Tradesmen????

stuarty

I'm sure most folk who who earn £350 a week would do an extra shift for £70 (£350/ 5 days). Not £40!!

Okay, assuming you're on £350 p/w would you do an extra shift at the weekend for £70 then?

On what I earn a week, and I wouldn't work a 6th day for the same amount pro rata. As I said, my spare time is more valuable than work time. Work to live, not live to work. That doesn't mean I don't do the graft when required, but it does mean that I do get to enjoy the time I have off.

I think I can understand a differnce here, you can live comfortably and happily on your wages I guess and so working the weekend would have to really be worth your while. Now although I certainly can't speak for all tradesman, most that I know are happy to work the weekend because they could do with the money (not essential to them like they would loose their house or something but a nicety so they don't have to watch every penny or so they could buy themselves something nice like a 350Z)

I think the point I'm trying to make in this thread is that I'm sick and tired of listening to friends and family of these tradesmen complaining that poor wee Johnnie the self employed joiner has no work. And that how they wish he had a job like mine where he had a steady wage.

Then I think, I need some work done, I'll give poor wee Johnnie some work. Then the dick comes to your house and charges me £300 for a days work, when there's folk at my work bursting there ass to take home £350 for a week.

No offence, but that's your fault for employing people you think are too expensive. I'm sure you can find someone cheaper, but will you get as good a job done? Sometimes you will, sometimes you won't. Pot luck.

If you think they're expensive then you don't use them again. If the people where you work would like to earn the same kind of money, why don't they re-train and do it?

I think I can understand a differnce here, you can live comfortably and happily on your wages I guess and so working the weekend would have to really be worth your while. Now although I certainly can't speak for all tradesman, most that I know are happy to work the weekend because they could do with the money (not essential to them like they would loose their house or something but a nicety so they don't have to watch every penny or so they could buy themselves something nice like a 350Z)

Bingo. And well put.

I could work more and get more money, but then I'd have less time to actually enjoy it.

D'you know what, I've never had to encounter one apart from the solicitors I used when I bought my house 10 years ago. I have no idea if they're generally expensive or if it's a myth.

Fair enough, to be honest I don't know if they are expensive but they seem it. But then again you may meet with them for an hour and it costs £250 but then I don't know how much time they have had to spend sorting out paperwork and arranging things before hand. And then there's the things that have been mentioned like their overheads, the cost of training etc.

Flexib, I did shop around for prices and the prices I paid where the best I could get. Also I'm not looking for any retribution here, as I had my retribution cancelling there next job.

Fact is if your doing one days work for a friend of a friend cash in hand and you charge £300 in central Scotland then your a dick in my book.

Flexib, I did shop around for prices and the prices I paid where the best I could get. Also I'm not looking for any retribution here, as I had my retribution cancelling there next job.

Fact is if your doing one days work for a friend of a friend cash in hand and you charge £300 in central Scotland then your a dick in my book.

To be honest though, from a friend of a friend I wouldn't expect mates rates or anything. I'm not saying the chap wasn't expensive I'm just saying I wouldn't expect him to do you any favours. A direct friend however I would expect a good price.

• Like 1

To be honest though, from a friend of a friend I wouldn't expect mates rates or anything. I'm not saying the chap wasn't expensive I'm just saying I wouldn't expect him to do you any favours. A direct friend however I would expect a good price.

I took a day of work a couple of weeks ago to help a friend move, I only charged him £350 :lol:

• Like 1

Thing is I earn a really good wage but most folk don't know it, but I think the problem with "these" tradesmen is that there sitting in there shity wee houses, with there clapped out cars. Then they turn up at my house, take one look at it, then see the £45k worth of cars in the drive and think "happy days"!

I'm not saying that applies to all tradesmen, but I know the one's I've used!

Thank god you're not in Scotland, you'd be a dick! :p

Hey!! I am a dick!

@ stuarty, you're not allowed to like that post!!

I'm a dick most of the time too. I just don't like others being dicks! Lol.

What makes things worse is that you're a posh dick with 45k worth of cars in your drive :p

Mines only worth £7k and it's hidden away in my garage, in my modest end of terrace house :D