Anyone on here?

spursmaddave

Negligence is an understatement, pure idiocy! Driving at that speed alone in the public realm is extremely dangerous, let alone through a restricted zone where other drivers are abiding and workers may be present.

These roadworks have been in place for quite a while now, most people abide by the limit, although I frequently experience drivers flying past me at what must be 70+, which always begs the question....do the average speed cameras clock you or do they act as symbols and imply traffic enforcement? Some drivers claim that each camera is attributed to a single lane, therefore you can change lanes and distort or void the reading. Not sure about that one :lol:, but what I am sure about is everyday day somebody passes me well over the limit?

Kind of off topic, but many of my friends, some of whom are taxi drivers claim that 'most, if not all static cameras in our city are switched off.' I do have first hand experience with one camera in particular, one very close to home. Driving past at the limit I am frequently passed by many who fly through it, including emergency vehicles and it does not flash! Again suggesting that a lot of cameras act as mere visual deterrents. I am looking forward to the day it becomes active again, that way people may abide by speed limits.

I highly doubt most cameras will be turned on. Again I think I read this in the news that instead of the government controlling speed cameras, they were handed over to the local council. They dont have enough funds or can justify the cost of maintainance and have frequently just left it there unuseable. Some councils have started to remove them in the believe that speed cameras cause more accidents with people slowing down too fast. Especially since those crafty guys put a sign reducing speed on a corner with a camera next to it trying to grab our money.

Police vehicles would be more of a detterant. Takes about 10miles to get past one driving at 70 and were all doing 71mph lol.

I know a couple of people who when commuting went thought average speed cameras over the limit and nothing ever came of it. Personally I don't like to risk it.

Kind of off topic, but many of my friends, some of whom are taxi drivers claim that 'most, if not all static cameras in our city are switched off.' I do have first hand experience with one camera in particular, one very close to home. Driving past at the limit I am frequently passed by many who fly through it, including emergency vehicles and it does not flash! Again suggesting that a lot of cameras act as mere visual deterrents. I am looking forward to the day it becomes active again, that way people may abide by speed limits.

I know there are a few types of non-average check cameras but the main ones are front and rear facing cameras.

The rear facing (Gatso) cameras with square lens/flash use radar to measure speed. These flash because they face the rear of the car and so less risk of blinding the driver.

The front facing (Truvelo) cameras with round lens/flash use loops in the road to measure speed. Normally indicated by two or three narrow white lines across the road. These use infra red flash which is not visible to the human eye hence why they can take a picture of the front of the car.

Cant vouch for the one near you but is is possible that its a Truvelo infra red one and all these people passing you are getting caught :lol:

They dont have enough funds or can justify the cost of maintainance and have frequently just left it there unuseable.

Agreed, I have one near me that has been duct taped over the lens/flash for a few weeks now. Nothing been done about it.

• Like 1

Police vehicles would be more of a detterant. Takes about 10miles to get past one driving at 70 and were all doing 71mph lol.

:lol:

Quite a rare sight, but it always amuses me when you notice a convoy of vehicles behind a single police car on the motorway, all plucking up the courage to overtake.

Quite a rare sight, but it always amuses me when you notice a convoy of vehicles behind a single police car on the motorway, all plucking up the courage to overtake.

Coppers must be having quite a giggle too.

Not quite a Bristol story but I passed a police car on the M25 the other day by doing 75. I thought it was plain silly the swathe of middle lane traffic behind him at 69mph (Sat Nav GPS speed). At the same time there had been an accident causing a car inversion on the opposite carriage way which was seemingly missed by said police car, as he did nothing to assist - eg exit at next junction. Accident had just happened, and the queue had just started - so he must have had blinkers on or distracted in conversation! Then when it came to the roadworks section (50MPH average) I was driving in the inner lane for the A1 doing exactly 50MPH by GPS, to see the police car carry on cruising passed at what looked like 60. Almost wondered if the police car was a fake in its occupants' disregard for their surroundings!

I always drive at 75 on the speedo. It's a speed that ensures good progress, and you'll never get tugged or flashed for it. I don't understand people who drive at 80mph+ but slow down to a crawl when they see a copper: Have they not heard of unmarked cars, or mobile speed traps? Just do a speed you're happy to do if in plain sight of a traffic officer, makes for a much more relaxing drive.

I always drive at 75 on the speedo. It's a speed that ensures good progress, and you'll never get tugged or flashed for it. I don't understand people who drive at 80mph+ but slow down to a crawl when they see a copper: Have they not heard of unmarked cars, or mobile speed traps? Just do a speed you're happy to do if in plain sight of a traffic officer, makes for a much more relaxing drive.

From what Ive heard from friends in police. Anything 85 or below isnt worth pulling over, unless their driving dangerously or dont seem in complete control at their current speed. Not promoting going over the speed limit, but thats most likely why their looking at increasing motorway speed to 80.

Edit: and because its no 1923 and cars can now reach the speed limit and not vibrate all over the place :)

Only issue by raising is... going 70mph on motorway then slowing to 50 for roadworks.. u feel so slow and go maybe 54, 55mph.

going 80 and slowing to 50, how many are going to keep below 55 when theyve been going 80 for however many miles.

Although I hope it does raise to 80 so we dont get crabs and snails having a party in the fast lane :lol:

Edited by ddcboyle

You may not get pulled for 85 or below, but a camera will certainly grab you ;)

I do 50mph in the roadworks, no idea why people have such trouble sticking to a limit.

Yep if its 2 lanes i pull alongside another car and stick bang on 50 and wait for an audi or bmw badge to fill my rear view mirror, sometimes they try to undertake to i just creep up to close the gap and slow down again :teeth:

Passes the time.......

I do 50mph in the roadworks, no idea why people have such trouble sticking to a limit.

Yep if its 2 lanes i pull alongside another car and stick bang on 50 and wait for an audi or bmw badge to fill my rear view mirror, sometimes they try to undertake to i just creep up to close the gap and slow down again :teeth:

Passes the time.......

Im pretty sure you can actually go through them at 60. But thats from speedo and their innacurate (presuming its so u always have a few mph gap for safety)

Yeah I tend just to pick a smooth flowing lane and stick cruise control on at 50

Sent from my phone.

I come up and down the M6 near weekly.

Some of the speed limits at these road works are completely needless IMO, especially as often there is nobody even working at night!

One of the reasons they leave the speed limits on at night is that some loonies take great delight in deliberately scattering cones all over the road :lol: . Just recently Scottish power dug half a mile of road up close to me and every morning there were squashed cones everywhere....but none were damaged in daylight.

Pete