Pop charger and insurance.

14N

No, not another "Should I tell my insurance company" question :)

I'm getting a JWT pop charger next week and will naturally be telling my insurance about the mod.

What do you tell/how do you describe it to them? I imagine if I just say "I've fitted a JWT pop charger", it'll be me with a response along the lines of,

"Huh? A what?". :shrug:

Do you call it an aftermarket air filter and/or induction kit?

Cheers, Ian :thumbs:

Cheers guys. :thumbs:

I know each amendment to a policy normally carries an 'admin fee', so although the pop charger might not put my premium up, I'll probably still end up paying about £25 as FUG said.

I'm changing the wheels once the weather pics up a bit (and the salt/grit has gone), so looks like I'll hold fire on the filter and fit it at the same time as the wheels, to avoid paying an admin fee twice.

Just hope my will power is strong enough to stop me from fitting the pop charger before the wheels....

Elephant charged me £47 for a "non standard exhaust", air filter, spoiler, a carbon air duct in the front bumper, and any stickers I like over the entire car. I asked them why it was so cheap (I'm only 23 so was expecting to need Vaseline for modifications) and apparently, as not many people declare mods they keep the cost as low as possible to "reward" people for telling them.

Cost me £9 extra for exhaust and wheels, I near fell off the chair :lol:

:scare: Bargain!

Wait till you put the orange pin stripe round the wheels - you'll be looking at £100's in additional premium :lol:

• Like 1

I know!! Plus the orange bolts etc. I think I'll gather a few bits up then fit and insure them all at once. Can you imagine paying a £30 admin fee every few weeks for putting lock nuts on, wheel sticker, debadge, stubby aerial etc etc!

Oh oh, anyone know if they still charge admin fees for changes before the actual start date? Ie, my new policy begins on Saturday so maybe I could get a few things done and declared before that to save moneyz?

I know!! Plus the orange bolts etc. I think I'll gather a few bits up then fit and insure them all at once. Can you imagine paying a £30 admin fee every few weeks for putting lock nuts on, wheel sticker, debadge, stubby aerial etc etc!

Oh oh, anyone know if they still charge admin fees for changes before the actual start date? Ie, my new policy begins on Saturday so maybe I could get a few things done and declared before that to save moneyz?

If they've posted your documents you may be out of luck beccause if you change the policy they will have to send new docs out.

It may be easier to insure a load of performance parts and simply add one car.

Er, help please for knowledgeless noob.

I was told when I bought my new zed had a Scorpion exhaust fitted. I didn't give a second thought to it until I read this thread, just assumed it was like getting a Unipart instead of a genuine Nissan. Naturally I'll be calling my insurer shortly to advise, however what am I telling them? Is there just one Scorpion exhaust for a 2004 UK Zed, or does it have a special name?

Rifling thought the reciepts my seller handed over it simply says on the Larkspeed invoice:

SNS010 Scorpion Cat Back System Niss (£334)

*20002270 Cosworth Element Nissan 350z (£34)

On the deliver note from Scorpion it says:

SNS010 Nissan 350z 03-System

Any info would be great. Also any idea what the Cosworth Element is?

The £34 Cosworth part is almost certainly a panel filter...

Your insurer will just want to know it is a stainless steel cat back exhaust that adds nothing to the power of the car hopefully they won't pull your pants down and bend you over :lol:

Edited by spursmaddave

By telling them you have an aftermarket exhaust fitted, this should be fine. They may ask if it's a full system, which yours isn't, just cat back.

The Cosworth filter will be a panel filter in your standard airbox. Again an aftermarket non OEM part, but you need to tell the insurance company about it. It's a performance air filter.

By telling them you have an aftermarket exhaust fitted, this should be fine. They may ask if it's a full system, which yours isn't, just cat back.

The Cosworth filter will be a panel filter in your standard airbox. Again an aftermarket non OEM part, but you need to tell the insurance company about it. It's a performance air filter.

D'oh! Yeah and I have a Cosworth filter too :blush:

Super quick response, thank you all. The Cosworth is a stock replacement filter, did a quick look on the Larkspeed site and matched the number on the receipt to one they retail for the Zed. Is this also worth a mention on my call for the inevitable fisting by elephant?

http://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?a=i&p=1620002270&part=Nissan-350Z-Cosworth-Air-Filter

Gutted about the filter, was going to be my first performance mod :teeth:

Edit: you guys really are fast, by the time I'd written that you'd flooded me with answers! Thanks again, this forum truly is the best thing that ever happened to the Internet.

Edited by SuperStu