Mobile phone upgrade time

14N

If it helps ....I've got an S3 and an iphone 5, i find theres things on each that the other doesn't have (that's why i've got both, couldn't decide which one to sell lol). I was thinking of getting an S4 but rumour has it that it's going to be even bigger than the S3 and i don't want anything bigger! The S4 comes out this Thursday so i will have a look at it to see if i like it.

Anyone waiting for the HTC One - it's going to be delayed by several weeks as they have had problems, so i'm told in all the phone shops

Guys, thank you again so much for your comments, definitely given me lots to think about, but also armed me with more info than I had when I first asked the question.

One thing that a couple of you have mentioned I now know I do want.....

Where can I pick up an iWhore? Are you tied to a contract or are they Pay As You Go? :)

Guys, thank you again so much for your comments, definitely given me lots to think about, but also armed me with more info than I had when I first asked the question.

One thing that a couple of you have mentioned I now know I do want.....

Where can I pick up an iWhore? Are you tied to a contract or are they Pay As You Go? :)

:lol:

I'd like to know that too!

I own a iPhone 5, iPad, iPod and an iMac, so I'm not unbiased here. I like the fact that they all get on with one another very easily and I think the build quality of apple phones is superior. I prefer metal and glass, to plastic. However, I'm not one of these lunatics who thinks apple is perfect. The Nexus 4 is extremely impressive, I'd go for that if I ever changed teams. I'm sure the S4 will be great too, I've not heard many people complain about the top Samsungs. However, as an iPad owner I don't need/want a phone which is the size of a 7" tablet.

Rumours round the camp fire is apple have brought forward their next release due to the impending S4 launch and that google have a successor to the Nexus 4 in the pipeline. I don't usually advocate waiting, as there's always something new just around the corner, but if I was looking now with no prejudice against any manufacturer, I'd be tempted to hang on for a month or two. Then go SIM only and probably GIF GAF up or the One Plan on 3.

Curve ball. Some of the new top-end Nokias look quite interesting, very different to the rest. Shame it is dirty Windowz on them, Metro makes me nauseous.

Edited by SuperStu

That's a big phone. That said, I felt the iPhone 5 was too big at first but I'm comfortable using it now.

Until they sort the input lag out though, it's nothing I'd ever consider. A knowledgeable mate of mine explained to me why Android devices appear to have this issue in laymans terms for me:

The reason Android is "laggy" is because all the UI processing (animations/transitions/etc) is rendered on the main system thread. The upside of this is that in theory there should be slightly more processing grunt available to the currently active app as anything the app needs takes priority over UI rendering.

The reason iOS and Windows Phone/Windows RT manage to stay fluid whilst doing tasks is that their UI rendering is processed in a separate worker thread. In iOS that separate thread is reserved for all Core Animation graphics rendering (which includes the UI). This means the currently active app can carry on with its work whilst also allowing the UI to feel smooth but the downside of that is the processing power is now divided. In reality, today's modern ARM processors can handle multiple threads quite comfortably so you might as well design your OS with separate threads for different tasks.

As of Android 4.1 (AKA Jelly Bean), Google has implemented UI rendering in a separate thread (internally they called this Project Butter) so Android should not suffer from UI lag. As OEM's like Samsung and HTC put their own "launcher" over the top of stock Android this can still cause lag as it's up to those OEM's to make their launchers multi-threaded. Nexus devices should be buttery smooth running Jelly Bean or later.

Makes sense now, and I would like to give a Nexus 4 a go.

• Like 1

I've never had an apple............never would have one! They are just a great advertising machine that has convinced people to buy one.

Android all the way for me. Plenty of music apps out there and easy to convert your itunes music to mp3. I have a Galaxy S3 and nexus tablet at the moment, love them both. As for music, I have a small but stylish phone dock and bluetooth speakers fo playing music, works brilliantly, and I'll be upgrading my bose sterio in the zed to play my music via bluetooth.

So easy to get music for free on the android......I can't think of one good reason to have a Iphone/Ipad/ipod!

I've never had an apple............never would have one! They are just a great advertising machine that has convinced people to buy one.

Android all the way for me. Plenty of music apps out there and easy to convert your itunes music to mp3. I have a Galaxy S3 and nexus tablet at the moment, love them both. As for music, I have a small but stylish phone dock and bluetooth speakers fo playing music, works brilliantly, and I'll be upgrading my bose sterio in the zed to play my music via bluetooth.

So easy to get music for free on the android......I can't think of one good reason to have a Iphone/Ipad/ipod!

If you've never had one then its a stupid comment to make and do you really think people would keep buying Apple products if they were no good!? Bit like saying BMW cars aren't any good, its just clever advertising :wacko:

I know we're all entitled to opinions and I am a biased apple user, but I take exception to the simple it's all in the marketing dismissive. Check Samsungs latest smartphone marketing budget against apple's, bare in mind Samsung is just one android phone manufacturer and doesn't include marketting spends by HTC, Google, et al. All in their marketing budgets swamp apples spend on adverts.

I've been with apple since the 90s, before it was for geek hipsters to jizz off over, they've made consistently quality products for years and years. Just cos everyone is on the apple band wagon right now, doesn't change the quality of what they have done, and continue to do. You can see from my previous that ill happily state there are other good phone manufacturers.

^^^ Exactly what I was going to say.

Much like cars, there are no truly awful phones out there anymore, it just depends on what you prefer. As I've said before, Apple have never had the best hardware: What they have had is the best OS and the best design, and that's what you buy one for.

Ironically, given how everyone is buying Android these days, it's become more fashionable to own one of those so people are just buying them because the hardware is more powerful, not because the phone is actually any better suited to their needs. Now who's jumping on the bandwagon? ;)

• Like 1

I don't have an iPhone because of any other reason than it works better than any other phone available I have android devices and have used android phones and while I admit they are better in some aspects, overall there is something lacking unfortunately.

I thought the iPhone5 was too big but as Ekona says you soon get used to it but anything bigger would seriously look stupid :surrender: