Tradesmen????

stuarty

Agreed every professional is plagued with updating qualifications,insurances etc.

And I also agree that £300 for a chippy is expensive (I dont charge anywhere near that).

What I was saying really is that we are not all out to rip people off.

I'm electrician / training to be an electrical engineer for the a family run contracting firm who do our work mainly within the distribution network. I hate doing foreniers for this whole reason. People expect a job done for a tenner an hour or sometimes even less than that. why should i? not only does a 2 hour job often mess up you whole day, but it often means I have to turn down plans for the night before or something for the whole weekend. Also for someone self employed, a small 2 hour job is a pain in the arse as it's likely you will not be able to fill the rest of your day. as someone else said they probably put in a high price hoping they would be turned down.

Also doing stuff for money with friends doesn't always go well, especially if one of them feels hard done by or doesn't pay for ages it can cause arguements.

Don't forget that charges also have to include paying for vehicles (associated tax, insurance, fuel), additional staff for admin and payroll, premesis, advertising, subscriptions to stuff like niceic, eca, and QA accreditation, training (which is just daft the amount of health and safety crap you must have these days), also in my firm we spend weeks putting in for jobs that we may not get - the cost of this time must be recovered. the list goes on and on. Don't forget they have to cover for the times when they have no work.

I would help out a mate if they were totally stuck but i would never do weekend work unless I was getting paid silly money for it.

If you think your being ripped off then go elsewhere. Nobody (except maybe my mother :bangin: ) would go with the first insurance company they got a quote off so why do it with tradesmen

Also comparing with site workers is not really applicable. I know a few site joiners who work on big sites and i wouldn't let them anywhere near my house. You often pay the extra cash to get the job right first time by someone who takes pride in their work.

Make sure you state how neat and well done everything must be done. If they don't work to the standard that you have stated then don't pay them until it's right. If you find a tradesman who does a crap job then charges a lot. make sure you tell everyone you know to stay away. it is those people who give everyone else a bad name and are the reason why every trader has to pay rip-off prices for liability insurance etc.

Edited by CrumbMC
  • Like 1

Im a carpenter/joiner and employ other tradesmen but unfortunately i don't live anywere near scotland but for that money would quite happily relocate :D Down in sunny devon the average price for a cash job is about £150 a day.

I would say though that sometimes you have to take the rough with the smooth, He could of just as easily had an absolute nightmare fitting your flooring and taken 3 days to fit it but i'm damn sure you wouldn't have offered him anymore money irrelevant of how good a job he'd done.

You win some you lose some ;)

Agreed every professional is plagued with updating qualifications,insurances etc.

And I also agree that £300 for a chippy is expensive (I dont charge anywhere near that).

What I was saying really is that we are not all out to rip people off.

Yeah mate I understand that, but when you are constantly getting quoted £300 a day and above for tradesmen to do work in your home, you start to question there integrity. Makes it worse that there a one man band.

I think they ave so little work that they need to charge what they do to survive, but folk soon catch on and then it's a vicious circle for them!

I'm electrician / training to be an electrical engineer for the a family run contracting firm who do our work mainly within the distribution network. I hate doing foreniers for this whole reason. People expect a job done for a tenner an hour or sometimes even less than that. why should i? not only does a 2 hour job often mess up you whole day, but it often means I have to turn down plans for the night before or something for the whole weekend. Also for someone self employed, a small 2 hour job is a pain in the arse as it's likely you will not be able to fill the rest of your day. as someone else said they probably put in a high price hoping they would be turned down.

Also doing stuff for money with friends doesn't always go well, especially if one of them feels hard done by or doesn't pay for ages it can cause arguements.

Don't forget that charges also have to include paying for vehicles (associated tax, insurance, fuel), additional staff for admin and payroll, premesis, advertising, subscriptions to stuff like niceic, eca, and QA accreditation, training (which is just daft the amount of health and safety crap you must have these days), also in my firm we spend weeks putting in for jobs that we may not get - the cost of this time must be recovered. the list goes on and on. Don't forget they have to cover for the times when they have no work.

I would help out a mate if they were totally stuck but i would never do weekend work unless I was getting paid silly money for it.

If you think your being ripped off then go elsewhere. Nobody (except maybe my mother :bangin: ) would go with the first insurance company they got a quote off so why do it with tradesmen

Also comparing with site workers is not really applicable. I know a few site joiners who work on big sites and i wouldn't let them anywhere near my house. You often pay the extra cash to get the job right first time by someone who takes pride in their work.

Make sure you state how neat and well done everything must be done. If they don't work to the standard that you have stated then don't pay them until it's right. If you find a tradesman who does a crap job then charges a lot. make sure you tell everyone you know to stay away. it is those people who give everyone else a bad name and are the reason why every trader has to pay rip-off prices for liability insurance etc.

Still not worth £300 a day, sorry dude!

Makes me f#cking mad when I see comments about so called rip off tradesmen.

I am a self employed plumber,heating intaller and Gas Registered intaller.

Every five years i have to undertake training and assessments at my cost to carrying out gas work.So thats a week not earning money but shelling out.

I pay to register with Gas Safe anually

I pay public liability insurance.

I did 5 years apprentiship on crap money.

I pay an accountant to do my books.

I have a van full of expensive tools some of which need replacing on a regular basis.

I go and survey jobs which I may never get at no cost to the prospective client.

I come to you to do my work.

I am sorry if some of think I dont deserve to make a decent livng.

There is a difference between me and some site monkey who does a bit of work on the side.

Dont tar us all with the same brush!!

While I am having a rant I have seen another thread on this forum where members were encouraging others to fit their own boilers including gas work "after all its only plumbing" Totally bloody irresponsible!!

Would you be happy if your neighbour carried out his own gas work?

I have only read the first two pages of this thread so this post may not be in context to comments made recently.

I have no argumants with what you say however it is only plumbers and sparkys that I am aware of who have to keep their qualifications up to date and in my mind both plumbers and sparkys are and should be paid the most out of all tradesman (again I have friends who are plumbers who do site, induatrial and domestic work and electricians who do industrial and domestic work). I would not expect to get a plumber for a full day for £120 however a joiner I would but I would go up to £150. A labourer I wouldn't pay more than £60 a day and no more then £90 for a painter of plasterer. But those prices are my views as I know, and have done in the past, that I can get fully qualified, experienced and highly skilled people in these trades for that money.

Going back the the original post, the tradesman was laying a laminate floor, it really doesn't take much skill, a few tools but nothing unusual. Stuarty agreed the job would take 2 days and agreed to the price of the job and so should pay it, as he did. If it had been me I think I would have better estimated the time the job would have taken. As a £150 day rate for a joiner is reasonable to me but then again I wouldn't have gotten a highly skilled joiner in for that job. Fitting doors, making cabinets etc then yes but not for laying a laminate floor that was most likely click lock. I paid a friend to lay my laminate floor that was made of bamboo and so a bit tricky, the room was 6m x 4.5m with a few things that needed to be cut around (fire place half etc), it took him 1.5 days, we agreed on £100 a day but in the end I paid him £250 as he cleaned up after himself and didn't leave sawdust everywhere (he wasn't an experienced and fully trained joiner but he knew what he was doning and had done plenty of joinery work in the past).

Edited by jell36

Im a carpenter/joiner and employ other tradesmen but unfortunately i don't live anywere near scotland but for that money would quite happily relocate :D Down in sunny devon the average price for a cash job is about £150 a day.

I would say though that sometimes you have to take the rough with the smooth, He could of just as easily had an absolute nightmare fitting your flooring and taken 3 days to fit it but i'm damn sure you wouldn't have offered him anymore money irrelevant of how good a job he'd done.

Sorry I disagree, if the guy said £300 and would take 2 days fine. If I came home and as you said had a nightmare doing the job, I would honestly give him extra. But I expect the same in return.

Sorry I disagree, if the guy said £300 and would take 2 days fine. If I came home and as you said had a nightmare doing the job, I would honestly give him extra. But I expect the same in return.

Then my friend you are in a very small minority and fair play to you :thumbs:

Id just like to add not all of us are like that and i don't know about the chap you used but i have over £60k's worth of tools in my lock up which unfortunately need paying for some how :)

Makes me f#cking mad when I see comments about so called rip off tradesmen.

I am a self employed plumber,heating intaller and Gas Registered intaller.

Every five years i have to undertake training and assessments at my cost to carrying out gas work.So thats a week not earning money but shelling out.

I pay to register with Gas Safe anually

I pay public liability insurance.

I did 5 years apprentiship on crap money.

I pay an accountant to do my books.

I have a van full of expensive tools some of which need replacing on a regular basis.

I go and survey jobs which I may never get at no cost to the prospective client.

I come to you to do my work.

I am sorry if some of think I dont deserve to make a decent livng.

There is a difference between me and some site monkey who does a bit of work on the side.

Dont tar us all with the same brush!!

While I am having a rant I have seen another thread on this forum where members were encouraging others to fit their own boilers including gas work "after all its only plumbing" Totally bloody irresponsible!!

Would you be happy if your neighbour carried out his own gas work?

I have only read the first two pages of this thread so this post may not be in context to comments made recently.

Also, alhough you didn't, I hate it when plumbers call them selves heating engineers. An engineer is a very different job and in Germany it is illegal to call yourself an engineer unless you have the qualifiactions and in America it is highly frowned upon and considered a lie unless you have the qualifications and are a memeber of an engineering council. In the UK we have highly regarded engineering councils like the Institute of Mechanical Engineers of which I am a chartered member of but the IMechE does sod all to protect the engineering name.

Sorry not directed at you specifically stanzed, rant over.

Id just like to add not all of us are like that and i don't know about the chap you used but i have over £60k's worth of tools in my lock up which unfortunately need paying for some how :)

And if I stayed in England, rather than Scotland my education would cost me over £100k

£60,000 worth of tools? Are you running a workshop or are they not just joinery tools or do you have multiples? As that seems a little excessive.

Granted my dad has about that in tools but £30,000 of that is a big workshop saw thing that cuts, planes, mitres, routersand all the rest of it but that's an industrial unit that runs off a 3 phase power supply. The rest of his stuff like the dewalt drills, paslode nail guns, dewalt mitre saws, dewalt table saws, laser levels, several routers etc are only worht around 30K at the most and I don't think he is missing any tools.

Also, although you didn't, I hate it when plumbers call them selves heating engineers. An engineer is a very different job and in Germany it is illegal to call yourself an engineer unless you have the qualifications and in America it is highly frowned upon and considered a lie unless you have the qualifications and are a member of an engineering council. In the UK we have highly regarded engineering councils like the Institute of Mechanical Engineers of which I am a chartered member of but the IMechE does sod all to protect the engineering name.

Interesting and I agree and this is a whole new box of frogs ... the term "Engineer" covers many things in the UK and has, IMO, been severely bastardised and diluted over the years ... for instance, being able to successfully change the spark plugs on a tractor does not make you an engineer, whereas knowing how to design the engine and the best place to put the spark plugs in a tractor probably does

• Like 1

And if I stayed in England, rather than Scotland my education would cost me over £100k

I did a 5 year apprenticeship for £27.50 a week yts money and payed for my own college courses aswell whilst being a young married man with children so paid my dues too.

Not saying that what you paid was right and agree it was to expensive but just because i haven't got a degree doesn't meen im not entitled to earn a good living.

Still not worth £300 a day, sorry dude!

Fair point, it is expensive but surely a fast worker (who may have invested a lot in tools to do a faster job) should be rewarded for his speed, not penalised. MY mate set up his own plastering firm. He undercuts many rival firms (based on price per square metre. Yet he is super fast and does an amazing job. If the price is based on the size of the job - and it is a fair price, then surely the client is the winner if he gets it done in half the time?

This guy turned up at my house with an auld tool box, with a hammer, saw, couple of screw drivers and a silicon gun in it. I could have bought the lot for a fiver!

Most joiners wouldn't need anymore than £500 worth of tools and they can claim them back on there tax, I bet!

• Like 1

I wonder what job you do stuarty? I am self-employed, definitely do not overcharge and do a bloody good job to boot. However, my overheads (which people probably don't even consider) are fairly substantial - insurance, electricity, heating bills, machinery, website hosting and design, phone bills, staff wages, expensive printing inks (I use various types and the price of some makes your eyes water), stock costs, advertising (huge amount is spent on this), bank charges, business rates etc, etc.

If I did some work for you you'd probably think, she's only got an old Roadster so why should I, with my 45K worth of cars, pay her a living wage?

£60,000 worth of tools? Are you running a workshop or are they not just joinery tools or do you have multiples? As that seems a little excessive.

Granted my dad has about that in tools but £30,000 of that is a big workshop saw thing that cuts, planes, mitres, routersand all the rest of it but that's an industrial unit that runs off a 3 phase power supply. The rest of his stuff like the dewalt drills, paslode nail guns, dewalt mitre saws, dewalt table saws, laser levels, several routers etc are only worht around 30K at the most and I don't think he is missing any tools.

Whilst i'm only a mere 39 years of age :teeth: I directly employ other tradesmen and have the old school mentality that they should only have to supply there hand tools and a cordless so with that in mind i have multiples of the same power tools :thumbs:

I agree, you and all other trades should make a good living but not £300 a day. Also my education was free because I live in Scotland but if I lived in England it would have been different.

I did a 5 year apprenticeship for £27.50 a week yts money and payed for my own college courses aswell whilst being a young married man with children so paid my dues too.

Not saying that what you paid was right and agree it was to expensive but just because i haven't got a degree doesn't meen im not entitled to earn a good living.

This guy turned up at my house with an auld tool box, with a hammer, saw, couple of screw drivers and a silicon gun in it. I could have bought the lot for a fiver!

Most joiners wouldn't need anymore than £500 worth of tools and they can claim them back on there tax, I bet!

What world do you live in Most joiners even one man band joiners will have at leat 5-10k invested in tools

Whilst i'm only a mere 39 years of age :teeth: I directly employ other tradesmen and have the old school mentality that they should only have to supply there hand tools and a cordless so with that in mind i have multiples of the same power tools :thumbs:

Ah ok, that's more than fair enough then. So the cost of the tools aren't just covered by the work that you do but also the work that your employees do.

Ah ok, that's more than fair enough then. So the cost of the tools aren't just covered by the work that you do but also the work that your employees do.

Exactly ;) But I still think that the op was over charged just trying to say were not all like it.

I would be careful with this one as I agree you were on a low wage during your apprenticeship but what do you think students are earning when they are studying at uni. For me it was a part time supermarket job as it could accomodate the hours I could work and I needed the money, I came out with around £80 a week (working evening after a full day at uni, engineering isn't like most uni courses, it's generally 30 hours a week minimum not 6 hours like some other courses), my friends in apprenticeships at the same time were coming out with around £250 a week

Exactly ;) But I still think that the op was over charged just trying to say were not all like it.

:lol: I'm not trying to say all are like it, as I said my dad is an experienced and highly regarded joiner and he only charges £120 a day, £150 a day is perfectly reasonable to me.

Sounds like to me someone's looked at how easy it is to do laminate flooring, and thought "Chuff me, I could do that! I've made a bit of a mistake here by getting someone else to do it..."

Are you actually saying that no-one is worth charging £300 a day? Or what jobs do you feel should be worth it?