How to shoot yourself in the foot, the BBC way...

spursmaddave

Saw this yesterday.

It's one of those situations where something filmed in early 2000 is put on repeat and pushed out, as many kids programs are. I wouldn't expect the BBC to sit down and watch every kids program in case they contain something which now would be deemed inappropriate. However, maybe there should be better descriptions on each episode and some form of checking before things are aired.

Saw this yesterday.

It's one of those situations where something filmed in early 2000 is put on repeat and pushed out, as many kids programs are. I wouldn't expect the BBC to sit down and watch every kids program in case they contain something which now would be deemed inappropriate. However, maybe there should be better descriptions on each episode and some form of checking before things are aired.

I would

Do you think they actually watched it? Most likely just playing a series on repeat. It wasn't as if the tweeny was having sex with a child. I think people are just hyper sensitive. It was made before the allegations. Was not offensive, but apparently is now. Yes jimmy did a lot of very horrible stuff. Its happened, the police are dealing with it. I think people need to man up a bit when it comes to references of stuff. Does this mean they will no longer show episodes of top of the pops 2 just because you might see images of jimmy introducing music. Oh the horror.

• Like 2

Do you think they actually watched it? Most likely just playing a series on repeat. It wasn't as if the tweeny was having sex with a child. I think people are just hyper sensitive. It was made before the allegations. Was not offensive, but apparently is now. Yes jimmy did a lot of very horrible stuff. Its happened, the police are dealing with it. I think people need to man up a bit when it comes to references of stuff. Does this mean they will no longer show episodes of top of the pops 2 just because you might see images of jimmy introducing music. Oh the horror.

^This.

Do we now employ people to sit and watch EVERY episode of EVERY Children's type program made over the past 20 years to see if there is a slight reference in there which may now seem inappropriate?. I would rather my licence money be used elsewhere (Other other topic there!). I saw this on Sunday with my kids and certainly didn't choke on my cornflakes, It's embarrassing for the BBC, but nothing to get too worked up about imho

Given that Saville will never see a courtroom to decide his guilt, I'm perfectly comfortable with seeing his stuff on the TV. No, I don't think there should be a huge 12 hour marathon dedicated to him, but neither do I need to be completely protected from ever seeing his image again.

Once again, Brass Eye's paedo special is proving dangerously close to the mark.

Really? One tiny mistake on a programme that was probably scheduled a year ago since it's a repeat makes the whole BBC look incompetent? I agree that there's some things they need to look into, but this really isn't one of them. I wouldn't want them to pay someone to sit there and watch every single programme that goes out just before it's aired just in case there's something in there that someone somewhere might or might not take offence to.

Not sure you can be hypersensitive about peadophiles can you :shrug:

Of those commenting how many actually have kids :stir:

I do - and would stop them watching that episode - not because of the programme content, which was pretty harmless, but just ........... because

I think there is a difference between attitude towards kiddy fiddlers and the BBC airing a program which was made 12 years ago included in a long run of repeats in which the character mimics someone implicated in a recent scandal.

:boxing:

Have to agree.

And how exactly are kids going to be harmed from by watching a Tweenie in a shell suit? These things have to be taken in context.

Mumsnet is amazing. Whenever I feel like I'm overreacting, I go over there and have a browse. An hour later, I know that I really don't overreact when compared to others :lol:

Exactly, I am the same when I think that women are pointless moaning whingy creatures I watch loose women and all is well in the world because I am indeed correct :lol: