Torque - what actually is it

ioneabee

what is it - its an android app

what does it do - it allows you to read the fault codes on an engine

what does it mean - you can check your own codes

what does it feel like - in comparison to :shrug: in comparison to apples offering it feels great as it costs almost nothing

if your refering to the torque an engine produces ....if i told you i'd have to kill you

Well HP is power measured against Pit ponies (useless trivia)

Torque is the force that those ponies (see what I did there?) are applied with so torque is good :thumbs:

The Zed having bags of torque means that it can apply lots of force to the back wheels at just about any speed in any gear so it will get up and go when you want it to, if we compare it to something that only produces torque at high revs or when the turbo spools up then although they may have more HP and prolly more torque they can't use it and have to stay on the revs to be "fast". You in your Zed can use the HUGE torque it produces at any point so you don't have to be on the revs.

Dunno if that in any way helps? :shrug:

torque is an engines ability to turn. you can have lots of torque and a slow speed, you can have a high speed and low torque. but part of that comes down to gearing as well.

if you've ever driven a diesel you'll know that you can pull away in first without using the accelerator and just lift the clutch. as the engine has enough torque to continue its turning without adding more power. do the same in a normal petrol and the engie would stall.

example of low speed high torque would be a tractor pulling a trailor with very little throttle it can move 15 ton. same principle as above if you tried to do the same manouver with the same throttle responce you'd stall.

as your aware in a zed torque is the ability to pull away without having to drop a gear to gain the power to turn the engine.

• Like 1

I drove a Nissan Leaf the other day, stunning torque levels for the size/type of car. No gears, no revving up, right foot down, electric motor just has max torque available at all times (up to about 40!). Blows most things from standing. If I had a second practical car for town, it would be a leaf. You can set the heater to want it up for you in the morning before you get in, this is important if your commute is 10 minutes long!

Once they sort batteries, there will be some ludicrous performance electric cars.

The zed will drive itself along happily in traffic without me pressing any pedals as there's enough power from the engine to pull the car.

If i drive the mrs' Fiesta, it will stall as soon as i get below 2mph and im not pressing the pedals as the engine isnt strong enough to pull it.

I look at torque as the force that gets you up and going (say from a standstill) up to a certain RPM and then ponies take over and do their thing to about redline or wherever max HP is produced.

Correct me if I'm wrong :)

Dear Andrew,

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.

Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.

Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

yea - finally, an answer i understand :p :p

Dear Andrew,

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.

Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.

Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

yea - finally, an answer i understand :p :p

I like to keep things simple....

just like you...

:winkiss:

put your hand on an axle. then try to twist it. the twisting force is torque - the force providing rotational accelleration.

Now as you get the axle spinning you would have to twist it with the same amount of force as you did in the first place (from rest) to produce a flat torque line on a revs / torque graph

The measurement of this twisting force (torque) multiplied by the rotational velocity (revs, but not measured in rpm) is power.

So if you provide the same torque as the revs climb then you get a steady increase in power. that reads about as clear as mud but i hope you undeerstand me.

After that lesson, see if you can understand this:

DYNO-RC8.jpg

you see the relatively flat torque line provides a constant rate of power increase as the revs climb

Edited by CrumbMC