Tradesmen????

stuarty

http://www.350z-uk.c...-my-spare-time/

How can you fit 42 hours work into 48 hours?

Sorry i work 12 hours sat and sun but get paid 42 hours.

I get 50% between 8pm and 6 am and all day saturday and 100% all day sunday.

Yeah, I hate people who take stuff out of context too, so my apologies for that. Basically you're saying that it's perfectly okay for you to make 100% more than you normally would for working a weekend, but if anyone else does it then they're a crook? Nope, I'm not having that.

• Like 3

Yes. Please explain why.

Responsibility!

Fair enough.

So where do you stand on gas fitters? They have a responsibility too, as if they get it wrong they could kill far more in one go than the single person a surgeon could.

Everyone has there worth, I agree with that. Consultants deserve there pay, gas fitters probably deserve there pay as they have extra skills, responsibilities, qualifications etc. the same applies to structural engineers, pilots, etc. but for The joiner that did my laminate to charge what they did is wrong.

Rephrased that for you as once again your tarring us all with the same brush ;)

Fair point, sorry!

Yes. Please explain why.

Responsibility!

Fair enough.

So where do you stand on gas fitters? They have a responsibility too, as if they get it wrong they could kill far more in one go than the single person a surgeon could.

Everyone has there worth, I agree with that. Consultants deserve there pay, gas fitters probably deserve there pay as they have extra skills, responsibilities, qualifications etc. the same applies to structural engineers, pilots, etc. but for a joiner to charge what they do is wrong.

How would you know what a joiner charges, you paid someone who isn't a joiner £300 to lay some laminate in 7hrs

Just admit it this isn't a rant at tradesmen at all it is just you realising you are a tool and admitting it on here for us all to enjoy :snack:

• Like 1

I think the main point in this whole conversation is simply put to bed like this......................

Get a quote, if you don't like it don't employ that person, if you do like it then pay it and it doesn't matter how long the guy took because its a quotation.

If it took him 4 hours longer than he said, would you pay him 4 hours extra money? I think not !!!

Yes. Please explain why.

Responsibility!

Fair enough.

Everyone has there worth, I agree with that. Consultants deserve there pay, gas fitters probably deserve there pay as they have extra skills, responsibilities, qualifications etc. the same applies to structural engineers, pilots, etc. but for a joiner to charge what they do is wrong.

How would you know what a joiner charges, you paid someone who isn't a joiner £300 to lay some laminate in 7hrs

Just admit it this isn't a rant at tradesmen at all it is just you realising you are a tool and admitting it on here for us all to enjoy :snack:

Made my day :D:thumbs:

I think the main point in this whole conversation is simply put to bed like this......................

Get a quote, if you don't like it don't employ that person, if you do like it then pay it and it doesn't matter how long the guy took because its a quotation.

If it took him 4 hours longer than he said, would you pay him 4 hours extra money? I think not !!!

Exactly I worked as a painter decorater once and quoted a job to paint 2 coats of gloss the woman said it was too expensive so just do one coat which I did cutting the quote.... Then she said it looked crap and needed another coat but didn't see why she should pay for it..... thinking back must have been Stuarty's Mum :shrug:

Edited by spursmaddave
  • Like 2

Exactly I worked as a painter decorater once and quoted a job to paint 2 coats of gloss the woman said it was too expensive so just do one coat which I did cutting the quote.... Then she said it looked crap and needed another coat but didn't see why she should pay for it..... thinking back must have been Stuarty's Mum :shrug:

:notworthy:

• Like 1

Just for the record I do get paid shift allowances for weekend work etc, but its still no where near what I've been getting charged.

As I said earlier, I'm not trying to offend anyone, but I think it's wrong what I've been getting quoted and charged. It's only my opinion, you are perfectly entitled to disagree.

"thinking back must have been Stuarty's Mum"

:lol:Good one SMD Right, I'm off to watch Miranda. I don't suppose men like that programme but I can relate so much to her. I went out a couple of weeks ago for a meal with all the company directors and their wives and actually managed to come out of the loo with my dress tucked into, well, it doesn't really matter but suffice it to say that if it were not for one of the other company wives spotting my 'clothing malfunction' my face would have looked like this :blush:

Edited by twobears

Just for the record I do get paid shift allowances for weekend work etc, but its still no where near what I've been getting charged.

As I said earlier, I'm not trying to offend anyone, but I think it's wrong what I've been getting quoted and charged. It's only my opinion, you are perfectly entitled to disagree.

And you are perfectly entitled to shop around and not accept the first rediculous quote you get from someone not even qualified to do the job...

I am free next weekend to service your Zed, shall we say £800 it will probably take me at least a week...

Yes. Please explain why.

Responsibility!

Fair enough.

Wrong, I talking about all the tradesmen I've used recently.

:lol:Good one SMD Right, I'm off to watch Miranda. I don't suppose men like that programme but I can relate so much to her. I went out a couple of weeks ago for a meal with all the company directors and their wives and actually managed to come out of the loo with my dress tucked into, well, it doesn't really matter but suffice it to say that if it were not for one of the other company wives spotting my 'clothing malfunction' my face would have looked like this :blush:

I love Miranda :blush:

Also :worthless:

Edited by spursmaddave

If you think its wrong, don't accept the quote and tell the guy you think its too expensive. If not get over it............

Or learn to lay laminate, any idiot with half a brain can do it :stir:

and £300 for 7 hours suggests he has more brain than you think :lol:

• Like 1

Covered this earlier, yip I would pay him more.

You're not paying for the time, you're paying for the knowledge to do the job. Also there's nothing worse than people supplying their own kit, as not only do you lose your profit on the materials but also it tends to be any old crap and invariably bits missing which you then have to waste time with. They also have to pay for their own insurance which isn't cheap any more, plus all those lovely taxes that PAYE folks tend to forget that small businesses as well as Starbucks have to pay.

£300 to give up half of a weekend seems more than fair to me. I wouldn't do it for less than that, my free time is more important to me.

Can't be arsed reading 10 pages but ^^ this

Self employed also means 'does not know where the next job is coming from'. Therefore if your happy with the quote then what's the problem? Doesn't matter if the job takes 5 days or 5 mins .....if its dont right and that's what matters to you then smile and be happy.

Also totally agree with what Dan said.......I always buy utter shite from eBay and all sorts just to save 10 quid. Then I wonder why the bloody laminate won't fit together, the thread on the shitty tap strips, the crappy internals of something or another break after 5 mins and the light fittings stop working.

Admittedly I don't actually get a contractor to come and install any of this crap so it's probably actually my workmanship rather than the product but for the purposes of this conversation it's for the best that we blame the parts rather than the workman!

I love Miranda :blush:

Also :worthless:

Me too.

Couldn't fancy her though, to tall !!!! She would suit you Dave.. Although she would probably BOB you :lol: