Boiler quotes!

Squee

ok, I know this is a car forum but I know there's a few plumbers gas engineers on here and I'd be massively grateful if anyone could say if this quote is decent or should we tell them to bounce?

Our current system is ancient and is primatic and we want to go to a combi and also move the current floor standing boiler to a wall mounted one on an exterior facing wall of the kitchen. We've had two quotes from the same guy, one for a Worcester 34CDi and one for a Ideal Logic35kw, the all in price for the Worcester boiler and fitting is £2400 and the price for the whole job with the IdealLogic boiler £2200. As mentioned the price is for the whole job so inc labour and testing. The price also includes thermostats but they've quoted for standard digital ones but we want wifi ones. Also Magaclean system cleanser is in the prices.

Massive thanks in advance,

S.

Worcester boiler would be my choice. Sounds a little pricey, but if there's a fair amount of pipework involved then that could be right. Personally I'd be looking at more like £1800 for the Worcester one assuming a top job.

Ask for a breakdown of the quote, see where the money is going.

cheers you lot, I appreciate it.

We're having the kitchen done at the same time, being fitted by a bloke who's done work for us before and is very good. The gas guy is the joiner's friend and whilst I know we're fully in our rights to get whoever we like to do the gas stuff it would keep it easy using the joiner's pal but equally I don't want to pay a mahoosive premium for it. The gas dude is fully registered and has done work for my parents and they've been very pleased with his work.

Worcester boiler would be my choice. Sounds a little pricey, but if there's a fair amount of pipework involved then that could be right. Personally I'd be looking at more like £1800 for the Worcester one assuming a top job.

Ask for a breakdown of the quote, see where the money is going.

my dad initially thought it would be in the region of £1300...my assumption that the quote is significantly higher is because we're swapping from primatic to combi which means removal of a big hot water tank in the loft :shrug:

I'm based in Chester by the way.

Cheers again,

S.

edit...the Worcester has 6 year guarantee and the cheaper one 5 years...but this would be the same with whoever installs it I presume? I don't know if we sourced the boiler ourselves and just paid labour whether we'd still get a guarantee?

Edited by Squee

Same with cars, not all that glitters is gold.. I've fitted both brands and had troubles with both.. I can't advise on which on to fit as I actually work for one of those two brands nowadays ;)

But pricing does vary according to where you are in the country, but I always told customers to get a quote from British Gash and then view that against my quotes.. Changing a primatic system over to a sealed system is not as straight forward as it seams and I would be very wary of any quotes I received that (a) didn't explain the rest of pressurising a old system (B) didn't say anything about dry pressure testing before final connections are made.. What was once a micro leak can very quickly turn into a ceiling down :(

As for the pricing a system upgrade is dependant on actually materials needed for job, obstacles, alteration but standard system to sealed was always between £1800-2200

Good luck, and make sure as said above. Installer comes recommended and registered with Gas Safe Register..

Places like trusted trader or your local council have installer schemes through trading standards.

Phil

Hi Squee,

I use a company called Hydro-Tech based just outside Mold. I'm friends with the owner, Julian, who really knows his stuff, so just mention that you know me if you ask for a quote and he might knock a bob or two off :) .

Pete

i had to pay £3500 this time last year for new combi boiler but i think that the pipework had to be modified too

It's very hard on a forum to say what's right,wrong price wise as you can't see a job in front of you. And all jobs are based on what's actually needed.. Like mechanics us plumbers have gotten a bad names over the last few years thanks to the shitty bastards appearing on designed for tv scam programmes.

I'm thinking about a new boiler soon. The gas engineer recommended the worchester as it comes with a full 5 years warrenty. So i can cancel my british gas service plan/ break down cover and the saving over the 5 years will pay for the boiler.

I will have to pay for the annual service though.

£1300?? are you taking the p#ss???

The boiler alone is over a grand,and yes that is trade price.

Add the flue,programmer, thermostats, Magnaclean,pipe and fittings,cleansing agent,corrosion inhibtor, oh and if it's all right with you lot some labour,you can see that £1300 or even £1800 is a joke.

I'd say to the OP that,that price is fair,especially for the Worcester which is the one I'd recommend.

Make sure a Powerflush is done before fitting the new boiler,which should be included in the price.

Shame I don't live near you.

Ricey and Ekona must have the same opinion as Stuarty,that tradesmen don't deserve to earn a living!

£1300?? are you taking the p#ss???

The boiler alone is over a grand,and yes that is trade price.

Add the flue,programmer, thermostats, Magnaclean,pipe and fittings,cleansing agent,corrosion inhibtor, oh and if it's all right with you lot some labour,you can see that £1300 or even £1800 is a joke.

I'd say to the OP that,that price is fair,especially for the Worcester which is the one I'd recommend.

Make sure a Powerflush is done before fitting the new boiler,which should be included in the price.

Shame I don't live near you.

Ricey and Ekona must have the same opinion as Stuarty,that tradesmen don't deserve to earn a living!

Aye, but there's making a living and making a killing, not the same thing. Also there's a big difference between fitting a boiler and firing down some flooring. Guy that fitted my last boiler got the stuff delivered to my house and i paid on arrival. Then he charged me £350 for fitting it. Took him 5 hours, do you think thats good value?

Hardly. I'm a plumber by trade myself.

Not all Worcester boilers are that expensive, and if you think they are then I'd suggest speaking to your merchant. ;)Even a quick google of retail prices reveals that you can get them significantly cheaper, although granted we have no idea exactly what model it is so either one of us could be nearer the mark.

Plummerman has it spot-on, some great advice. :thumbs:

Guy that fitted my last boiler got the stuff delivered to my house and i paid on arrival. Then he charged me £350 for fitting it. Took him 5 hours, do you think thats good value?

Yes. Again, you paid for a day's work and the knowledge, not the actual time spent doing the job. I really can't be bothered to go through all this again, though.

If he did a thorough job i.e. Powerflushed the system,commisioned the boiler properly,informed Gas Safe of the installation and he was indeed a Gas Safe Registered installer,then I'd say that wasn't over the top if thats what he had quoted,but then we are back to the "what if it had taken 10 hours to fit" question.

I assume that included vat? So 20% for the government.

Hardly. I'm a plumber by trade myself.

Not all Worcester boilers are that expensive, and if you think they are then I'd suggest speaking to your merchant. ;)Even a quick google of retail prices reveals that you can get them significantly cheaper, although granted we have no idea exactly what model it is so either one of us could be nearer the mark.

Plummerman has it spot-on, some great advice. :thumbs:

Guy that fitted my last boiler got the stuff delivered to my house and i paid on arrival. Then he charged me £350 for fitting it. Took him 5 hours, do you think thats good value?

Yes. Again, you paid for a day's work and the knowledge, not the actual time spent doing the job. I really can't be bothered to go through all this again, though.

Yeah i realise i paid for a days work, but i was simple asking if that was a good price, thats all.

The guy who fitted my boiler did so whilst he was in the transition of working for british gas and starting his own buisness. He did a flush of my system and everything was registered. The boiler he asked to be delivered from the merchant was out of stock, therefore they delivered the next size p for no extra cost and its never missed a beat in 10 years!