Need commuting wheels, tempted by an old Merc barge, and others....

Bockaaarck

Guys, I'm in the market for a reasonably powered, fairly reliable, comfortable drive as a commuting 'bus'. I've been having a nose around the last few weeks as my little Audi is just starting to go beyond its better days. I don't want to spend a fortune ( £1 - £3000) as its a commuting car I'm after but I do want something that will scoot along reasonably and that can potentially handle mileage of 20 - 30,000 a year, so its current mileage needs to sit within the 50 - 70,000 mile range.

I've looked at Mondeo's, Focus, Primera's and older BMW's (3 series around yr 2000) as well as considering the Hyundai Coupe (2.7 V6 is potentially a 'goer') as motors that would fit the bill. However, there is a lovely looking W124 Mercedes 260E near me which has done around 55K and it is really tempting me. Its at the top of my budget and it is 20+ years old. I'm struggling to find anything else that 'gives me the fizz' so to speak. What are your thoughts chaps, anything I should watch out for in terms of the Hyundai, the Merc or anything else?

A friend had an old merc, used to drink fuel like nobodies business and cost a bomb to run. It was ancient though.

Mmm fuel is consideration Will but I also need something which will handle the miles. I know the old Mercs are supposed to be pretty rock solid but the age concerns me. Sensible head says get a Mondeo / Focus, "Man Maths" head says "Get an V12 XJS it will be amazing, don't worry about it..." :lol:

Edited by Bockaaarck

I'll tell you in a few weeks how the BMW is :lol:

My short list & budget was pretty similar to yours, decided on the 525 though because out of all my possibles it was the best looking, best equipped & much nicer inside. Insurance is also pretty reasonable.

TBH my car does need the rear bumper resprayed & it's got a few marks on the body but for £2k I'm not gonna grumble - especially when it comes with a folder full of service history & receipts for a few thousand spent in the last year (including water pump, viscous fans, belts etc.)

I found the Mercs incredibly basic/boring inside, the Mondeo was just bland all round & a jag was too expensive to insure

Nice links ph 7, the 500 SEC is hilarious, god that would be epic! Have to say I did notice the 540I, very tempted by that as a solid commuter barge. The 525 is very tidy as well, another good recommendation.

The BMW you've picked up looks pretty good Ian, be interested to see what you're going to do with it mod wise :lol:

I can name lots of things but what's the fizz? IMO id get a mile munching bomb proof diesel.

The fizz is the feeling James May gets in his nether regions when excited about a car as he drives it.

I had heard that the 2.7 Hyundai coupe wasn't as quick as one might think Dblock. That in itself isn't a major issue to be honest but the fuel economy might be.

As I'm going to be doing a hefty amount of miles it's got to have a reasonable sized engine 2 litre plus. I believe there were some concerns about the early Ford TDCI engines, so I'm a little wary of the Mondeo and Focus diesel units.

The X Type diesel is tempting Chris, wonder if its the same TDCI as in the Mondeo?

Edited by Bockaaarck

I've heard the ford units suck. Dmf and injector problems are expensive. For 3k what about an Ibiza pd130. Decat and your running 160ish bhp and a crap load of torque. Or a Octavia, bora, Leon, golf, passat, a4 1.9tdi?

A few odd ones but if it's motorway miles I'd stil perfer a German diesel.

Clio 172 average 36mpg, quick, lots of equipment.

330d e46 will be higher miles but still nice cars.

Mx5. Small fun?

Lexus gs300?

Ricey had a very bad experience with a Merc.................. :surrender:

I did but most significantly I spent fricking weeks chewing Dblock and Biscuits ears off........summarily ignored their advice (including Dblocks very specific advice regarding the very same problem that killed the car) and went and bought a 60k car for 5k..........blind.

Mercs of that era can be a little shoddy but if you do your homework you can avoid experiances like mine.

Basically I'm a dick.

I did but most significantly I spent fricking weeks chewing Dblock and Biscuits ears off........summarily ignored their advice (including Dblocks very specific advice regarding the very same problem that killed the car) and went and bought a 60k car for 5k..........blind.

Mercs of that era can be a little shoddy but if you do your homework you can avoid experiances like mine.

Basically I'm a dick.

Lol. It's all experience at the end of the day. I personally really like Mercs and BMWs for mile munching. But a complicated one with everything in it would have been £60k and over so when they break they are expensive.

The Merc I was looking at was a W124, last of the really solid ones. 1992 J Reg 260E, 56,000 miles, full service history, the works. Very smart looking car. As it is I just bought what for me will do the job. 2002 Seat Toledo, 2.3 V5, full serice history (13 stamps in 78,000 miles (a touch over what I wanted), meticulous previous owner. All the books, climate control, half leather seats, electric seats, new CD/ stereo, new sat nav, traction control, 170bhp. Drove as sweet as a nut, full service and full valer to be carried out before I pick her up, MOT up to Feb 2014 - £1600. Could have got something cheaper but such a tidy looking motor and the history is so good it just fitted the bill. Going to have to start looking at tuning options

• Like 1

The Merc I was looking at was a W124, last of the really solid ones. 1992 J Reg 260E, 56,000 miles, full service history, the works. Very smart looking car. As it is I just bought what for me will do the job. 2002 Seat Toledo, 2.3 V5, full serice history (13 stamps in 78,000 miles (a touch over what I wanted), meticulous previous owner. All the books, climate control, half leather seats, electric seats, new CD/ stereo, new sat nav, traction control, 170bhp. Drove as sweet as a nut, full service and full valer to be carried out before I pick her up, MOT up to Feb 2014 - £1600. Could have got something cheaper but such a tidy looking motor and the history is so good it just fitted the bill. Going to have to start looking at tuning options

Just saw this and that shoudld be a good mile cruncher.

Just saw this and that shoudld be a good mile cruncher.

That's the plan old friend, it's comfy, reasonable amount of poke, should hopefully keep me scooting along for a while.......besides, got the tape measure out earlier, XJS wouldn't fit in the garage :lol:

• Like 1

Basically I'm a dick.

Lol. It's all experience at the end of the day. I personally really like Mercs and BMWs for mile munching. But a complicated one with everything in it would have been £60k and over so when they break they are expensive.

Had that car not had that specific issue I still believe I would be smiling away now with a V8 grumble behind me. Unfortunately as with most things 'Ricey' I insist on learning the hard way!

Basically I'm a dick.

Had that car not had that specific issue I still believe I would be smiling away now with a V8 grumble behind me. Unfortunately as with most things 'Ricey' I insist on learning the hard way!

If you didn't learn of that 5k car you might have learned on a £30k car. Air suspension is something else too.