The 2013 F1 Chat Thread

Beavis

Nice vid there, jumping350 :thumbs:

although like we have seen in recent years the designer that has best engineered their car to make the most of the rules applying at the time is the most instrumental factor in race results unless a set of circumstances, that no one could have predicted, dictate the outcomes.

How true, I can only think of a couple of drivers in the modern era say 1967 onwards who've won the championship in an inferior car. MSC is one of them, Keke Rosberg the other and you could possibly throw Alonso into the mix as well. Even at the peak of their powers I doubt that Schuey/Senna/Prost could have got the HRT into the points. On the other hand, the better drivers always seem to finish up in the best cars. Although I'm looking forward to this season I can't really look beyond Vettel and Alonso battling it out again.

Pete

Then why didn't Webber finish second last year? Or the year before?

Mainly beacause his car seemed to carry more issues than Vettels - how many times did he lose the use of the Kers on his car compared to Seb, as an example.....

Then why didn't Webber finish second last year? Or the year before?

Mainly beacause his car seemed to carry more issues than Vettels - how many times did he lose the use of the Kers on his car compared to Seb, as an example.....

+1 and Helmut does not like him.

Plus Webber and Vettel have different driving styles. The car is designed and set up with Vettels style in mind, as most teams will do with their #1 driver.

Also Webber whilst a good driver, and likeable chap, it's fair to say that he is probably not one of the top 6 drivers on the grid.

Am I the only person that thinks whilst Vettel is good, his ability is nowhere near the level his stats (relative to his rivals) over the last 3 seasons would suggest?

This is simply not true.

Many fans with sour grapes over his dominance say this sort of thing, but he is an amazing driver. He can race through the field as he has demonstrated many times. Also he usually drives the PERFECT race weekend by qualifying on pole, being the fastest driver in the opening phases of the race (when it matters the most to get away from the trouble) then nursing / cruising to the finish.

I don't understand how it is possible to be a better driver than this, or am I missing something? :shrug:

If that doesn't provide evidence enough take a look at this record of Torro Rosso's performance:

torrorosso_zps8bfcf5ef.jpg

I only see one yellow square on there, which happens to be in the year when TR had their best championship position despite Bordais only scoring points twice.

:blush:

• 3 weeks later...

Not long to go now :). Some interesting news being reported by the BBC and others is that Honda is to return in 2015, once again linking up with McLaren. Other rumours I'm picking up on suggest that 2 major manufacturers are also looking to enter F1 in a couple of years time. One is believed to be Hyundai the other a well known German sports car maker who have recently hired a dozen or so people from within F1 ;) ..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21655985

Pete

Only the first qualifying session held, loads of offs and sessions 2 & 3 tomorrow (5.15am on BBC) before the race.

For those with Sky F1 it's live from 11.45 p.m tonight.

Pete

So I got back from the pub last night and watched quali. got a couple of hours kip then was up at 5 to watch the race. was worth it. Great first race! :D i'm a bit weary now though but at least i know i'll sleep well tonight.

Very true, I went last year with the GF in the Club Silverstone stand, two weekend tickets + camping set me back about £1,000, it was amazing though.

I need to find somewhere or someone who can tell me how much stand tickets are in Melbourne so I can budget for next year, the only prices I can find are for tours.