General Mileage Consensus?

Mikey

Basically just wondering what mileage everyone considers ok? Looking to buy a zed after a long debate with myself its the only car thats sticks out to me, obviously will be looking for FSH, seen alot ranging from around 50k-90k miles in my (pitiful) budget, but i'd plan on keeping it a while so was also wondering if they hold value when they have pretty high mileage? I dont want to keep it for a good amount of years and then struggle to sell it when the time comes, but i thought i'd ask people who know other than Smudge Don because he's sick of me now lol

Any help appreciated, cheers guys.

Seen a couple UK models that suit what i want but they are on about 80k, FSH etc and obviously i'd go look/test drive first but that would be okay then? Thanks for the fast replies by the way, bit under educated on 350's at the moment but reading up gradually! What about re-sale? Do people still buy with big mileage?

its going to depreciate anyway, as the car is gettign old, most are cheap, but the ones in good condition are starting to become a bit harder to find. so people will start to buy for quality maintainance and not just for lowest miles. of course one that has both will always sell faster.

If you're looking at cars closing in on 100k, i'd be wanting a decent history file with evidence of attention to bushes/drop links etc. Possibly a clutch change too, although with sympathetic driving there's no reason it can't exceed 100k miles.

I would'n't be too hung up on mileage, more on condition. Some evidence of service history is always nice. And don't let DIY service history put you off, I would rate that far above Nissan Service history as an enthusiast takes alot more care of thier car and generally knows more about the car than most main dealers.

A well maintained one should go on for couple hundred K easy.

I appreciate its very hard to check, but if a seller mentions its ok to run on 95Ron, or it uses a little oil, personally I'd just walk away as its not worth the risk of any underlying problems that may have been caused.

Engine mileage wouldn't bother me at all, it's the interiors that are seeming to wear pretty badly. Okay, so none of them were great in the first place, but all the ones I've looked at recently don't seem to be looking pretty good at all (notable exceptions to the guys in here who keep them pristine). Not sure how the suspension components hold up, I think it's pretty good as I'm not sure there's too many who have had them replaced as they've failed. A good sign if you ask me. :)

I had a rear shock on my 350z go at just 22k miles! Still, a replacement from alex was really cheap and litterally a 10minute job to swap over.

Mileage is a funny thing. Nearly all my cars ive taken well over 100k miles on them, some ive sold at 175k and still going strong. But, there still is that psychological thing with buyers that anything over 100k is bad.

Zeds drop in price like mad these days due to not everyone being able to afford to run a big thirsty sports car, so if the car is a minter with high mileage then i dont really think the resale will be affected any more than a normal mileage one.

Thanks alot for the help guys, and yeah i understand it will depreciate like all cars really but i didnt want it to end up being worth nothing, seems the majority vote is condition not mileage at least, the only ones i've looked at all have FSH and seem decent so i'll keep my eye out

My car is on 94k miles and still runs mint. SMD's is on even more. Engines are generally reliable. Buy on condition more than on mileage IMO. .

Bought mine December 2009 on 72k, now on just over 109k and never had an issue, doesn't use oil, gets fed (supposedly) rubbish Sainsbury Super Unleaded, so far 4 services and 3 MOT's and apart from new brake pads/discs & Tyres nothing else has needed replacing... everything else was through choice :lol:

TBH it depends. If you are buying an 80k and will put 40k miles so it will have 120k. You bought the car for cheap so you can sell it for cheap.

Alot of buyers are older guys and its all about the miles for them usually.

This is very true, I bought my Zed for just over £10k 3 years ago :yahoo:

Ok so now it is probably worth about £500 :console:

And don't let DIY service history put you off, I would rate that far above Nissan Service history as an enthusiast takes alot more care of thier car and generally knows more about the car than most main dealers.

+1 !

We just serviced my dads honda legend which has full honda service history! Filters not been changed in ages!!

But apparantly Honda just done it 200 miles ago!!! Hmm having to break the old filter to get it off doesnt ring any bells of 200 miles!

Hence DIY Is much better, as i can honestly say its been done. ( i now keep receipts for all my z bits regardless of what it is mod or service etc)

I sold mine last year with 91k miles on it. Was running sweet as ever. Only reason I sold up was cos of the decreasing value. Put over 40k miles on it in around 3 years and it ran as well on the day I sold it as the day I bought it

Like mentioned earlier it's psychological, an extra digit but it's just a number

My cousin only buys cars with over 100k cos of the value but he rarely has problems. His current xc90 is sitting with around 150k with no real problems

I read somwhere that the Z33 was deigned to run reliably for 200.000 miles. This obviously means that it has been regularly serviced by a reputable garage and anything that is getting worn is replaced. The general concensus is that 100,000 motorway miles is better for the car than a 3 mile trek down to Tesco's to do the shopping. As long as for the first three years or 75000 miles its serviced by a decent Nissan garage its going to carry more weight than 3 years service at Joe's shed (i'm not decrying Joe here) next to a scrapyard. Plus you're not going to screw up your warranty. My clutch went at 35000 miles, i;ve had new cars before a never had a clutch go before 78000 miles and Nissan were of little help. There is a Zed for sale on Piston Heads this week with over 183000 on the clock. This is something i'd steer well clear of as i can imagine the ancilliaries are going to start falling to bits pretty quickly. There's no guarantee buying second hand other than to take a member with you for some expert advice. Mine is on 75000 and still runs beautifully and i wouldn't change it for the world.

I read an interview by one of the 350z designers (can't remember the spelling of his name) a while ago and he was of the opinion that the motor was designed to last for 200,000 miles and that was with a service every 9000 miles. No doubt if service intervals were shorter then thry'd last a fair bit longer than that .

I read an interview by one of the 350z designers (can't remember the spelling of his name) a while ago and he was of the opinion that the motor was designed to last for 200,000 miles and that was with a service every 9000 miles. No doubt if service intervals were shorter then thry'd last a fair bit longer than that .

I service mine every 6k so I'd want even more than 200k.

Well the vg30 that your engine was its predessor, has regularly been seen to hit 300k but 150k is more realistic, serving is a massive factor and I expect the z33 to follow suit. Over time they will suffer neglect due to being too reliable, thats when they v8 will start breaking.