Tradesmen????

stuarty

Where are you based, I'll send guys for £299 a day :lol:

http://www.350z-uk.c...424-zed-prices/

Similar situation to myself there mate, you don't like getting fleeced, so why is it acceptable for me. Why is it ok for you to lecture about your overheads etc, but when Nissan apply the same principle to you it's a rip off?

read my reply.... i got a quote and excepted it. yes its expensive but i needed to pay dealership rates to get a dealership stamp on a new vehicle. the difference is you can shop around, i couldn't

I did shop about, I got a few quotes, you could also have used an independent.

Point is you and the Nissan dealer has big overheads, but I deliberately avoided companies and still got shafted!

Stuarty, you say "I did shop about, I got a few quotes" you decided to employ him, he did a good job, how on earth does this constitute "SHAFTED"???

Shafted is when he says he needs £300 up front and you never see him again.

When you handed over the money did you says here's your money mate and thanks for shafting me?

Edited by leonk
  • Like 1

FFS you didn't get shafted! You got many quotes, they were all the same price, that is what is know as THE GOING RATE FOR THE WORK YOU REQUIRE IN YOUR AREA. It's not bleedin' rocket science, and even by your own admission you'd have been happy to pay £300 for the work just as long as he took two days to do it. That's utterly moronic, and there's no way in hell I believe you for one second when you say that you'd have paid him more if he'd have taken longer. No-one would. The price is the price. You may slip him and extra tenner, but you wouldn't give him another £150.

Next time, I suggest you just do it yourself if you don't like the price quoted. If you didn't like it, then more fool you for accepting it.

Stuarty, I remember you now! You posted last year that you only work Sat and Sun for he NHS but get paid the equivalent of 5 days Mon to Friday. http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/65741-what-to-do-with-all-my-spare-time/ "I'm now in the position where i have mon-fri free and i am bored out my nut!"

Might i suggest a basic joinery course!!

There are some that might say "Shafted" is what you will get when you come on here looking for sympathy.

Edited by leonk
  • Like 2

FFS you didn't get shafted! You got many quotes, they were all the same price, that is what is know as THE GOING RATE FOR THE WORK YOU REQUIRE IN YOUR AREA. It's not bleedin' rocket science, and even by your own admission you'd have been happy to pay £300 for the work just as long as he took two days to do it. That's utterly moronic, and there's no way in hell I believe you for one second when you say that you'd have paid him more if he'd have taken longer. No-one would. The price is the price. You may slip him and extra tenner, but you wouldn't give him another £150.

Next time, I suggest you just do it yourself if you don't like the price quoted. If you didn't like it, then more fool you for accepting it.

Opinions and comments are one thing, insults are another, watch your mouth dude!

• Like 1

Stuarty, I remember you now! You posted last year that you only work Sat and Sun for he NHS but get paid the equivalent of 5 days Mon to Friday. http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/65741-what-to-do-with-all-my-spare-time/ "I'm now in the position where i have mon-fri free and i am bored out my nut!"

Might i suggest a basic joinery course!!

There are some that might say "Shafted" is what you will get when you come on here looking for sympathy.

I've not hidden the fact I get shift allowance etc, but I still get nowhere near that amount for a days work.

What is it with tradesmen and what they try to charge?

I've been doing a lot of work in my home recently, therefore been using a lot of trades, joiners, plasterers, plumbers etc.

I always have all my own materials, so I'm only paying for labour. Also I try to give the work to local guys, so no real travelling for them and most of the time they have full time jobs and do my work at night or weekends.

Anyway I'm constantly getting quoted a weeks wage for a days work or like today a days pay for an hours work. I had a guy who isn't even a joiner lay some laminate flooring at the weekend he quoted me £300 for his labour, then he comes on Sunday and does it in 7 hours. Then today I got a neighbour, who cleans gutters etc to replace 3 joints on my guttering as they were leaking and he took 40 mins to do it and charged me £90.

When I pay them it's always cash in hand!

All I can say is that all the work I've been getting done is simply upgrades, I don't really need to get it done, but that's me finished giving tradesmen my hard earned cash. Any work that they get from me in the future will only be essential things and I'll be asking for receipts.

I hope this current recession lasts another 10 years and they all end up bust!

Rant over!

St**rty????

What is it with the Government and what they try to do with my money?

I've been doing a lot of work recently, therefore been giving the government lots of my hard earned money.

Also I try to give the work to local guys, so lots of travelling for them and most of the time they do my work at night or weekends.

Anyway I'm constantly getting tax demands. I had a guy who I'm not sure what he actually does, but charged me via the tax I pay for 5 days work, but only did two!

When I pay them it's always cash in hand! Tried to offer other payments, wife, kids etc but they always want cash. They even have the audacity to fine me if I'm late handing the cash over or even filling forms in!

All I can say is that all the work I've been getting done by the Government, is simply downgrades, I don't really need to get it done, but that's me finished giving them my hard earned cash. Any money that they get from me in the future will only be essential things and I'll be asking for benefits.

I am thinking that IF this current recession lasts another 10 years and then they will all end up bust!

Rant over!

Yet another run away topic on this forum!

I think the guy was genuinely just making one of those rant type posts like we have in conversations at the pub about things like "tradesmen, the government, tax's, price of petrol etc"

once again its turned into a mass lecture and got away from what its point was. I'm sure we are all fully aware of how things cost money and how much overheads are in whatever business we work.....

the dude was expressing an opinion, not a beleif, maybe we could accept that and cut him some slack!

Edited by MidnightRacer
  • Like 2