Itching to buy a Z.. Newb (to Zs) needs some advice :) I think I found one I like!

GTuned

Hi guys,

Just signed up to the forum! I am new to owning Zs, where I used to live, import taxes were based on engine size and made it impossible to justify getting one.. I am in the process of moving to the UK however, so now's the chance! I've owned, probably more than 10 Nissans (Mostly R33 Skylines of all types and Silvias) in the past decade or so and a bunch of other cars (some sexy, some boring), so definitely not new to cars :)

I just found this car, and need some help:

http://www.pistonhea...300-2dr/1068368

xx03soz_3.jpg

xx03soz_4.jpg

[a] From research it looks like the Nismo bits were a factory option or at least dealer fitted.. I would like someone to confirm that please? Insurance where I will be staying is ridiculous enough without "mods" to the car :(

How can I tell if it has an HR or DE engine? The reason I ask is that the dealer doesn't describe the car very well, and, well sometimes dealers will say anything in a description... Including "6 spoke wheels" when, clearly, they're not!

[c] It has "Cloth seats" in the description, although the photo looks like leather seats.. were cloth seats even an option?

xx03soz_6.jpg

[d] Can you tell what other options this car came with from the tiny photo above? How can I tell if it has the BOSE sound system, or does it even matter?

[e] The car is in Northern Ireland, what's the best way to get it to London if I buy it? Sorry, am new to the UK!

[f] Price.. what do you guys think?

Anything else I should look out for?

Thanks a million guys, and hope to join in some Z fun soon!

GTuned

Edited by GTuned

Yep, factory fitted Nismo kit by the look of it

Will be a HR engine due to being a 2007 model, all Zed's 2007 onwards have the HR

Cloth seats came with the non-GT spec cars, or imports

Has Bose stereo and Satnav fitted as standard

I'd go over to Ireland to see it, and drive it back to mainland UK on the ferry

Price seems reasonable

A. Correct.

B. It's a Rev-up DE. Flat bonnet so not an HR, revised interior so '06 on 'Rev-up'.

C.Base model had cloth seats, that one is a GT, i.e. Heated/electric leather seats, Bose stereo, Cruise control (righthand switches on steering wheel).

D. Apart from the Nismo bits and GT spec which includes the Bose upgrade, it has Satnav and rear parking sensors as options.

E. Sorry, don't know.

F. Ditto.

And welcome!

Most likely Factory fitted, but they can be retro fitted and replicas are fairly common. Watshot has nailed the other questions apart from shipping and price. There's a frequent ferry service to Belfast from Liverpool and I'd stick the car on there then drive it home if it was me. Price, hmm, If it's a genuine Nismo kit and it does like it has decent tyres and a recent service then maybe 10-10.5k .

Welcome alang BTW.

Pete

Most likely Factory fitted, but they can be retro fitted and replicas are fairly common. Watshot has nailed the other questions apart from shipping and price. There's a frequent ferry service to Belfast from Liverpool and I'd stick the car on there then drive it home if it was me. Price, hmm, If it's a genuine Nismo kit and it does like it has decent tyres and a recent service then maybe 10-10.5k .

Welcome alang BTW.

Pete

Thanks!

To clarify: HR's from late '07 only. No bonnet bulge and redlines at 7K, HR redlines at 7.5K. (See the pic of the rev counter).

When I was playing around with the insurance figures earlier today and I typed in the registration plate of the car, it came up as a 2007, so that clarifies it..

So the natural question, which probably starts a major discussion every time somone asks it.. is it worth the difference to get the HR? Is the 2006 oil "issue" real or a forum myth?

I love modifying my cars but, in the UK, it looks like most insurance companies will drop me in a heartbeat at the first mod..

Also has LMGT4 wheels, an expensive option.

Pete

I have to say, I love those wheels, it's 90% the reason I like this specific car.. the other 10 percent is the low mileage and the black interior!

Edited by GTuned

To clarify: HR's from late '07 only. No bonnet bulge and redlines at 7K, HR redlines at 7.5K. (See the pic of the rev counter).

Yes, While you can fit a bulge bonnet on any Zed you can't fit a flat bonnet onto an HR.

Pete

So the natural question, which probably starts a major discussion every time somone asks it.. is it worth the difference to get the HR? Is the 2006 oil "issue" real or a forum myth?

Not really that much difference in everyday driving really, it's only at the top end you notice the extra bhp. The 2006 oil issue has hit American cars much harder than it has here. This may be in part down to the fact that their equivalent of our 99 RON fuel is quite difficult to find in some parts of The States, especially the mountain states in the west. Over there I've heard of Zeds running 100% of the time on 95 and even 91 RON.

Also, nice registration number but the plate itself may well be illegal in mainland U.K.

Pete

Edited by JetSet

Not really that much difference in everyday driving really, it's only at the top end you notice the extra bhp. The 2006 oil issue has hit American cars much harder than it has here. This may be in part down to the fact that their equivalent of our 99 RON fuel is quite difficult to find in some parts of The States, especially the mountain states in the west. Over there I've heard of Zeds running 100% of the time on 95 and even 91 RON.

Also, nice registration number but the plate itself may well be illegal in mainland U.K.

Pete

I figured that 10-15 bhp don't make much of a difference, I guess I just care more about reliability.. I suppose the car can always be modded for a bhp jump.. speaking of which, am I assuming correctly that the DE is a more popular engine for mods? I also think I saw somehwere that the internals on the HR are better? Then again.. more than a 30% power bump and cars become unreliable/painful to drive daily..

So what's the oil issue exactly? Starvation/Burning/Leaking? And why just 2006 models.. is it the "Rev up" mods?

Edited by GTuned

Welcome alang BTW.

Pete

Thanks!

When I was playing around with the insurance figures earlier today and I typed in the registration plate of the car, it came up as a 2007, so that clarifies it..

I love modifying my cars but, in the UK, it looks like most insurance companies will drop me in a heartbeat at the first mod..

Also has LMGT4 wheels, an expensive option.

Pete

I have to say, I love those wheels, it's 90% the reason I like this specific car.. the other 10 percent is the low mileage and the black interior!

:thumbs: :welcome: Try Livingstones Warman for your insurance, they are a trader on here.
  • Like 1

:thumbs: :welcome: Try Livingstones Warman for your insurance, they are a trader on here.

Will do, good to know that we have support in this area too!

Nice car. Just drive it back to the UK on the ferry, (nice plate ) should be on UK plates.

Agree with all the above...check full service history..a bit overpriced, try for £10.250, but its from a dealer.. :thumbs:

Thanks! :) You bet, he's in for a negotiation session :teeth:

:wave:

Oh and the HR are 309 bhp not 313 bhp ;)

I suppose that's why places like Autotrader quote the 296 as 300's as well?

It's all about the conversion from PS or Pferdestärke (horse-strength in German) to BHP ...

1 BHP = 1.0139 PS = 745.7 KW