Mobile phone upgrade time

14N

Well my iphone 4s is up for upgrade in a few months, wont go iphone 5, in fact quite likely to just stick with my iphone 4s until something absolutely worthwhile comes out. Absolutely nothing wrong with the 4s, decent build (1 year old tossing it about the living room most of the time), whizzes along nicely, makes calls (yes I still need that function more than most others!) decent keyboard etc.

Woudl I move to an S4 for the attention grabbing headlines i.e. eye tracking - of course not. Its an innovation yes, do I really NEED IT, nope. in fact being a market researcher, the eye tracking is something I am excited about more in a sense of getting my surveys done via eye movement than answering traditional questions :)

Just my opinion, but big phones look daft.

I've never had an apple............never would have one! They are just a great advertising machine that has convinced people to buy one.

Android all the way for me. Plenty of music apps out there and easy to convert your itunes music to mp3. I have a Galaxy S3 and nexus tablet at the moment, love them both. As for music, I have a small but stylish phone dock and bluetooth speakers fo playing music, works brilliantly, and I'll be upgrading my bose sterio in the zed to play my music via bluetooth.

So easy to get music for free on the android......I can't think of one good reason to have a Iphone/Ipad/ipod!

I don't think Apple is missing your business, its quite funny how most people these days link Apple with iPhone/iPods, when actually Apple as a company has spent most of their existence making COMPUTERS....

My dad had a Mac Plus back in the 1980s (it had a 4MB ram upgrade so it meant you could run programs off a RAM disk...essentially like a SSD which is now all the rage, but this was back in 1980's, and because of the MacOS is so easy to use a 9 year old could set it up B) ). He also bought the original iMac (1998), it came without a floppy disc drive, and had a new fangled thing called a USB port....who would thought that would catch on :wacko:.

Personally I liked it when Apple wasn't popular and was seen as the alternative choice, these days everyone seem to have an Apple phone/laptop. The computer that I do most of my work stuff on is a MacPro from 2006!! I've just managed to get the latest version MacOS 10.8 installed on it, and it runs great (PhotoShop, Office, Flash, and the occasional StarCraft 2 session). I bet there's not many PCs around from 2006 running the most up-to-date version of windows :p.

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

The s3 was way too big, if the s4 is bigger then it's no longer a phone, more like carrying an iPad around with you.

Apparently the s4 is actually smaller than the s3 even though it has a bigger screen. So its looking like they are settling on that sort of size as being the optimum size for a phone.

Have to say I was very sceptical about the s3 being "too big" when i first saw one and handled it. However, buying one for work, and using it every day I find its not too big at all. It fits easily into my jeans front pockets and because its so slim and light you forget its there. Handling & using it isnt a problem and the colours & clarity of the screen is just incredible compared to other phones ive used.

I've never had an apple............never would have one! They are just a great advertising machine that has convinced people to buy one.

Android all the way for me. Plenty of music apps out there and easy to convert your itunes music to mp3. I have a Galaxy S3 and nexus tablet at the moment, love them both. As for music, I have a small but stylish phone dock and bluetooth speakers fo playing music, works brilliantly, and I'll be upgrading my bose sterio in the zed to play my music via bluetooth.

So easy to get music for free on the android......I can't think of one good reason to have a Iphone/Ipad/ipod!

I don't think Apple is missing your business, its quite funny how most people these days link Apple with iPhone/iPods, when actually Apple as a company has spent most of their existence making COMPUTERS....

My dad had a Mac Plus back in the 1980s (it had a 4MB ram upgrade so it meant you could run programs off a RAM disk...essentially like a SSD which is now all the rage, but this was back in 1980's, and because of the MacOS is so easy to use a 9 year old could set it up B) ). He also bought the original iMac (1998), it came without a floppy disc drive, and had a new fangled thing called a USB port....who would thought that would catch on :wacko:.

Personally I liked it when Apple wasn't popular and was seen as the alternative choice, these days everyone seem to have an Apple phone/laptop. The computer that I do most of my work stuff on is a MacPro from 2006!! I've just managed to get the latest version MacOS 10.8 installed on it, and it runs great (PhotoShop, Office, Flash, and the occasional StarCraft 2 session). I bet there's not many PCs around from 2006 running the most up-to-date version of windows :p.

I have a 5 year old macbook pro, still flies along, my parents who only use PCs for internet, email and a bit of accounting are onto their second PC and even that is falling over a bit now. Have to say as a functional workstation the macs are more expensive but they are decent machines. And as you said, I bought the computer and based on that bought the phone, I guess it would be the other way around for most people now...

my parents who only use PCs for internet, email and a bit of accounting are onto their second PC and even that is falling over a bit now.

Something strange there then, as no reason why a computer would slow down as the hardware doesnt change inside. If the pc was originally fast then it should still be fast unless they have installed programs etc

What usually happens is that because apple computers are still quite a minority compared to windows pc`s, malware and stuff tends to get onto windows computers easier - as a lot of users click on everything and get all sorts of stuff installed. I know as I fix no end of them for friends / family.

Which is where apple stuff is better as virus / malware writers cant be bothered to write stuff for them and iphones etc... are so locked down you cant install stuff you want to yourself, let alone install rogue software. Its ideal for parents who you dont want to mess things up, and one reason why loads and loads of businesses are rolling out ipads. Not only does apple nearly give them away, but the business can lock it down so tight that employees cant install their own stuff and mess it all up.

Yeah they have installed a few bits of software on the PCs, being in their mid 60s I would like to think they are not visiting 'dodgy sites' :lol: where they might easily pick up viruses. They have Norton installed, but for some reason it is slow as hell. I imagine its also maintenance as well, installs on PCs scatter files all over the shop, on my Mac as far as I can tell it sits in a nice package and is easily managed. I have a 360gb hard drive, have loads of stuff installed, still have 200gb free :thumbs:

They have Norton installed,

And theres your problem. Norton is well known for killing computers. Even a top spec one will run like a dead dog after putting that on. Id uninstall that and just use windows security essentials or something like that. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Ive got the s3, great bit of kit. I changed my ipad to the samsung galaxy tablet and hated it. Ended up buying another ipad. Moral of the story is, try it out first, because you like one apple/samsung device dosent mean you'll like another!

I have just got the Sony Xperia Z and I have to say (never having owned a sony before) its an amazing bit of kit, Fast, simple, does everything i need it too and its waterproof to boot. Its a little on the large size but no more so than the new htc one or galaxy s4

I have just got the Sony Xperia Z and I have to say (never having owned a sony before) its an amazing bit of kit, Fast, simple, does everything i need it too and its waterproof to boot. Its a little on the large size but no more so than the new htc one or galaxy s4

They look really nice, always been impressed with Sony gear, from my MiniDisc player back in the day to my PS3, always stand up to extreme heavy use and look great.

They look really nice, always been impressed with Sony gear, from my MiniDisc player back in the day to my PS3, always stand up to extreme heavy use and look great.

Totally agree so far, iv had it in the shower with me and i work in a dusty environment. So far so good and people comment on it all the time and say how they wish they had gone for one when their upgrade was due.

They have Norton installed,

And theres your problem. Norton is well known for killing computers. Even a top spec one will run like a dead dog after putting that on. Id uninstall that and just use windows security essentials or something like that. :thumbs:

Cheers mate will pass that on to them.