How to - boot pop fix

offshore-drifter

Mods... Could you make this a sticky please?? :D

Well... Now i can tell you for a FACT!!! This worked!! Took me litterally 2 minutes!

Pull the rubber trim off to give access to the rear plastic trim, pull the bottom of the trim outwards and carefully pull upwards and remove! Dont pull out too far though as theres an interior light on that pannel..

Once you have done that you will be at the latch!

Loosen the 2 X 12mm nuts and move the latch down as far as it will go... Tighten up, put the trim back and test :D

That will be a tenner please :D

And the next person to waste money on new springs will get a slap!!! Haha

Lol.... I will do when the weather dries up, that's no problem!

I am crap with taking pics! The amount of how-to guides I could have done if I took more pics is un-unbelievable!

I will give my car a quick clean when it's dry and update my 1st post with pics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Had to LOL at this. Just went out there and thought "Here we go, another quick fix il mess up" resulting in alot of swearing and broken plastic. But guess what... NO! it worked a treat. Abit too easy as I got myself in the mood so now im looking for more things to fiddle with :) Thanks alot

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I had a go at fixing my boot pop today.

First changed the struts as the old ones tried to kill me this winter - no change to boot pop.

Then followed this guide and moved the latch all the way down (moved about 2mm maybe) - again didn't fix the boot pop.

Okay, time to remove the boot weight, after 15 mins of fighting with the plastic clips that hold the whole panel I managed to remove it without marking the edges too much by using some plastic bike tyre levers and a little plastic wedge/gap opener that I got with a phone mount.

Guess what ... still didn't fix the bloody boot pop.

Penny trick - last resort, I wanted to avoid it after reading that it can cause the lid to bend, crack the paint, etc.

I've put a single penny under each boot spring but to make sure they don't wear through the rubber tube I've cut a "gasket" from a foam padded double sided 1mm thick tape (like the ones you use for fixing a reg plate to a bumper) and stuck that onto a penny.

Made them slightly larger than the penny itself so that it covers the edges and pushed it into the rubber spring cover.

Put the stops back together and voila - it did the trick, I can open the boot with one hand finally.

Such a small thing but it did get on my nerves so I'm happy it's finally sorted. :)

Edited by Adrian_CNC

• 3 weeks later...