What's your motivation?

smudgedon

Taxes I love taxes - I leap from my bed in the morning happy in the knowledge that the more I do today the harder I work the more this superb goverment of ours will benifit by taking more out of my days earnings than I will!!! :yahoo:

I've only skim read the replies etc as I am at work, but it sounds like you are in a similar boat to me. I've not had my soal mate move or friends pass away but I have had many years of feeling alone. It makes meeting someone new and letting them in to my life very hard as much as I want to do it, I am just not used to it.

My friends all disappeared over the years, looking back though I realized none of them were ever very good friends shall we say. Just people who I made all the effort with and got nothing in return. Someone on here said friends get you through bad times in your life. What if you have no good friends to confide in?

For me I genuinely don't know what gets me out of bed in the morning. I can only look at it as though am a strong person to keep moving even though I don't have many great friends or a family to keep me going. All I can suggest is keep busy. I recently joined a gym just to get more social and be around people rather than sitting home alone in the evening dwelling on things.

If you aren't happy here and you saw your soul mate disappear of to Canada then why don't you set about moving to Canada too? At least then you would be happy?

When I split up with my long term ex a few years back, i lost her and I lost a family (her family became like my family as I don't have a close family), I was in a horrible place for quite sometime, but it really made me think... Even though things aren't great, I have it so much better than so many other people. Be grateful for the things you do have because there are people out there who struggle to stay alive just to see tomorrow.

Gym.

honestly, just go to the gym and do some weights and cardio, even light work. You may not be looking to become a beefcake but it will relieve so much stress and have you something to focus on for a bit.

When I get stressed/have things on my mind, I just go and spend an hour or two working on different machines. I find this really helps. it will wear you out, make you sleep great and tomorrow is another day.

when I broke up with my ex I wrote a bucket list. and on that list was skydiving, so book a flight to Australia and spent a year there having an awesome time.

you may not be able to just get up and go, but you may have other things to focus on.

I might get flamed for this but if she is your soul mate why you still here? Id go canada. What keeps you here. It you say that's your soul mate it would take more than moving to the other side of the world to get away from me.

Also you can feel down for a few days but dont fall into a endless circle of feeling sorry for yourself. I lost a few years doing that. Also you need to take responsibility in your life for things that go wrong too. When your feeling down you generally start pointing the finger at everyone which isn't helpful. It may be different in your case from what I've seen from myself and other people it's always that way.

Lastly you need to grow as a person. If this certain chapter in your life is closed as long as you have taken the experience etc from it and are a better person for it then it's win win.

• Like 1

Another option is to look for things happening locally which may, surprisingly be of interest to you. Now I'm not suggesting that you go to the pub and booze your nights away but they are often a good staring point for getting involved in other things.

Near us there's a great pub called the Raven for example. They have fortnightly story readings, stuff that people have written themselves, stuff from other authors. They also have discussion groups, like open forums for all sorts of issues. Fortunately they do mean pies and a good pint as well.

It's often a great atmosphere in there with all sorts of people (you and old) you might not normally meet. Getting out of your comfort zone is perhaps a good idea. Get to the gym, search out some local societies which may interest you ( Volunteer groups, The Lions etc, local Archeological society, College engine tuning course etc, etc) If your situation allows getting a cat or dog may be an option, they can be fantastic companions and have health benefits.

Have you considered taking up photography for example, even if initially its for your own pleasure. How about making a commitment to take one interesting photo a day and forming it in to some kind of challenge for yourself over 12 months to get something different each time, that will get you out and about, you'll never know who you'll meet

I got a cat! I've always been closer to my pets than any friends or members of my family, my horse knew more about me than anyone when I was growing up. My cat got me through, and still does get me through, many bad times, including being diagnosed with life long illnesses which my family knew nothing about as I was living on my own at the time and I just kept it all to myself. Mike has also been my rock the last few years and someone I certainly couldn't do without.

Sideways350z, you need a solicitor, I've been doing family law for 13 years and your story echoes that of past and present clients!

I had a son when I was only 18 with a stripper of all things,and hes now 13 ... coz im lucky enough to be retired...

You're responding to a guy feeling bad about himself/depressed and you say you had plenty of sex with a stripper and retired at 31?!?! How sensitive! :stir:

Smudge, if it makes you feel any better I'll probably never get laid again and will be working until I die.

Edited by HaydnH
  • Like 1

i second the cat recommendation! And if you're missing a romantic connection give online dating a try. I'm not ashamed to admit i met my other half on match. com after realising that meeting people through work wasn't a good idea (not great still having to work with someone you've been out with etc) :)

I went through a tough time a few years back for various reasons. My partner started to see a life coach, and I went to a few sessions, and have to say that it really helped me out, and focussed my mind on what I had, what id achieved, and what I had to look forward to. Its a sort of counciling, but focusses on looking forward not back. I also had a couple of very good friends that helped me out, with a couple of choices i had to make. Life isnt always easy, and although im 30, iv learnt that the things worth having, are the things that matter. Focus on solving one problem at a time, and that way, you will soon change your life for the better. Though you have to remember, it is only you that can change your life, nobody else.

We all have good days and bad days, but its the good days that always make the bad days seem more tollerable, no matter how few and far between they are.

Just have a positive outlook on life and mostly good things will happen, also never dwell on things that you could never gave helped or avoided or worry about things you have no control over...

An example, i had done a deal with a very good friend on here to buy one of my cars for more than I could get as a trade-in. Then 2 days before he was due to pick it up the gearbox decided to fall to bits!

Instead of thinking crap what am I going to do, my first thought was that I was glad it happened before I sold it to said friend. In the end he still took the car for what I would have got as a trade-in, if in running order so all turned out well in the end.

Also another of my tips is to avoid politics & religion, both completely useless and only achieve arguments and in extreme cases war....

• Like 1

Canada is only 8 hours flight away. I've "popped " to Toronto for several weekends over the years to see friends. Flights are not that expensive.

If this friend is your soul mate. You can achieve a future with that person IF you get off your ass and do it.

Listen to. ALAN WATTS on you tube. He is one hell of a motivational speaker/philosopher .

Search ALAN WATTS IF MONEY WERE NO OBJECT. On you tube

I have been where you are and on occasion slip back into feeling like @*!#. My advise is do not get a pet. It will be an added restriction on your options .

Get to gym get the endorphins flowing. You will feel like poop for the first few trips to gym then they will kick in and it will help.

Bash one out on occasion. That always helps.

i second the cat recommendation!

Just to clear this up.

By cat I take it you mean pussy?

:lol:

Jordan keep your chin up mate.

If your in a position too.

Take some time off work and get over to Canada and tell this soul mate how you feel. :shrug:

Failing that get yourself Down here to the West Country for a scrumpy cider weekend.

• Like 1

Canada is only 8 hours flight away. I've "popped " to Toronto for several weekends over the years to see friends. Flights are not that expensive.

If this friend is your soul mate. You can achieve a future with that person IF you get off your ass and do it.

Listen to. ALAN WATTS on you tube. He is one hell of a motivational speaker/philosopher .

Search ALAN WATTS IF MONEY WERE NO OBJECT. On you tube

I have been where you are and on occasion slip back into feeling like @*!#. My advise is do not get a pet. It will be an added restriction on your options .

Get to gym get the endorphins flowing. You will feel like poop for the first few trips to gym then they will kick in and it will help.

Bash one out on occasion. That always helps.

This

Edited by StevoD
  • Like 1

Good adds there SteveD

I've been converted to Alan watts work, been listening to his lectures for the last 6 months. It's truly amazing mind opening stuff. Makes you see things differently

As they say, your mind is like a parachute, it only works properly when its open.

• Like 1

Again, thanks for everyone's input to this :) great to see some inspirational quotes and ideas from people

To add to my worries, I've just been released from hospital after being very ill since Tuesday morning. Without going into detail, I've had to have a blood transfusion and am now on a 6 week course of anti biotics with regular blood testing which I can do at home on a little machine they gave me

Nothing too serious, but serious enough to be in hospital for a few days

And a big thank you to those people that have been sending me PM's with regards to the situation. Really appreciate the concern and advice :thumbs:

• Like 1

I still maintain that if you crack one off, the world seems a better place. Until you try and clean it off the curtains, of course. That can be a right pain. Allegedly.

Glad to hear you're feeling better dude.

• Like 2