Dropping to 40 profile on standard Rays

EvansJD2112

Buts it's always I get these tyres from eBay or gumtree etc.

The sizes are always messed up. Im not sure if it's because the ratio between from and back is the same or maybe and too the change is so small not noticed by the car. The guys running 305s on the bank and pram tyres on the from will have problems. The guys running a big differences front and back have problems.

Well, looks like it's going to be 40 based on the posts.

Tbh, I like the look of the Vreds and seeing as I do less then 4k miles per year and never 'push' the car, I think they'll be fine.

Thx for the posts

The tread on those tyres is awesome!

• 3 months later...

Does anyone have any pictures of 40 profiles?

I have the standard Rays and have fitted Eibach springs and wondering how it'd look with 235/40/18 fronts and 245/40/18 rears.

The front 225/45's look ok but I feel the rear 245/45's are a tad balloony.

Might look a bit ..off as the 45's fill the arches ok, not sure how the 40's might look, possibly too small?

No lol.

Gets rid of the balloon tyre look.

Makes the car a little lower.

Tyres cost less.

Better range of tyres like f1a2's.

better response when turning in.

less weight.

Better looking.

I wouldn't go with the vreds though. They are alright but other tyres last much much longer than them.

Pictures?

Because 'better' is subjective. They don't look as good to my eyes as you end up with a larger gap between rubber and arch, but you do get a better choice of rubber so if your TCS can stand it, then I'd definitely switch as well.

• Like 1

Because 'better' is subjective. They don't look as good to my eyes as you end up with a larger gap between rubber and arch, but you do get a better choice of rubber so if your TCS can stand it, then I'd definitely switch as well.

Not if your lowered. Also 45 on anything over 195 looks massive and baloony. Also it lowers your car by another cm too.

But if you're not lowered, which the vast majority of cars are not, then it looks a bit daft. Like I say, it didn't bother me as my car wasn't lowered and I preferred the run 40 profile so I could use 888s, but then I prefer to see a bit of tyre than just wheel. I like cars that look like cars, not rollerskates. ;) ;) ;)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just picking up o this thread again

I need two new rears, at the moment have re50a all round with standard 245/45/18 on the back and 225/40/18 on the front, was gonna drop 40 profile on the rear, phoned a couple of places, one said they wouldn't recomend 40's all round and could only get them in a merc and audi fitment, ????, is this bollox

Cheers Rob

Yes. Utter rubbish.

You'd be much better off going either 45 all round or 40 all round, it's a miracle you're not having TCs issues tbh.

Hi

Havn,t had the car that long, I knew I'd be needing some rears, the fronts are fine but 40 profile, so, was gonna match the rears with 40 profile too

As far as traction, nipped out last night, roads were cold and greasy and yes I could feel the car moving a bit on the rear, now, whether that is down to the raods, profile or just lack of tread on the tyre, more than likely not having any heat in the tyre

Rob