new owner of a cat d repairable 350z advice sought

Hi to everyone, started buying and selling cars 3 months ago as a project with my son and our £400 has turned into £3.8k with 14 sales behind us, we have had mostly bmw and mercs, however last week we decided we wanted a 350z for lots of reasons, obviously we could not afford one until i noticed this cat d 350z 2005 90k with what looks like not so bad rear damage. Decided to bid for it and won. I want to fix this car and keep it for myself but only have a budget left of £400 left for it. Im thinking the rear bumper can be repaired? Or just buy a used one.

Possible repair the existing bumper using a heat gun and epoxy on crack and then bang the boot damage out and refit, there is a slight buckle to the quater panel, not sure on how to tackle this?

The car will come monday on a transporter "i have not seen it but did have it looked at and it starts drives and the engine is running smooth apparently".

Please see pics below and let me have your views on repairing this car, not why did you buy it.

I had the 300zx twin turbo in my youth a 2 yr old uk spec in mint condition and this was one amazing car.

Perhaps you owned this car or know of it, its coming down from scotland... thx for any positive input.

post-18709-0-57216100-1362223183_thumb.png

post-18709-0-27079400-1362223213_thumb.png

post-18709-0-41295000-1362223246_thumb.png

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your project.

Unfortunately as you will soon find out it will cost more than your £400.00 budget to fix this car properly.

I will have all the parts and panels in stock that you will require and once you have compiled a list of parts needed then just drop me a pm if you think that I can help you further.

Alex. :)

• Like 1

Rear quarter will need pulling out, filling and respray the entire panel upto a shut line - my understanding is that this is the trickiest panel to repair.

Bumper - fecked. Sling and get a new one and account for paint if not the same colour.

That looks like its had a tidy whack.......I'd be worried about the exhaust and boot floor as well.

Given that the cars on 90k do you know what sort of condition and history its in apart from the shunt? The 350 clutch doesn't last for ever and its always a key point to check as it'll run you about 800 quid to replace - many see over 90k but I guess it depends how long you want to keep the car.

£3400 - on a Cat D, 2005 plate with 90k - subject to being tidy and service history your perhaps looking at a 4.5k car so you might just break clean with the work required but I wouldn't expect to see a profit.

Angel of Doom out!

:welcome:

I agree, wont be much left in the pot when sold...I agree with Ricey, 2005 Cat C

well repaired with history and repair photos. between £4.5k to £4.75k maybe squeeze £5 if perfect and a GT model.

Good Luck, and welcome to the Forum. :thumbs::welcome:

Surely if the OP is keeping I'd for himself, resale value is not too important.

As said there is virtually always hidden damage so I'd think £400 will be very very lucky.

Hope it goes well.

Aye but its implied that they're looking to build a bit of a buy and flip empire so likelihood (unless I'm reading it wrong) is to repair, enjoy in short term, flip for profit and get the next one.

The problem is if this car is "bodged" for £400, it could be worth less than they paid for it.

Zed buyers know their cars, and will only buy, if the car and the price is right.

They may be able to turn it around to a mug who does not know Zeds. :thumbs:

The problem is if this car is "bodged" for £400, it could be worth less than they paid for it.

Zed buyers know their cars, and will only buy, if the car and the price is right.

I'm not so sure that will be the issue on this one - this isn't about knowing a Zed........duff cat D repair is a duff cat D repair regardless of the car. Someone knowing their Zeds will only identify more problems.

Giving the benefit of the doubt he's probably not knowingly intending to bodge (hence asking the question) but is instead trying to stick to a budget so more cash isn't sunk in. Bottom line.........more cash will be required!

• Like 1

I'm not so sure that will be the issue on this one - this isn't about knowing a Zed........duff cat D repair is a duff cat D repair regardless of the car. Someone knowing their Zeds will only identify more problems.

Giving the benefit of the doubt he's probably not knowingly intending to bodge (hence asking the question) but is instead trying to stick to a budget so more cash isn't sunk in. Bottom line.........more cash will be required!

Could be Trade Link's Scotish office..!!

• Like 1

Nah he's been far too polite!

• Like 1

Nah he's been far too polite!

So far... :evil: :evil:

Thx for your welcome and honest opinions, it's good to hear genuine thoughts. I am going to have wait until it arrives, slightly nervous aout the exhaust being damaged now.there is pics of the inner boot panels and it shows an interior corner pushed in. Obviously £400 is not going far unless I am a genius.I am in Essex and just wondering who else is out this way, what's the trade link thing all about, pm me as I would like to know.

when I get delivery I'll update the good the bad and the ugly, as the saying goes you only get what you pay so I am not expecting an easy ride with this.

:welcome: to the forum

You'll find everything you need in the traders section and plenty advice available. As has already been said the rear quarter is especially difficult area - just fill it and spray = rear bumper will probably take the majority of your £400 budget straight off -but if you're in no rush bound to be bargains to be had - good luck :thumbs:

Sounds reassuring, I am actually looking forward to have a go at the repairs as it will teach my son and I how to go about getting it done, with all the tech guys help and advice on here I'm convinced we shall get it finished and then come to a 350 meet over Essex way, if there is one.

• Like 1

Sounds reassuring, I am actually looking forward to have a go at the repairs as it will teach my son and I how to go about getting it done, with all the tech guys help and advice on here I'm convinced we shall get it finished and then come to a 350 meet over Essex way, if there is one.

You'll be ok if you get your finger out :teeth:

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/67471-meet-saturday-9th-march-2013/