there's plenty of decent tyres available in the correct sizes.

As long as the F/R ratio is the same it may be ok. There is currently an x% difference in rolling radius with the 225/45 245/45, so calculate the difference and get tyres to match. I do think on Rays it's going to look weird because they arent that wide, but you'll be fitting similar sized tyres to them that you would a 9.5" rim.

As long as the F/R ratio is the same it may be ok. There is currently an x% difference in rolling radius with the 225/45 245/45, so calculate the difference and get tyres to match. I do think on Rays it's going to look weird because they arent that wide, but you'll be fitting similar sized tyres to them that you would a 9.5" rim.

Standard diameter 677.7mm, new diameter 653.2mm. I've worked the difference out to be 3.61517% which is my own calculation so may well be wrong :lol:

Standard diameter 677.7mm, new diameter 653.2mm. I've worked the difference out to be 3.61517% which is my own calculation so may well be wrong :lol:

There is a 2.73% difference front to rear on OEM sizes, so I guess the sizes required for dropping to series 40 tyres would be 245 and 265 which gives a 2.45% difference that should be close enough :)

I run 40 profile r888's on track and they are fine, no tcs issues when its turned on

Thank you! I'm been telling people this for ages but they keep coming up with well tcs issues. This is coming from people who have never changed the tyre size on their car. I've been running 40 profiles for 2 years and it's probably one of my favourite changes.

Not regulars, because they know better. You and I both know there's been many posts on here over the years of people who have had issues with the TCS because they ran odd profile tyres, either on 18 or 19 inch wheels. Sadly I don't keep a list of their names to hand, so apologies for that.