"The slowing of Britain" (Article in The Economist)

ianphampton

Article in this week's Economist - thought the forum would be interested, too

The slowing of Britain

Stringent restrictions are coming to a road near you

Feb 2nd 2013 |From the print edition

Over the past decade the proportion of cars breaking the speed limit has declined on most roads. The steepest drop has been recorded for 30mph (48kph) zones, which are mostly applied to residential streets (see chart). The reasons are unclear, but probably have something to do with ubiquitous speed cameras, more expensive fuel and a demographic shift among road-users: there are more cautious old drivers and fewer reckless young ones.

Still, 30mph strikes many local authorities as altogether too speedy. In 2008 Portsmouth became the first city in Britain to reduce the speed limits on practically all residential roads to 20mph. Authorities from Bristol to Liverpool have announced plans for similarly drastic slowdowns. Though precise figures are lacking, the rollout of 20mph zones seems to be accelerating, thanks to good reviews of the Portsmouth scheme, campaigning and local authorities copying each other. And they are growing in ambition. By the end of March Islington council in north London will impose a 20mph speed limit on every road it controls. It claims to be the first council to do so.

The government has updated the advice it gives traffic authorities. It now encourages them to consider 20mph restrictions not just in residential areas, but also on busier roads where the numbers of pedestrians and cyclists are—or could be—significant. In April local authorities will assume responsibility for promoting public health. Therefore programmes that create more exercise-friendly environments and reduce accidents are bound to become more attractive.

Slower roads appear to be safer. A paper published in the British Medical Journal looking at accident data from 1986 to 2006 gave London’s 20mph zones credit for a reduction in casualties by 42%. Accidents that do happen at slower speeds are less harmful: the Transport Research Laboratory found that approximately 98% of pedestrians will survive a 20mph collision. Their chances drop to around 93% at 30mph and 69% at 40mph.

Casualties declined despite the fact that slow speed limits are often ignored. Portsmouth’s scheme has no traffic-calming humps, chicanes or the like. Speed is controlled merely by signs, a cheap solution increasingly popular with cash-strapped councils. The average speed there has dropped by just 1.3mph, according to the Department for Transport. Brian MacDowall of the Alliance of British Drivers concedes that 20mph limits can be a good idea, but argues that area-wide schemes could encourage a lack of respect for speed limits in general.

“It’s no state secret that there’s no enforcement,†says Kate Carpenter of the Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation. Police enthusiasm on the topic is indeed rather muted, and the Association of Chief Police Officers does not support large-scale 20mph limits. But a lack of enforcement will not necessarily prove terminal. An increasing familiarity with, and acceptance of, 20mph limits in residential areas is preparing drivers for their wider implementation. And in the past, road users have changed their attitudes. Perhaps urban speeding will become as scorned as drink-driving. “People are going to have to change their ways,†says Zahur Khan, Islington’s head of traffic. Drivers had better get used to the charms of second, as well as top, gear.

I have no problem with residential 30s being changed into 20s. I'm far more worried about open, well-sighted, rural roads being made into 50s. :(

Thanks for sharing. Interesting how the average speed doesn't drop much, though.

Agreed, no issues with 30's becoming 20 where required but as Ekona says its important they don't just make well sited roads 50's or even 40's.

Lots of national limit roads near me have recently become 40's for what appears to be no reason.

I think it's about time the government looked at motorway speed limits being variable and made to match the driving conditions. Slower limits if its raining, busy etc and higher limits when the motorway is quiet and fine weather.

agree that I'd be worried about changing rural 60s down to slower speeds just for the sake of it. Most 30s I can think of I wouldn't mind being 20 however there are some that shouldn't even be 30 at the mo and would be more suited to 40 so a blanket 20 I don't think is right. better to assess roads individually. its the only way to do it properly but guess that means spending money and the government (local authorities) can't normally be bothered to do things right.

I know the 20 MPH Zones are been phased in gradually in London....around schools OK but not everywhere..In the rush hour

you never go above 20 anyway, but when there is a break in traffic its nice to at least be able to do the limit (wink wink).

This Health & Safety culture has gone mad..!!

:drive1

In the last year the road behind my house dropped from a 60 to a 50 and then 3 months later to a 40.

Its a big hill about a mile long and has 2 turnings off it with no direct access to houses.

Bit mad in my eyes?!

The problem is bad science advising the legislators. Studies start with the conclusion and then fit the hypothesis to match. No awareness of cause and effect.

If stats dictate the speed then make the speed limit outside schools 70mph- because motorways are statistically our safest roads and these have a 70mph limit.

Before everyone rants at me for advocating 70mph outside schools- I'm not! I'm illustrating the warped thinking that controls the decisions made by the powers that be. (and anyone driving fast in a built up area is a total muppet)

Edited by Bergwerk06

Easiest solution? Remove all speed limits, and toughen up the test for dangerous driving. You do the speed you consider safe, but be prepared to defend it in court at risk of 10 years in the clink.

Makes 30mph past a school at 3pm incredibly stupid, but allows 120mph on a clear motorway in good conditions.

30mph in built up areas is fine, 60 for dual's and possibly an increase to 80 on motorways I'd say... BUT... if you need to drive slower in any circumstance thats up to the driver to decide, they should be able to realise when to slow it down or drive more on the cautious side. Lowering speed limits isn't going to help I doubt, people will keep at the normal speed it was if its considered 'too slow' by the general public. I'm not exactly Mr. 20's plenty myself, but I still use my head... I could go 60 on this road, i'm allowed to...but theres stuff in front or its wet or whatever, so I'll stick to 50 maybe lower if needed .....all depends on YOU. :)

Just to be controversial, how about the powers that stop trying to save us from ourselves which is adding to an increase in population and an accelerated demise of the planet. Dropping speed limits is a short sighted short term approach. We should all get to do what we like including going out backwards, through a hedge, in a ball of flames, preferably with a john player special in one hand and a mobile phone in the other!

Just to be controversial, how about the powers that stop trying to save us from ourselves which is adding to an increase in population and an accelerated demise of the planet. Dropping speed limits is a short sighted short term approach. We should all get to do what we like including going out backwards, through a hedge, in a ball of flames, preferably with a john player special in one hand and a mobile phone in the other!

There's nothing stopping you from doing that....

We should all get to do what we like including going out backwards, through a hedge, in a ball of flames, preferably with a john player special in one hand and a mobile phone in the other!

There's nothing stopping you from doing that....

yeah but I'd like to be inside the law doing it!! wouldn't want my licence stamped :lol: