Our Next Track Car

HaydnH

Hi All,

We've just sold* our old MR2 Turbo that we used for track days and are looking for alternatives. Budget of £7k - please come up with some ideas!

I like the idea of a TVR Chimaera personally, 4L V8 or aural pleasure! (Yes that's spealt with an AU, you've got to be so careful on this forum!). However, at the lower end of the market it may be hard to find a reliable one.

Haydn.

*Thanks to Tim@Envy for polishing it a while ago ready for the sale.

• Like 1

TVR at any end of the market will be hard to find a reliable car.. track day only... if i could fit in one i would be considering a caterham?

Hmmm just looked and they may be a little over budget...

Edited by SteveM

Hi All,

We've just sold* our old MR2 Turbo that we used for track days and are looking for alternatives. Budget of £7k - please come up with some ideas!

I like the idea of a TVR Chimaera personally, 4L V8 or aural pleasure! (Yes that's spealt with an AU, you've got to be so careful on this forum!). However, at the lower end of the market it may be hard to find a reliable one.

Haydn.

*Thanks to Tim@Envy for polishing it a while ago ready for the sale.

What made you sell the MR2? If you put up what you didn't like about it we could help avoid those bits!

For 7k you can get a lot. Are you wanting a blank canvass or something setup for the track already?

For example you could get something old:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1995-Nissan-Skyline-R33-GTR-V-Spec-/230929468115?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item35c4780ad3

or something new:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-HONDA-S2000-BLUE-/140927144284?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item20cfe9915c

or something crazy:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-WESTFIELD-/121075210201?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1c30a517d9

:)

I wouldn't use any TVR as a regular track car. They're second only to Nobles at being parked up in the pits after the first session! Given you'd have to quieten down the TVR as well for track days, it would seem a bit pointless.

E36 M3 would be a goer at that price, or an S2K. You're getting close to Caterham money there too. RX-8 is a great chassis to play with, or if you want turbo nutter barge fun there's Imprezas and Evos galore for £7K. Early Boxster too would probably be the pick of the bunch.

What made you sell the MR2? If you put up what you didn't like about it we could help avoid those bits!

Actually we loved it, fun to drive due to it being MR and pretty nippy, it's just time for a change.

Some good suggestions:

- a R33 is certainly an option we'd been looking at.

- M3 is certainly an option.

- My dad was looking at a nice impreza, personally I think AWD will be a bit boring after a MR car. Same with an Evo.

- A porsche boxter could be an idea, bit slow though aren't they?

Not at all, very rewarding to drive as well if you like MR stuff. If you want batsh*t mental then a turbo nutter barge is the way forward. I don't know if AWD is dull on track, am doing Spa on the 23rd in the Impreza so I'll let you know after that.

Actually we loved it, fun to drive due to it being MR and pretty nippy, it's just time for a change.

Some good suggestions:

- a R33 is certainly an option we'd been looking at.

- M3 is certainly an option.

- My dad was looking at a nice impreza, personally I think AWD will be a bit boring after a MR car. Same with an Evo.

Boxter 3.2s 0 - 62 mph 5.9 seconds Top speed 162 mph Cylinders 6 Valves 24 v Engine power 252 bhp Engine torque

225 lbs/ft

BMW M3 E46 0 - 62 mph 5.2 seconds Top speed 155 mph Cylinders 6 Valves 24 v Engine power 343 bhp Engine torque 269 lbs/ft

£6K E46 M3, and it is as mint as he says, promise: http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?545263-E46-51-Plate-BMW-M3-Mint-Condition-£6-000

Id be looking for something a bit more exciting though, not a TVR as its a disaster waiting to happen. Boxsters are good fun but upgrades and mods are going to be expensive, Evos are good fun on track so I guess prezas will be too.

Got to go jap though really, how about a FD RX7, sorted 200SX/Skyline or even a boosted MX5 - all are excellent fun and fairly cheap to upgrade :thumbs:

I would go for the e36 M3 evo 3.2 all day long.

Get a cheap car and spend the rest on full strip, roll cage, seats, engine refresh. standard brakes upgrades, polybushing, chassis strengthening etc

Cheap to run as track car as parts not very pricey.

0-60 5.3s 321 bhp 258llft standard weight 1.4tons

Does the VX220 have an adjustable steering column? Unfortunately I can't fit in an Elise, well, I can get in but the steering wheel sits on my legs so I guess I could probably do drag racing in it... my Dad's 6'3" and big.. ;)